Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Accent coolant leakage problem

Car: Hyundai Accent

Last week the hose pipe which connects the radiator to the engine developed a small cut and the coolant started leaking. This was the 1st issue ever recorded in my car, so I had no idea how to get back home (was at the other end of the town).

Called up Vijay (Star_aqua) and he told to use the red tape so that it will stop the leaking to an extent (my idea was to use M seal but cancelled). Finally head back towards home praying that the car does not break down. The temperature was increasing drastically and after 10-12 kms the car stopped. Cos of the tape I could at least cover 10 kms (Thanks to Vijay).

Called up just dial to get Hyundai hotline number. And as usual they sent all possible numbers except hotline number. Using cell phone searched on Google and found the hotline number. Man, I must say that the hotline guy was very helpful. He made me understand the situation , told me to hold on for 20 minutes till the engine cools down and then open up the radiator cap and fill 3 litres of water.

As I opened up the bonnet I found that the coolant (green thingy in the box on the left) was still full. I asked him what’s the funda as the coolant from the box is supposed to go to radiator if the coolant level is less in the radiator. He said that’s not how it works and we need to fill water. As that was not the place to discuss about the technicalities, did whatever he told to and somehow dropped the car in Advaith Hyundai at 11:30 in the night. Got it fixed it next day.

My question here : Is it true that the coolant which was in the box does not go to the radiator if the level is low in the radiator ?

Last edited by Eddy : 14th January 2010 at 16:30.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The expansion bottle(coolant box as you have described) works like this:
  1. when the car is started and the coolant temperature begins to rise,there is a rise in pressure in radiator causing the radiator cap pressure relief device to release some coolant into this expansion bottle
  2. When the car is stopped and the engine cools down,the coolant also cools causing the radiator to go into vacuum.The radiator cap has a vacuum relief device which allows coolant to flow in from the expansion bottle.
So the expansion bottle serves the purpose of a buffer for the coolant in both cases.

In your case,the hose leaked causing coolant in the radiator to escape - here your radiator cap would have continued to remain closed as the leaky hose was your pressure relief device .Hence you'd have found your coolant box ,sorry expansion bottle level intact.
Old 14th January 2010, 20:33   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the info vigsom. Till now I used to think it as a reservior for the radiator.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Car: Hyundai Accent
Last week the hose pipe which connects the radiator to the engine developed a small cut and the coolant started leaking.
How did the cut happen in the first place? Was it an accidental damage or a pressure leak? Do you remember whether the coolant reservoir was being filled ABOVE the max mark regularly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks