Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 00:19   #1

Audi 80 - overhauling

Hi All,

I have a 1.6l Audi80 TD, 1985 model.
The car has manual steering and I would like to know if and how I can get it converted to Power steering.
What all parts/components are required to make the change without having to do any major (structural) changes under the hood?

Also, the car requires some work in terms of clutch replacement, brake pads, drive shaft bushes etc.
Please advise the best place in Bangalore (or outside) to get these parts and where to get the work done on the car.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

To retrofit a power steering on such an old car you need a very good mechanic who knows his stuff and can work out a solution from off the shelf available parts.

YOu will have hard time sourcing the parts for these old imports even in bangalore.
Old 30th January 2010, 01:04   #3

thanks for the info Alec.... was hoping it wont be so difficult :(
Old 30th January 2010, 16:13   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ajrockerboy, it's a complex modification and not one that I'd personally recommend. My take : Your car is an '85 import. Use the money instead to bring her up to shape. No 25 year old car is perfect after all....spend your $$$ on some more important mechanical stuff.
Old 30th January 2010, 17:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

I take it yours is the Mark 3 Audi 80. Was it owned by a sardarji who was ex milittary - have seen this car a lot in the golf club.

Engine is from the Golf diesel. Parts may be rare in India but are available. If you go to GSF Car Parts | Buy Cheap Car Parts Online for New & Used, German, Swedish & French Cars - they still stock some routine items at reasonable prices. Frieght might be an issue though..

Again, I would not advice power steeering. If you changes the bushes and tie rod ends and overhaul steering box. You might be okay
Old 31st January 2010, 22:54   #6

Thanks GTO and ajmat.
GTO, pardon my ignorance, please let me know what mechanical stuff u r referring to.
I would really want to get her into as good shape as possible.

Ajmat, you got it right, its the sardarji's car.
I will try and see where I can get the bushes/tie rod ends and overhaul the steering box.

One of the mechanics who inspected the car, checked the tail pipe and told me that of the 4 cyls only 2 were providing the power. I am not sure how he checked that and how do i validate this? (i want to make sure the engine, drive train, suspension atleast are in good shape.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

AJ - you need to do a compression test.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:58   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrockerboy View Post
GTO, pardon my ignorance, please let me know what mechanical stuff u r referring to.
Basically, use the money instead to make your Audi mechanically "tighter". The engine, suspension, brakes, drivetrain, electricals...surely some components within these categories could do with refurbishing? She is 25 years old after all. I'll give you a parallel example. I drive an ol' Jeep and, in the last two years, have spent 0 rupees on the aesthetics or the unnecessary. Whenever I have $$$ to spend on her, I make some mechanical area better (be it the drivetrain, electricals, brakes or anything).

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2010 at 17:00.

Most Viewed