Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 15:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!

Excellent discussion.

I am facing same problem in my NHC, which has already done 115K in 7 years. Car shudders at speeds above 60+. I have been recommended disc turning by local mechanic. Though brake pads are changed at recommendation of Honda A.S.S.
Let me check with Honda A.S.S also and get this fixed pronto.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:12   #47
BHPian

Re: Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi and had a similar braking problem from past 6 months now. Let me portray the detailed observations so that it might help others who are facing similar situation:

6 months back @ ( 55k mileage) I had noticed burping like sound when I applied a brake near hump/complete slowdown from say @4th gear to 2nd or 1st gear.
This noise was really frustrating to hear on the highways as the noise was very loud and indeed result was poor braking when it gets heated up. There was no Shuddering but only poor braking with lot of noise .

I am getting my Fiesta serviced at Lathangi Ford Bangalore and they removed the break pads, cleaned and installed it twice. Inspected the Rotor discs, calipers, suspension, 20k driven Yokohama C drive tyres and they said everything was fine. Then too problem was persistent after few 100 kms.

Frustrated by this, again @64k mileage visited Lathangi on 26th Feb, 2012 and they said they have to replace the Rotor Discs, Brake Pads. Cost 7,000 INR approx including the labor with 6 months warranty on the parts. The old disc replaced was really like a marks and wounds all over it.!

It was smooth till off-late and i thought the problem got resolved, just by then @70k just after driving for 7k kms, the braking problem re-surfaced

This time i could feel the vibrations @ steering once i brake, lot of shuddering @ speeds of plus 50km/hr. Because of the steering vibrations, first I thought its a wheel alignment problem, but i get my alignment regularly done at Madhus, Langford Road. I ruled out that as @ 65k alignment was done.

Recently on 23rd June, me n my bro on the way to coorg realized braking was becoming poor and there was a noise coming too when brakes are applied. So all we did was control a lot in gear (gear driving), but couldn't avoid lot of humps and ditch and had to apply brake.!

This tuesday on 26th June, again I visited Lathangi and said what was happening. After the long test drive they admitted some major problems. They have identified it's a Hub and Bearing assembly problem. Now the bill is 5600 INR for the Hub and the Bearing assembly (again 6 months warranty on these) , lathe charges for repalcement. Additionally I insisted they have to replace the Brake pads, Rotor Discs on warranty, which they obediently agreed as there can be some alterations (mm changes) on the disc, worn out brake pads.
Note : Ford Service Advisor insists the brake pads will easily come upto 30k mileage.

Right now after driving around 200 kms after change, braking is excellent in all speeds upto 120km. Shuddering, noise and the vibrations are all completely eliminated. Drive is also become smooth

Just hoping it stays the same after coughing up close to 13,000 INR.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2012 at 11:53.
Weathered is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th January 2013, 18:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Accent, Steering and brake pedal shudders, when braking at speeds above 80

I drive Hyundai Accent petrol 1.5, with around 100,000 kms on ODO. I am facing this issue, since last few weeks. Whenever i brake from speeds above 80, the steering wheel and brake pedal vibrates. The problem gets more pronounced at speeds above 100.

I changed discs around 15,000 kms back and Pads were changed around 1000kms back. I got rear shoes checked and skimmed, but no improvement.

Today, I went to mechanic to get this checked and He asked me to changed, Front bearings, linkage and bush kit jumping rod and gave me an estimate of 4000/-.

But, i doubt this being the reason. So, i came back without getting the work done. The mechanic didn't even opened the wheel and checked the discs properly.

And My car went into pothole some 5000 kms back at speed of around of 70, but problem is there since last 1000 kms, I doubt if that incident, could be the reason behind this.

Guys, what could the issue ? I suspect rotors, but then, They were changed 15,000 kms back.

Please help.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 17th January 2013 at 18:41.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:43   #49
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Accent, Steering and brake pedal shudders, when braking at speeds above 8

Get the wheel balancing done, and get the rotors skimmed, it should solve the problem. My guess is that the rotors are uneven, therefore skimming should make it even and stop this problem.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 18:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent, Steering and brake pedal shudders, when braking at speeds above 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Get the wheel balancing done, and get the rotors skimmed, it should solve the problem. My guess is that the rotors are uneven, therefore skimming should make it even and stop this problem.
I forgot to mention, Balancing, alignment and rotation were done last week. Okay, I'll get them skimmed tomorrow.

But, can rotors be damaged in just 15,000 kms ?
Old 17th January 2013, 18:47   #51
Team-BHP Support

Ok so balancing etc is done. That leaves only the rotors, in pretty sure after getting them skimmed the problem will be solved.
Old 17th January 2013, 19:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Okay, I'll get them skimmed tomorrow.

But, can rotors be damaged in just 15,000 kms ?
Yes, if the pads are of inferior quality.

I'd suggest to skim the rotor and, change the pads.

Last edited by dhanushs : 17th January 2013 at 19:39.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 19:23   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Why did you run the old pads?
You should get your discs skimmed for now, as well as new pads. This is straightout a warp problem.
Old 17th January 2013, 22:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, if the pads are of inferior quality.

I'd suggest to skim the rotor and, change the pads.
The pads were OEM, so that eliminated the reason. I just got the pads changed around 1000 kms back.

I'll get the rotors and new pads skimmed and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why did you run the old pads?
You should get your discs skimmed for now, as well as new pads. This is straightout a warp problem.
Because, when i got the discs changed, Pads were fairly new, around 5000 kms old, So the mechanic suggested, to not to change pads.

I'll get the pads and rotors skimmed.

Quote:
Today, I went to mechanic to get this checked and He asked me to change, Front bearings, linkage and bush kit jumping rod and gave me an estimate of 4000/-
Quoting previous post of mine.

So what mechanic suggested me today, is NOT the reason behind this, Right ?

Or it can be too ?

Last edited by sameerg001 : 17th January 2013 at 22:34.
Old 17th January 2013, 22:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

-----------snip----------- ight ?

Or it can be too ?
If the wobble is only under braking, then no.
Ideally, Any adjustment or change in discs should be accompanied with change of brake pads.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 22:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If the wobble is only under braking, then no.
Ideally, Any adjustment or change in discs should be accompanied with change of brake pads.
Yup, shudder is there only under braking at speeds above 80.

Thanks for the info, didn't knew that. Let me get the discs and pads skimmed now.
Old 17th January 2013, 23:49   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yup, shudder is there only under braking at speeds above 80.

Thanks for the info, didn't knew that. Let me get the discs and pads skimmed now.
Skimmed discs, new pads.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:43   #58
BANNED

Quote:
I drive Hyundai Accent petrol 1.5, with around 100,000 kms on ODO. I am facing this issue, since last few weeks. Whenever i brake from speeds above 80, the steering wheel and brake pedal vibrates. The problem gets more pronounced at speeds above 100.

I changed discs around 15,000 kms back and Pads were changed around 1000kms back.

Please help.
This is a problem with your rotors and brake pads. You should change both your rotors and pads as skimming of rotors and pads may not have the right effect. Firstly because skimming may result in the rotors becoming too thin depending on the type of wear and secondly the braking effect may not be as good as it should be. Before the job is done, do not drive at speeds above 80 as the judder would start to effect your steering column and ball joints etc.

And you need to change your mechanic too.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Like others have already mentioned, you need to change your pads also when you get the rotors skimmed/changed. Otherwise the pads and the rotors do not bed in properly and you have get back the problem soon!
Old 18th January 2013, 11:02   #60
BHPian

Not needed to replace the brake pads if its has more than 70% life. The pads needs to be sanded slightly with a flat abrasive sheet. Full brake pad needs to be in contact while performing this. Full Breaking power will regain around 200kms.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks