Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 17:05   #1
BHPian

New niggles in old Maruti 800

I have owned a white n/m Maruti 800 Std (MPFI) since Dec 2001. It is my only car. Owing to the loving care given to it by me it has not seen the inside of any garage for major repairs. The paint work is in excellent condition. The car is used for 20-30 km a week in small towns. Odometer reading is 24000 km (no ghapla here, mind you). Very few groans and rattles from the body. I am an extremely satisfied owner.

And I plan to utilise the car for three more years before I dispose of it.

Now my problem. Since I have driven the car frugally it has not failed me till now. But time is taking it's toll and I am afraid that in near future I will begin to face problems. And since my knowledge of working of cars is limited to what I have tried to learn from various threads and posts on Team-bhp in the past two months I will not recognise them even when they stare me in my face.

Now my request.

What major problems may occur now?

What are the symptoms of these problems?

What are the solutions to these problems?
Old 27th January 2010, 17:56   #2
BHPian

I would say , you do love your car!

24000 km in 9 years is not a lot of running.

You probably need to watch out for clutch replacement anytime soon.

My personal view is that a car's life is in terms of the km run on the engine assuming that all the services are done on time. The body will start rusting
especially in rainy areas so it would probably make sense to have an anti-rust
coating done. I think 3M does one such. I got it done for my Indica Turbo couple of years back.
rpmx1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 22:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

i have a 97 800 done 31,670 kms till date so i guess we are in the same boat.Major repair done so for all these years was a front suspension o/h which cost me around 8k.Make sure there are no funny noises from the suspension.Do the bounce test,drive over potholes with windows rolled up and listen to anything abnormal thuds,clunks etc.

Check the clutch cable there should not be too much play,if there is any screeching noise etc while using the clutch get the cable inspected.I am assuming you have used the clutch properly ie no clutch riding etc so the clutch may not need replacing soon.To test the clutch do the foll.
start the car (make sure the road ahead is clear and safe), put the car in 3rd gear,pull up the handbrake,and try to drive the car forward (slowly).If the clutch is fine the car should stall immediately.If it moves ahead then you will have to get the clutch opened for inspection.

Get the wheel bearings checked and replaced along with a brake o/h if you have not done the same in the last 3 years or so.Maruti's brakes need a proper checkup once in a while now and then.Check for leaks in the cooling system,radiator hoses etc.Check if the coolant level is ok and not dropping fast.If you notice any leaks etc get it inspected.See if the radiator cap is ok.Replace it if needed.My cooling fan conked out and had to replace it for 1750 bucks so check that out as well.It should start whenever the temp guage reaches the halfway mark.

These are some of the basic things you need to check along with the routine oil and filter changes.Good luck with the car.There are plenty of threads here on tbhp for your reference if you need anything.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2010, 22:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
The paint work is in excellent condition. The car is used for 20-30 km a week in small towns. Odometer reading is 24000 km (no ghapla here, mind you). Very few groans and rattles from the body. I am an extremely satisfied owner.

And I plan to utilise the car for three more years before I dispose of it.

Now my problem. Since I have driven the car frugally it has not failed me till now. But time is taking it's toll and I am afraid that in near future I will begin to face problems.
Now my request.

What major problems may occur now? given the fact that you have covered only 24000 kms,I don't foresee any issues

What are the symptoms of these problems?

What are the solutions to these problems?
My suggestions:
  1. I presume you are running on the original tyres - please have them replaced in the interest of your own safety.Tyres harden over years and the max I would recommend keeping is six years.
  2. Inspect the bodyline closely for rust spots or bubbles-get these treated immediately.A good underbody antirust coat is recommended.FUCOT provides a good coating.Else you can use Silver Hammertone made by any reputed paint manufacturer
  3. Replace your brake fluid every 18 months
  4. Get the ac serviced as a preventive(i presume this model has an ac);your car must be having R12 refrigerant,which is practically non existent today.Please check for availability OR convert to R134a but please remember to use the appropriate compressor oil for 134a else the compressor will go for a toss
  5. Give your dashboard a nice coat of Son-Of-A-Gun protectant OR Waxpol Vinyl n Leather polish - costs nothing but you'll smile.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 15:53   #5
BHPian

Some food for thought

Guys, thanks for the response. Please keep your suggestions pouring in. The suggestions I have got till now are: -

Change the clutch, tyres, brake fluids (every 18 months) and wheel bearings
Polish the dashboard
Anti rust coating
Brake overhaul
Check radiator cap, cooling fan and the body for rust
AC servicing

In the meantime I have not been sitting idle. I have been scrounging in some threads in Team-bhp, which refer to Maruti 800’s maintenance, for some tips. They talk of things which, though sounding Greek to me, must mean something important. Some of the things/issues that merit attention as they are mentioned there repeatedly are: -

Steering Bushes
Silencer Bush/Silencer Mounting
Wheels wobbling/balancing/alignment
Brake Pads/Brake Discs
Callipers
Suspension overhaul
Steering column replacement
Front brake disk replacement
New Brake pads
Engine mounts replacement

Now I am beginning to worry. Is it possible that these demons are slowly but steadily creeping onto my car too and I am not even aware of it due to lack of knowledge. Or, am I supposed to be warned by some symptoms. How about some guidance on these issues guys.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the meantime I have not been sitting idle. I have been scrounging in some threads in Team-bhp, which refer to Maruti 800’s maintenance, for some tips. They talk of things which, though sounding Greek to me, must mean something important. Some of the things/issues that merit attention as they are mentioned there repeatedly are: -

Steering Bushes
Brake Pads/Brake Discs
Callipers
Suspension overhaul
New Brake pads

Now I am beginning to worry
There are symptoms for each of these components - there is no point worying about what will happen;it is like saying,Oh I am 50,that means I have only 35 to go,so that means my arteries are getting clogged blah blah blah.

Cool;your car is fine as long as your heart says it is so.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2010, 22:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steering Bushes
Brake Pads/Brake Discs
Callipers
Suspension overhaul
New Brake pads

Now I am beginning to worry. Is it possible that these demons are slowly but steadily creeping onto my car too and I am not even aware of it due to lack of knowledge. Or, am I supposed to be warned by some symptoms. How about some guidance on these issues guys.
Don't worry about things , just take them as they come.Most of the problem areas mentioned won't leave you stranded on the road.Just start with critical issues like brakes 1st,then go on to the clutch and suspension and the radiator leaving stuff like the a/c, rust etc for last.Try to diagnose the problem(if any) instead of just worrying something will happen.For instance if you car needs a brake job you will find that braking distances are longer and to get the car to stop you have to you a stomp your right foot harder.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2010, 15:11   #8
BHPian

Krr Krr Sound While Turning

One more thing, guys.

Sometimes when I turn hard left I get Krr Krr sound from the general area of my right front wheel. Something I should look out for?

Also, I have realised after going through the related threads in Team-bhp that there are a large No. of rubber seals/parts in the automotive system of a car which are inexpensive by themselves but protect some other very costly parts.

These rubber parts are prone to deterioration with hardening caused by age and should be replaced. Which parts should I get checked more rigorously?

P.S. I live in a remote corner of Avadi, some 35 kms from Chennai so Have limited access to good mechanics. With the information I gather from here I will be able to guide him.
Old 29th January 2010, 19:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Calipers
These do not usually need replacement & last the lifetime of the car.
Quote:
Sometimes when I turn hard left I get Krr Krr sound from the general area of my right front wheel.
This is usually the first symptoms of a failing driveshaft, if it is, you can live with it for quite a while though.
Quote:
These rubber parts are prone to deterioration with hardening caused by age and should be replaced. Which parts should I get checked more rigorously?
Driveshaft boots & suspension bushes, you might also want to check or replace your radiator hoses if the car is old.
Quote:
I live in a remote corner of Avadi, some 35 kms from Chennai so Have limited access to good mechanics. With the information I gather from here I will be able to guide him.
Your best bet is a good old M.A.S.S, they will usually know which parts fail, & when. Word of mouth is key when it comes to M.A.S.S's though - there are some which are out to milk you dry.

Last edited by im_srini : 29th January 2010 at 19:53.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2010, 00:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

24k kms. You car is still an infant. Unlike mine which has done two complete revolutions.

Just do the routine service and change of oil and coolant.

also do timely service of wheel and brakes.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2010, 00:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

I would say barring the rubber parts which are prone to hardening over the years (and that includes even the tyres) and that krr krrr sound you do not have much to worry about. 24k is hardly any mileage on the clock. As long as you give the car its regular servicing it should be generally fine.

A couple of more things,
* Keep an eye on the electricals. Even a general once over by your mech will do. Over a period of time the wiring tends to harden (the PVC covering over the wires actually) and crack open. If that happens may lead to some unexpected sparks.
* With the general humid climate in/around Chennai you may also want to keep an eye on the body of the car. Corrosion sets in at the most invisible of locations and by the time people realize it eats up a good part of the body. Generally the nooks, crevices, underbody, joins etc are more prone to corrosion in humid areas.

OT, you have an OF Avadi connection, don't you?
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2010, 09:59   #12
BHPian

Kudos from a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
OT, you have an OF Avadi connection, don't you?
Zappo, though I have only a CVRDE connection, OFA is not far and we are like a big happy defence family.

SirAlec, I am getting the servicing done not too regularly. Presently I run my car 200-250 km per month. How does one balance the mileage requirement with the time stipulation for servicing? Any tips for a not-too-frequent runner like me.

Srini, thanks for the tips. I have now added drive shaft, drive shaft boots, suspension bushes and radiator hose in my to-be-checked list.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:36   #13
BHPian

Car veers to left

Earlier I only used to suspect but today after a few test runs I have confirmed that my Maruti 800 (24000 kms, 2001, mpfi, non ac, single hand driven, lovingly cared for) veers to left even at speeds as low as 15-20 kmph.

What could be the cause? What should I do now? Help anyone?
Old 1st February 2010, 22:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Solutions
1. First check if your wheels are bend or not.
2. DO wheel balancing and alignment

PS: It veer to left while braking also.?
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:05   #15
BHPian

Car veering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Solutions
1. First check if your wheels are bend or not.
2. DO wheel balancing and alignment

PS: It veer to left while braking also.?
No SirAlec, it does not veer more than it is veering. I am getting the wheel balancing and alignment done as per your advice.

I am also seeing other related posts on Team-bhp for hints. Wheels bear no signs of damage at all. Both front tyres are in exactly the same condition. Can variation in tire pressure be a cause? What can be the other likely causes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks