Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Opel Corsa Sail 1.4 Engine heating problem. Please Help!

Hi
I've been facing this problem for a couple of days now. Last sunday my car broke down. In fact it just stopped while i was driving on the Hebbal ring road in Bangalore. He would jsut not start after that and I had to have the vehicle towed to the workshop. there was a chain reaction and several parts had to be replaced after checking.
Here's what was replaced:
TDC Sensor
Ignition Coil
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Idler Bearing
Alternator Bearing
AC Gas Recharge and repair
AC main pipe replacement( The AC work was past pending work and not part of the breakdown)

After the repairs without my knowledge the mechanics set the timing and the tappets of the engine. This was done without using a computer and cheking the ECU maps. I was unaware of this until my driver told me that this had been done so.After I received my car, I ran well for the day. The next day the engine started heating up drastically. I opened the bonnet to just check and righ there in front of my eyes, the coolant pipe from the radiator to the engine tore and all the coolant sprayed out. I had the mechanic come and replace the pipe. The car ran well after that. Yesterday the over heating incident happened again while the AC was running. I switched of the AC and allowed the car to cool and then drove back home.

I am now concerned about the engine health itself because Im still unsure of the problem after having spent more than 20k to have it fixed. I desperately need someone to help me in this regard. I want to have my maps check and see ifthe timing or anything else is causing the over heating. Sundaram motors just wont help me in this regard and RAC also doesn't have the facility to have ECU checked.

Please advice since I plan to drive out of town on the 12th of Jan.

Can some experts please advice me and give me some reliable contacts who can check the issue and fix it for me.

Thanks and Regards

Stevie
Old 5th January 2010, 16:23   #2
BHPian

Stevie,
Could u check if the electric fan starts running once you feel that the engine is warm enough?
Old 5th January 2010, 18:35   #3
BHPian

Like ilangop mentioned, check the fan if it's coming on after idling for a few minutes, Also get the cooling system checked, the water pump could be malfunctioning or the thermostat valve might be clogged.
Old 5th January 2010, 19:49   #4
BHPian

Check if the radiator fan works in 2 speeds...

Low when AC switched on if car is cool..

High when the car becomes hot.

You should feel the pressure of the Air when the fan rotates.

If the fan is slow or doesn't start when Car is hot and AC switched on or if it doesn't start till the car reaches hot temp on the indicator, You radiator fan has gone weak. Get it replaced.

Last edited by humm : 5th January 2010 at 19:50.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Take it back to the garage and pour that hot coolant on their heads!

Ok first check if the coolant circuit is working fine, including the radiator fan. This should work when engine is heated up and when AC is working. Culprits can be blown fuse, loose couplers or the fan itself.

Also check if the timing belt was installed properly?

Where was this done, at dealer service or road side garage?
Old 7th January 2010, 17:12   #6
BHPian

i had a similar problem of overheating, strangely changing the alternator seem to reduce engine temperature.
Old 12th January 2010, 06:39   #7
BHPian

You might want to just have the coolant circuit double checked. Several years ago I faced a somewhat similar issue with my Corsa Sail. I stopped let the vehicle cool down a bit, called suppport, they came by and simply said the fuse was blown. They replaced a fuse free of charge (and in 2004 a fuse was around 50 Rs or so). The vehicle has been fine on that front.
That said, you might want to check if there is any leakage, if the instal is proper and if the thermostat is functioning normal.
Corsa is supported by GM on service and they do a good job. Minus some service engineer not understanding the problem and therefore not fixing it well my experience with most of the GM workshps in Bangalore, Pune, Delhi and Mumbai has exceeded expectation. If the problem persists PM me and I can guide you to a place which will fix the problem.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:38   #8
BHPian

When was the last time you got the coolant replaced?
The coolant should be changed 2 - 3 years max.
After that it looses its cooling and anti-corrosive properties.
If the coolant is not able to do its work , the over heating can
damage other parts as well.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:17   #9
BHPian

Try Frontline Automobiles. Ask for their best mechanic, service advisor, and also consult their service manager on the situation. Ask for a diagnosis only and then post it here for us to analyze.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:58   #10
BHPian

Please check your radiator fan or your thermostat . i suggest ya get it fixed as soon as possible as these heating issues cant permanently damage engine components . Also let us know how you fixed the issues for reference .
Old 13th January 2010, 00:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TDC Sensor
Ignition Coil
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Idler Bearing
Alternator Bearing
most parts were unrelated and replaced. I am boing! boing! on this.

Was the heating issue there before the above repair, or the car breakdown.

If no, the culprit may be AC related. the compressor may be putting stress on the engine.
Old 13th January 2010, 02:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
most parts were unrelated and replaced. I am boing! boing! on this.

Was the heating issue there before the above repair, or the car breakdown.

If no, the culprit may be AC related. the compressor may be putting stress on the engine.
I believe when the car initially broke down, that wasnt due to heating. All these parts were changed when it first broke down due to whatsoever reason and post that the heating problem has emerged.
Old 13th January 2010, 02:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I believe when the car initially broke down, that wasnt due to heating. All these parts were changed when it first broke down due to whatsoever reason and post that the heating problem has emerged.
looks like it broke down because timing belt snapped. as he was doing that he's replaced water pump (common practice). something has been screwed up in the process of doing that.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ooh! water pump was also changed!!

just do the following, be very careful though , to check the water pump.

better do it when the car is cold. open radiator cap. put the engine on and keep it on idle for a minute or so. now accelerate, the level of coolant should come up and down while you do this.

regards

kenden
Old 20th January 2010, 00:57   #15
BHPian

Heating issue

HI Buddy,

I would love to help you out with this as I faced the same and thanks to RK well known for Opel in Hyderabad who helped me out, First of all this usually happens if the head gasket is worn out, next just check with Coolant sensor, which is below the IG Coil, one more this in Corsa there both the fans work that is the A/c as well as Radiator together, as your Mech to connect it directly to the battery and check if it runs at suffient speed, as even if you have no coolant and just water if the fan runs fine then still the temp is maintained, however Kindly make a not Corsa Temp needle reaching close to 100 is queit normal however should be below.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks