Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 09:20   #1
BHPian

Kadak kadak noise from steering column in new Fiesta

I have bought a new 1.4 Diesel Limited Edition Fiesta in Oct 2009. The car is now 3 months old and has run around 4000 km. Recently I have noticed a peculiar problem.

While running on a rough road with small ups and downs, if we turn the steering to right or left, I hear a "kadak, Kadak" noise from the steering wheel. This noise comes only when the steering wheel is truned right or left. On the same stretch of road, if we drive in straight line there is no noise.

I actually noticed this problem when I took my car to Yercaud (small hill station near Salem, Tamil Nadu). There are around 20 hairpin bends on this ghat road. In almost all the hairpin bends, the road was having little rough patches. When turning in these bends, I first heard the noise. After coming back, I checked for this nosie in the normal roads with little rough patches. Whenever the wheel hits small ups and downs on the road there is this noise (only when the steering is turned left or right). This noise is heard when the steering is rotated even for 30 deg or more.

I took the car to my only service Center "Rajshree Ford, Coimbatore" and they told that there is a problem in steering column and it needs to be changed. During first service, they changed the column (they told that rake is ok(?) but I don't know what they are talking) and told that the problem is solved. But when I took my vehicle back from service center, I found the same noise on similar kind of situations. I immediately told them over phone and they have promised to look into the issue after the holidays (republic day).

Friends, what could be the real reason for this noise?

Note: I had already posted the same querry in the thread "All Fiesta owners- you are here, Page No. 105 (post No 1564)".

One of the replies I got was, that this problem is available in all Fiestas. (Reply No, 1571 in the same page). This reply has increased my worries.

What should I do now? Can anybody help? I am planning to visit the service station tomarrow. How should I deal with the service people. Till now, they are very amicable with me and even now they say that they will look into the matter and solve it.

Last edited by 1968chensaro : 27th January 2010 at 09:22.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:08   #2
BHPian

I too had this problem on my fiesta after 2-3 months of ownership. I had then got the steering rack replaced.

Its been a year after that and the noise , though resurfaced, is far lower than it was earlier. According to Ford, its a problem with each and every Fiesta on road. There is no permanent solution for this.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

In last 3 months I have driven my car 3960kms (all long drives).
The recent one was from my home to Chennai and return (via mysore/Bangalore/Hosur/Chennai - total 1500kms both ways). I had climb up(as well as climb down when on return) a ghat section which has got many hairpin turnings.

I never had any problems /noise from the the steering so far, as you explained above. So it is not common that all fiesta's have this problem. Kindly have check the issue with the service people, if not satisfied then send a email to Ford directly.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if this issue is part of the diesel variant. I havent heard any such noise in my 3200 km drive on a 1.6 petrol.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:29   #5
BHPian

I too've this noise to some extent (can hear it if I listen keenly) and have been told by the Service Advisor that it is present in most Fiesta's. Ford is working on a solution for this.

@Chensaro, do kep us update on what the Service Center does for you.

Krish, Chensaro and I have diesel. Is it related to diesel ones alone? Engine weight contributing?

Last edited by unni.ak : 27th January 2010 at 14:30.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:52   #6
BHPian

Have booked appointment with the service people for tomorrow. Going to spend the entire day with them to get the problem solved.

Will keep you posted about the development.

Last edited by 1968chensaro : 27th January 2010 at 14:54.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

This issue is more prominently present in the S version as it has a different steering column. I hear it once in a while only though. I have been told it's present in the regular steering column as well. But the issue you are describing seems to be more serious. I have never had a continuous noise over bad roads while turning.

Last edited by Gilead : 27th January 2010 at 19:56.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

not posting the same thing again, but here's a link to the same post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1702426-post429.html
Old 27th January 2010, 20:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

frank, any idea if they plan to fix it for existing cars? Or will they act only if someone complains loud enough.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:32   #10
BHPian

In appx 40 days/5300Kms+ of my ownership (1.6Sxi), I have noticed the sound actually dissapearing gradually and now it is non-existent. For me, the sound was like a screeching noise (which can be felt more rather than heard, as if some parts are being rubbed against one another). Am no longer facing this issue...but will double check and confirm.

Is it related to pre-Dec09 batches..have'nt heard of this issue from ruchir/mayukh who got during Dec/Jan
sanjayc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 08:27   #11
BHPian

Re: Kadak kadak noise from steering column in new Fiesta

Sorry for posting in an old thread. I have this noise too when i give steering inputs on less then perfect roads. I changed the tie rods, drop link. I am going to change the top mount for the strut and lower ball joint. Was there any success in fixing this issue? Also I have changed the Rack under warranty as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks