Team-BHP Support

Jerking while breaking if it is not from transmission can be due to:
- Obvious - warped disc rotor
- Pads - Completely worn out
- Brake caliper assembly loose
- Brake setting gone wrong including one of the wheel cylinders leaking
- Tyre in bad shape
- Worn out suspension

Any one or combination of the above, so best thing to do is to drive to the nearest competent mechanic and get it checked asap.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Jaggu Sir. I shall be checking with mechanic soon.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are you sure its the brakes and not the clutch giving away? To rule this out, depress the clutch and pedal and check the brake for judder. If it ain't then its clutch.

Anyways get it checked since you shouldn't risk it with brakes!
It's just the brakes, I tired it after depressing the clutch, it's still there. Strangely last evening while driving back home, the car behaved perfectly normal for 5-6kms, and I did power braking too and no problem. Suddenly after some time the problem re-occurred, and became persistent. The brake growl is getting louder now, and I just drove the car slowly back home. The car is now grounded till the weekend, and I'll get it checked most probably on Saturday.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
It's just the brakes, I tired it after depressing the clutch, it's still there. Strangely last evening while driving back home, the car behaved perfectly normal for 5-6kms, and I did power braking too and no problem. Suddenly after some time the problem re-occurred, and became persistent. The brake growl is getting louder now, and I just drove the car slowly back home. The car is now grounded till the weekend, and I'll get it checked most probably on Saturday.
Sethi, As everyone has mentioned it should be the brake disk that needs to be replaced. I would recommend truning of the disk as that will save you some money. I had the same problem with my elantra. Found that the front left brake disk had grooves running on the front side. I was advised to change the disk, but I had it truned and I also changed the break pads along with this. Its recommended to change the brakepads because the grooves would have caused uneven wear of the brake pad surface. I dont experience any of the shudders now (except for the occassional ABS shudders). After this change I completed a 1500 Kms 3 day trip and I didnt exprience any of the sudden shudders on high speed braking.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:32   #21
BHPian

Update

Got my car checked today at Pratham Motors, and strangely there was no problem with either the disc or pads! The mechanic suspected something stuck in the calipers, or some rust issue. Anyway, got the calipers greased and discs and pads cleaned. Drove the car almost 10-12 kms after that but no issues, the sound is gone for now. Tomorrow will be the real test when I drive to office in full traffic, as today being Sunday traffic is lean, so lesser braking.
Old 24th January 2010, 17:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tomorrow will be the real test when I drive to office in full traffic, as today being Sunday traffic is lean, so lesser braking.
Will be waiting for your feedback
Old 24th January 2010, 22:19   #23
BHPian

i faced the same problem in my magnum.
the front disks were replaced.
as i found out the problem is rust.whenever a car is washed make sure large amount of water doesnt fall on the disks, otherwise what happens is that the disks get rusted more frequently than normal.now whenever the car is driven the rust gets removed whenever we apply breaks.
frequent covering and removal of rust from the disks leads to uneven disks which need to be resurfaced.

now whenever i wash the car i make sure no water falls on it and now for around 15k kms i havent faced any problem.hope this helps.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:31   #24
BANNED

The issue of brake pedal vibration is only because of hub , bearings , discs and rarely knuckles.
There is no other issue involved guys Simple and straight.
Anything else will have you hearing enough noises to stop the car and look.

Regards
Old 25th January 2010, 10:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Will be waiting for your feedback
Today drove the car 25kms to office, and brakes are behaving as good as ever! All shuddering/vibrations gone by just cleaning the brakes!
I was expecting a major phatka thinking pads/disks must have gone, but got saved from all that mess!
Old 29th January 2010, 15:27   #26
BHPian

The problem has resurfaced again since last 2 days, and Pratham Motors is not able to identify the problem. Maybe this is the start of the problem, and may deteriorate further to become some big fault!
Is there any other good workshop near HSR Layout where I can get the car checked?
Old 29th January 2010, 16:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Try RNS Motors (Maruti dealer and service centre) on Hosur Road.

Rohan
Old 1st February 2010, 12:57   #28
BHPian

Guys, got my car checked again, and no problem found with the brakes, both disc and pads. Now I've concluded that it may be pads that are giving trouble. Reason, the problem starts after some 15-20 mins of driving or when the pads start getting hot after applying brakes a number of times and goes away if the car is rested for say 2-3 hrs. And I'm using Bosch brake pads, not the OE Swift brake pads. The Maruti service manager once told me that Swift OE pads are semi-steel and I don't think Bosch brake pads are the same, so may be some incompatibility issue. So me now thinking of switching back to the OE pads.
Old 6th February 2010, 20:39   #29
BHPian

Fed up of this problem and non detection of the cause, today I did a desi jugaad for this and worked fine! Went to my local mechanic, and he rubbed the brake pads with sand paper and now all izz welll! Drove the car to Brigade road from HSR and back and no sound from the brakes, they are silent again! :-)
Just left to be seen how long it works fine, let's hope it remains the same now on!
Old 7th February 2010, 00:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
...And I'm using Bosch brake pads, not the OE Swift brake pads. The Maruti service manager once told me that Swift OE pads are semi-steel and I don't think Bosch brake pads are the same....
I got the brake pads replaced in my Swift a week back. OE pads cost me Rs. 2755 (plus taxes, of course). Why are the OE pads so obscenely expensive? I was tempted to go for a cheaper alternative, but I do a lot of highway driving and thought it would be better to not cut corners on this.
My MASS topped up the brake fluid but did not replace it. Should this have been done? My car has done 56k kms.

Quote:
Fed up of this problem and non detection of the cause, today I did a desi jugaad for this and worked fine....
Hope things stay that way! Keep posting. Would like to know how the Bosch pads work out in the long run.

Last edited by Roy.S : 7th February 2010 at 00:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed