Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Have engineers gone crazy

Have engineers gone crazy, or are they all following the herd?

Normally, and logically, the turn indicators are placed on the outside
of the headlights towards the edges of the front. But, now these are
being placed on the inside.

Is there any reasoning on it, or is it that one made it and the others are following.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:31   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkguru View Post
Have engineers gone crazy, or are they all following the herd?

Normally, and logically, the turn indicators are placed on the outside
of the headlights towards the edges of the front. But, now these are
being placed on the inside.

Is there any reasoning on it, or is it that one made it and the others are following.
I have not really observed the placement of indicators of late, but frankly, i do not see a problem with it. the reason for keeping it outside of the headlight is to ensure that people from the front, as well as side can spot it.But since there are separate indicators on the side, it is not a problem, as long as persons can see the relative position of the indicator in relation to the two headlights and figure out on which side the blinking is occurring.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:34   #3
BANNED

Have you seen where the indicators of ambys, fiats, jeeps and other HCVs and LCVs are placed?

And what are the new vehicles with indicator on the inside you are talking about?
Old 7th January 2010, 11:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think engineers are responsible for this, could be the designers. Since there are indicators on panel above fenders, it should not be a issue. In the U.S, where the side indicators were not used widely, its not considered a issue (they have big roads).
Old 7th January 2010, 12:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

i10 is one such vehicle with such a design. In the night when headlights are switched on its a bit difficult to spot the flashing of such inset indicators. Most of the headlights are upgraded to 90/100 or 100/130 by the owners, these powerful headlights drown out the feeble non amber coloured indicators. Glare the powerful lamps causes to the oncoming driver to miss the flashing indicators.

Indicators placed on the outside of the headlight assy is more visible in such conditions. Also the older amber coloured lenses are more visible compared to colourless lenses with coloured bulbs in it. Some research has proven that amber lenses are far more effective than colourless lenses with amber bulbs. I read this a long time ago.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even I was shocked to see the indicators on the inside of the headlights in i10 !

In my opinion, the indicators should not be integrated with the headlight at all. They should be placed separately on the front bumpers, like in the older generation cars.

Beautification should not be done at the cost of safety. Period.

Like someone mentioned above, the designers are to be blamed for this, not the engineers.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 7th January 2010, 12:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

this could be to integrate pilot light(parking light),headlight,and turn indicator into a single housing - saving in parts bin,quicker asembly of car,faster removal and refitting could be reasons.

The first version of the Esteem(1994-97) came with three components - headlight asembly,park light assembly(called "samosa" light),and a turn indicator assemble(in the bumper);

next(1997-2003) the parking and headlights came within the headlight and the samosa became the turn indicator

next came clearlens reflectors(2003) with a similar arrangement

then in the new avtaar of the Esteem called DZire,all three are in the same housing-same case in Wagon-R,Versa,Alto,800, Estilo,SX4,GV
Old 7th January 2010, 12:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I dont think engineers are responsible for this, could be the designers. (they have big roads).

Yes, srishiva, that should have been written as Designers and not Engineers.

There are many vehicles with indicators on inside and many new coming ones are having this followed. Which I personally feel is absurd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks