Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 11:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Undetectable starting problem in santro

I got a call from my brother that the santro is developing a starting problem, in the morning cold.

Description, as experianced by me when I went to see myself:
  • It takes about 5-6 cranks to start, and the engine makes a slight "bhut bhut" noise before it has to be forced to start.
  • when it comes to life, the motor has to be revved to get on going.
  • after that, the car runs absolutely normally and cranks at first stroke.
  • recently, the ignition coil was replaced along with new spark plug wires, yet the problem is persistent, even Hyundai service is unable to diagnose. They say to leave the car at night and they will see in the morning.
  • I have made a video and showed to them, yet of no avail.
  • I thought weather to be a problem, but our locality has 3 similar santros, all e-rlx, 2 of them have even covered more than my car and yet they do not face any problem like our car.
  • battery is perfectly fine.
  • throttle body was cleaned, yet of no avail. yesterday the motor was idling at high rpm.
What could be that hidden fault?

( I will be uploading the video in about 45 mins.)

Last edited by sidindica : 26th January 2010 at 11:32.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

There seems to be some problem with the Throttle position sensor/settings and/or feedback that the ecm is getting from the temperature sensor.

How many kms have been covered on the current plugs after last cleaning/replacement?
Old 26th January 2010, 11:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

100 kms covered with new spark plugs, and less then 30 with the new ignition coil plus new plug wires. Another possibility-water inside spark plugs after a car undergoes a full wash-is ruled out as the bay engine is dry.

Last edited by sidindica : 26th January 2010 at 11:58.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is the video of the problem. Took it today morning.

Old 26th January 2010, 12:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just one clarification, does it happen only at the first start of every morning? Does it happen when started in the evening also assuming the car hasn't been started since morning) or after every long parking? (say like when starting from the office in the evening)?

Just a thought to check a possibility, try the new ignition coils, spark plugs & spark plug wires on a different Santro.

What about the self motor? Hope you've got it checked it.

Last edited by aargee : 26th January 2010 at 12:37.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

It happens when the car is started for the FIRST TIME on any time of the day. But mostly it is started at mornings. Once it happened at afternoon also.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hope you've checked the fuel pump, fuel pressure. Also if there's a way to check the engine's RPM (I'm aware Santo doesn't have), pls check if the tacho moves during the initial cranks.
Old 26th January 2010, 13:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

IS there a way o check the fuel pressure. Is it possible that the pump is unable to maintain the pressure during thirst cold start when most fluids (including fuel) have settled down over a long period. Is the pump getting activated in the first few seconds of the ignition "on"?

EDIT: Just saw the video. Also replace your tdc sensor (the one that sends information on crank shaft) with another one and check if it makes any difference.

Last edited by gemithomas : 26th January 2010 at 13:36.
Old 26th January 2010, 14:02   #9
BHPian

This may not be of help, but could fuel quality the culprit. I cant substantiate this but I had a similar problem with my car once when I had bad quality fuel, the service centre also could not figure out but when I changed the fuel the problem vanished.
Old 26th January 2010, 14:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Check for idling sensor, any loose connection and earth. Also check for vacuum leak on the hoses.

Last edited by Randhawa : 26th January 2010 at 14:06.
Old 26th January 2010, 15:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Get the fuel lines/ filters checked first. Then see if the fuel pump is pressurizing the lines properly. Then move to injectors.

Have you tried leaving the ignition switch ON for around 5-10 seconds and then cranking?
Old 26th January 2010, 19:58   #12
BHPian

I feel the coolant temperature sensor is sending an incorrect input to the ECU. Get the coolant temperature sensor replaced and see if the problem comes back

A very similar problem was once reported in the 'Ask Tim' section of Times Online Driving (UK).
Old 26th January 2010, 20:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A zero cost solution - reset your ECU by disconnecting battery -ve and reconnecting after say 15 minutes.Sometimes,this works.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
I feel the coolant temperature sensor is sending an incorrect input to the ECU. Get the coolant temperature sensor replaced and see if the problem comes back

A very similar problem was once reported in the 'Ask Tim' section of Times Online Driving (UK).
I agree with you on that. If the ecu gets wrong readings from the faulty sensor then it might give lean mixture and starting in cold weather could be a problem.

I am not sure if Santro has one or two temp sensor but do get them checked out with a multimeter. You might have one on the radiator, other on the engine.
Old 26th January 2010, 21:43   #15
BHPian

First ask someone to take out your petrol filter which is under the left rear door, they'll need to unscrew it then disconnect fuel line and then examine it,
some cleaning can be done by air-pressure, else it would need to be replaced.

make sure the plugs are correctly installed, normally, mechanics alter the space between electrode to suit their eye rather than recommended space.

check ignition coil which you say has been replaced,
was there this kinda problem when you got this replaced ?

bhut bhut sound may be a signal for too much carbon residue in crank, and might need de-carbonizing.

Also post, how much car has been driven in All, when was the last service done, and what were tasks done in last service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks