Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 19:34   #16
BHPian

Fake parts from Chinese manufacturers is nothing new. These guys are capable creating duplicates of any part of a car (Long back I remember a documentary in BBC stating you can even find fake engine blocks in China).

This was probably a mistake from the Chinese manufacturer when they were shipping for the secondary market as well as for the auto expo and the shipment got swapped

Incidentally there was a related article very recently on livemint-
Robust growth in auto sales may fuel fake components market - Corporate News - livemint.com

I found another interesting read on chinese counterfeiting as well-
China's Latest Deadly Counterfeits .: Knowledge Base

Quote:
"..auto part piracy is well-organized. Fake products include everything from brake pads, oil filters, and fan belts to fenders, engine blocks, windshields, and windshield wipers. Given that selling new cars is often a “loss leader” to establish a lucrative aftermarket in replacement parts, such counterfeiting represents a particularly crippling form of economic “cream skimming” that cuts deeply into the bottom line of the legitimate auto industry. As has been noted in Forbes, “Replacement parts are to car companies what popcorn is to movie theaters. It’s how they pay the rent.
There are also significant safety issues for an industry in which several tons of metal traveling at high speeds depends on equipment reliability. In some cases, the quality and appearance of the fake auto parts is so good that is difficult to distinguish between a fake and an original product. In many other cases, the parts are of such poor quality that they are doomed to early and often dangerous failure. As reported in Automotive News, some of the “many horror stories” include “brake linings made of compressed grass, sawdust or cardboard; transmission fluid made of cheap oil that is dyed; and oil filters that use rags for the filter element.”
Old 12th January 2010, 19:54   #17
BHPian

I wouldn't be surprised if the chinese stall would have been be bigger and better decorated than the orignal Bosch one !!!!!!

These guys were either very brave or just plain stupid............

Last edited by funkydevil : 12th January 2010 at 19:56.
Old 12th January 2010, 21:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
....The fake parts were displayed at a stall in the China Pavilion, which houses 5,000 sq metres of exhibition stalls of numerous Chinese component manufacturers....
The ironic part is that Auto Expo has an entire pavilion dedicated to "Asli / Naqli" (Real / Fake) - to generate awareness about counterfeit products!

I guess this manufacturer really wanted to be a part of that pavilion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
...I had asked this sometime back. I'm still not sure if the Philips kits are genuine
Was just looking at one in the classified today and wondering the same thing!
(See Immortalz post above too).

cya
R
Old 15th January 2010, 03:57   #19
BHPian

India is not far behind china in fakes.

Guys I agree china is known for fakes. But india is not far behind. My uncle's friend used to have a philips electronic dealership. HE used to say atleast 1 in 5 products is fake. The outer frame is original but the parts inside are fake. THe outer frame is manufactured in large numbers specifically for this. This story is from ten years back though.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Guys I agree china is known for fakes. But india is not far behind. My uncle's friend used to have a philips electronic dealership. HE used to say atleast 1 in 5 products is fake. The outer frame is original but the parts inside are fake. THe outer frame is manufactured in large numbers specifically for this. This story is from ten years back though.
The level at which the chinese are doing is actually mindblowing. We do have fakes here but it is nowhere near the chinese. The difference is probably because of the laws. A classic case is when GM lost it's battle against Chery in China for copying the Matiz.
Old 17th January 2010, 03:17   #21
BANNED

Philips is making HID and selling it legally in India .Here is the link
Philips Lighting India - Xenon HID conversion kit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks