Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 21:08   #1
BHPian

Electrical issues in my Elantra? Battery draining in 4 days on idle...

Hi all,
I have recently put in a new Amaron FLO battery with better than recommended spec for m Elantra CRDI in Bangalore. I am finding that if i leave my car untouched for 4 days the battery almost drains itself out and will not crank. Last time this happened when i were out of India for a 2 week official trip. As the battery is new, it is covered under warranty and Amaron service engineers promptly came and collected the battery and recharged it and put it back. That time they initially said there doesn't seem to be any power leakage as such in the car.

Now over this weekend, again my car was sitting idle for 4 days and today evening when i tried to start the vehicle it would not crank. The car clock gets reset to 12:00 and the AC will come on by itself when the crank fails. I tried to crank 2-3 times and gave up and called Amaron again.

Am doubting whether this could be a electrical problem in my Elantra that is causing this battery drain! I notice that the time-display is always glowing green even when the car ignition is off.

Please let me know your opinion on this. Also if you know a good person in Bangalore who can check up my car electricals, kindly pm me.
Thanks.
Old 17th January 2010, 21:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_mouli View Post
Hi all,

Now over this weekend, again my car was sitting idle for 4 days and today evening when i tried to start the vehicle it would not crank. The car clock gets reset to 12:00 and the AC will come on by itself when the crank fails. I tried to crank 2-3 times and gave up and called Amaron again.
Clear case of an electrical drain that continues with the IGN switched off. Get your wiring checked specially if you have after market A/V equipment or accessories fitted.

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2010, 22:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Clear case of an electrical drain that continues with the IGN switched off. Get your wiring checked specially if you have after market A/V equipment or accessories fitted.

Cheers!
The car is completely stock...no after market fitments. Can anyone please suggest a good technician in Bangalore to get the wiring checked?
Old 17th January 2010, 22:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car is completely stock...no after market fitments. Can anyone please suggest a good technician in Bangalore to get the wiring checked?
I think BHPians from BLR should be able to point you to a technician's shop. Lucas service or a Bosch aftermarket service centre should be able to check it for you.

Cheers!
Old 18th January 2010, 14:08   #5
BHPian

The Amaron service engineer just came in to check the battery. He said that there could be a earthing issue as the battery power is getting drained even on IGN off to a level that is not acceptable. Also after he replaced a spare battery he asked me to step on the gas, switch on/off lights and AC and later asked me to check the Alternator as well as the power drain with AC & Lights on with the engine running is more than with them off.
Am planning to get the electrical circuits checked ASAP.

Dear Bangaloreans,any nice place here for getting this checked? Bosch does not seem to be having any Auto Electrical service unit here.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you get the car checked at an authroised workshop since if the parts have to be changed, sourcing it would be a difficult task outside.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:02   #7
BHPian

Trident Hyundai (Intermediate Ring Road opp Dell) has a brilliant auto electrician called Suresh. He has successfully helped me with my elec problems that none of the outside auto elecs could fix after multiple attempts.
Yours is a problem of earthing. He should be able to fix it. pay him a visit in hyundai.
if need be, i can try and fix you a meeting with him off the garage as well, though i need to check with him if he would oblige. PM me if interested and we can take it forward.
Cheers,
Harsha

Quote:
The Amaron service engineer just came in to check the battery. He said that there could be a earthing issue as the battery power is getting drained even on IGN off to a level that is not acceptable. Also after he replaced a spare battery he asked me to step on the gas, switch on/off lights and AC and later asked me to check the Alternator as well as the power drain with AC & Lights on with the engine running is more than with them off.
Am planning to get the electrical circuits checked ASAP.

Dear Bangaloreans,any nice place here for getting this checked? Bosch does not seem to be having any Auto Electrical service unit here.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you ever face this problem with the old battery?perhaps the old one failed because of this

it appears to be discharging due to earth leak.

Diagnosing it has to be patiently done - all consumers have to be eliminated one by one to know which circuit is the culprit.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:55   #9
BHPian

No i didn't face this problem with the old battery but one fine day it died a silent death with a couple of its cells becoming non-functional!! That time the battery dealer said that it was because of less than recommended spec battery being used. The initial owner of the car seems to have put in a battery that is not intended for the Elantra Diesel version!
Old 25th March 2010, 09:11   #10
BHPian

Gave my vehicle for service in Trident, Inner Ring Road service center during this free car checkup to get this electrical issue also sorted out.
The problem was root-caused to faulty stock HU. Looks like the HU was consuming a lot of battery power even when switched off. For now i have disconnected the HU from the power supply and left it as it is. Need to hunt for a single/double DIN second-hand HU within a short budget!
Good thing about this check-up is that i were charged a mere 194/- INR for this troubleshooting. The service staff in Trident were very courteous (i were working with Mr.Kumar (service manager) and Mr.Suresh (Electrician)). Would rate them 4/5 for their communication and quality of service.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:30   #11
BHPian

Hi

Can you pla share the right Battery specs for Elantra? Thnx!
Old 28th June 2010, 21:25   #12
BHPian

I have the exact same problem on my bike. Self starter doesn't work if the bike is left idle for 1 day. If I use the self starter, the display goes blank and resets itself. Trip meter gets set to zero.

Other parameters such as the odo reading the fuel meter are normal. Got to get it checked
Old 21st March 2011, 21:34   #13

Re: Electrical issues in my Elantra? Battery draining in 4 days on idle...

Hello could anybody please let me know the Elantra diesel battery spec.
Old 23rd March 2011, 03:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC its DIN74.

Will cost you around 7-8k. Prices may have increased over the last two years.
Old 23rd March 2011, 08:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Even if a single CELL of battery becomes WEAK this thing happens. Happened with me twice with TATA GREEN batteries, later they were changed under warranty. In my case, no earthing or leakage due to such was found. Check the battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks