Team-BHP - Help! - Engine fumes getting into the car & causing health problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Help! - Engine fumes getting into the car & causing health problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/73130-help-engine-fumes-getting-into-car-causing-health-problems-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 4484221)
I recently bought a Verna diesel. This is my first diesel car. Post driving I find myself having a mild headache and some stingy eyes sensation. Is this normal since I am not used to having a diesel car? This happens mostly if I wind down the window while parking in an enclosed area

Is this a new or used car? Either way get the exhaust system checked for leaks. Gasses should exit only via the exhaust system at the rear past the boot and not creep into the passenger compartment. Do not idle the engine (petrol or diesel) for very long in enclosed spaces with the windows rolled down.

Also, keep in mind some people are sensitive to diesel particulate matter. My mother was and I know am too. Smelling diesel exhaust (yuck!) causes instant irritation in my throat makes me catch my breath and get away - fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 4484221)
Is this normal since I am not used to having a diesel car? This happens mostly if I wind down the window while parking in an enclosed area

Sumeet, you should never idle a car in an enclosed area, leave alone with windows rolled down. And that too a diesel.

If that happens during a drive too, then try setting the air flow setting to re-circulation mode (& not fresh air mode) and check if that happens then again too.

Regards,
Saket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 4484236)
Is this a new or used car? Do not idle the engine (petrol or diesel) for very long in enclosed spaces with the windows rolled down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4484243)
Sumeet, you should never idle a car in an enclosed area, leave alone with windows rolled down. And that too a diesel.

This is a new car. I am not having issues with the windows up and in re-circulation mode but sometimes you have to wind down for eg while paying toll or have to open the door to let someone in while the engine is still running etc. At these times the fumes/smell creeps in and I end up with a mild headache etc. I will try and keep windows up especially while reversing/parking but sometimes you need to peep out of the window to see if one is parking properly in a straight line etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 4484254)
This is a new car. I am not having issues with the windows up and in re-circulation mode but sometimes you have to wind down for eg while paying toll or have to open the door to let someone in while the engine is still running etc. At these times the fumes/smell creeps in and I end up with a mild headache etc. I will try and keep windows up especially while reversing/parking but sometimes you need to peep out of the window to see if one is parking properly in a straight line etc.

Sumeet, methinks your car has a leaky exhaust system. Have them check the at the cat converter, DPF, muffler junctions plus inside the engine bay. The fact you smell the exhaust at a toll both after rolling down the window or to let a passengere in is a giveaway. Exhaust gasses must be vented only thru the pipe at the very back of the car. In fact most are designed in such a way to prevent gasses to enter even the boot not just the passenger compartment. Exhaust gasses are dangerous and getting a headache is generally a symptom of CO or CO2 inhalation.