Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 19:18   #16
BHPian

What about a manual/electronic boost controller? Are these available in India? GReddy makes electronic controllers. A good way to increase the boost seems to be fitting one of these on the wastegate. It's considered a cheaper investment than a bigger turbo. One of those + a big intercooler from a 407T truck or something might work. Apparently, you can't have an intercooler that's too big!
Old 13th January 2010, 22:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have picked up a Pajero 2.8 Top mounted inter cooler to fix in my MM540 with the Turbo DI engine. Guess the power increase if any maybe too minor for me to notice, but I still feel cooler air is better for the engine especially in Chennai heat.
Old 13th January 2010, 22:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm sure the Bolero CRDe uses a different turbo or the boost is set higher.
As far I know these are/were the two turbos used by M&M on the engines, the boost on the K03 can be increased and can handle a lot of boost, So do not know if they have changed anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What about a manual/electronic boost controller? Are these available in India? GReddy makes electronic controllers. A good way to increase the boost seems to be fitting one of these on the wastegate. It's considered a cheaper investment than a bigger turbo. One of those + a big intercooler from a 407T truck or something might work. Apparently, you can't have an intercooler that's too big!
OE Turbos have internal wastgates hence changing to bigger is easy than trying to make them work at higher boost, second option is welding them shut and using an external wastage.
I would suggest stick to M&M components and try and work with them, many thing can go wrong when fiddling with turbo charger and associate components [ mistake happen and can be very expansive].
Anyway you are [or rather where] looking for small increase in power, which can be had with very little component change.
DO NOT BE GREEDY.

@4X4addict, you get a nominal increase in power and it will help the engine run a bit cooler. Heat control is a big issue with these engines.

Last edited by dinar : 13th January 2010 at 22:22.
Old 26th March 2010, 07:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

@ 4x4addict : have u tried fitting the intercooler to the MDI TC? Any performance/mileage differences?
Old 20th June 2021, 09:25   #20
BHPian

Re: Bigger Turbo/Intercooler on Bolero DI possible?

I have recently installed a Scorpio sz2600 turbocharger in the MDI3200TC engine, there is a surging increase of acceleration in the vehicle from around 1800 RPM upwards.
I strongly feel, that this engine needs an intercooler to lower the temperature of the compressed air, because the temperature rises slightly above the normal, if the vehicle is driven with heavy foot.
MB4DI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 13:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB4DI View Post
I have recently installed a Scorpio sz2600 turbocharger in the MDI3200TC engine, there is a surging increase of acceleration in the vehicle from around 1800 RPM upwards.
I strongly feel, that this engine needs an intercooler to lower the temperature of the compressed air, because the temperature rises slightly above the normal, if the vehicle is driven with heavy foot.
Many people have gone for this mod along with intercooler from Tata Sky bus (most cost effective mod). only problem with bigger intercooler is placement in Bolero. I routed it in front of AC condenser
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 23:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Many people have gone for this mod along with intercooler from Tata Sky bus (most cost effective mod). only problem with bigger intercooler is placement in Bolero. I routed it in front of AC condenser
That's great news to hear !

Please share some pictures of the installation.

Thank you
Old 24th December 2023, 23:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Is it possible to install an intercooler on the Bolero DI Turbo engine? How much of an improvement will be there? Alternatively, can a bigger Turbo be installed? What about a cold-air intake?
I own a Mahindra Thar M2dicR 4x4, bought it jn 2017 and compared to the CRDE it felt underpowered on the road so what I did was changed the turbo first and put a bigger turbo in, the lag was there so therefore I added a Toyota intercooler. It performed well. Then after I started researching Mahindra Roxor tuning which is on sale in Australia. (They tune it up to 200 bhp from 55bhp) but many required parts were not available in India.

Later I added dieseltronic to it. With these additions, I am quite sure it makes around 90hp now.

Always remember if you want to add a bigger turbo then you will face lag during offroading so add an intercooler. Mechanic also plays a big role.

I also changed the differential bearings and added a manual hub which can be disconnected totally therefore the wheel spins freely.

Last edited by graaja : 25th December 2023 at 04:45. Reason: Trimming quoted text, and typos. Please proof read before posting. Quote a small or relevant part of a post.
WhiteTharGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks