Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2005, 16:30   #1
cnu
BHPian

Which parking style ?

I have seen many people taking extra time to park their cars in such a way that they do not need to engage the reverse gear when they travel back.

Now, are there any technical advantages of parking the car in such a way ?

Has it got something to do with increasing the engine life or to save some gas ?

Thoughts ?
Old 9th September 2005, 16:43   #2
BANNED

it is just convenient to remove the car then...like imagine your girl calls you and abuses you and gives you 5 minutes to pick her up...this way you save time on reversing...hahaha
Old 9th September 2005, 16:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
it is just convenient to remove the car then...like imagine your girl calls you and abuses you and gives you 5 minutes to pick her up...this way you save time on reversing...hahaha
Or more likely - your girl's big bro finds out that you've been messing around and you need to make a quick exit.
Old 9th September 2005, 16:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

In a way its probably safer to reverse and park .. that way one reverses into a non-traffic area .. otherwise, while leaving the parking lot, chances are one would be reversing into the traffic (even if it be sparse parking lot traffic) ..
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2005, 17:26   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
OR
You get too hammerd at the Bar where you and your buddies are drinking and you don't want to reverse out.
OR
Its easier for you to spot your car when you come out of the same bar hammered coz all the other cars will be parked facing in and yours is the one facing out.
OR
Its just a nicer way to park( at least I think)
Old 9th September 2005, 17:34   #6
cnu
BHPian

Guys, all the fun part is fine... But I am sure there is something technical too about this...
Old 9th September 2005, 17:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

well, if you want to get technical, the reverse gear i the only one without a syncro, hence, when the car is cold and the oil is still a bit thick and settled, its a bit harder to get it into reverse (although not on modern cars anymore). The Padmini was just such a car that never wanted to go into reverse without a fight!!

That would be the only technical reason.

The other being that its easier to back into a spot than to go nose in first. Thats because the front wheels are what steer. This way you can fit in smaller spaces than you would be able to had you gone nose first.
Old 9th September 2005, 17:56   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well cnu its just that its more convinient to remove the car by parking it that way..better to know where ur going(by parking it with the engine facing the road and not the footpath) than to look back to see if u will bump into any traffic..well this will make it easier for u..remember in brigade road its sideways parking..when u got to remove the car u got to keep looking back to see if any vehicles are coming..as ur sitting way too front facing the footpath and a million cars are parked next to urs.. its impossible to see what vehicles are coming down the road by looking back all the time.. as u reverse any vehicle who is in a bit of hurry can just slam into ur rear if ur not careful..thats it..
this is a true incident that happened a few weeks back in brigade road...a zen was parked to the right of a accord..this guy thinking that there was no one coming down the road took reverse pretty fast..the zen was blinded by the length of the accord and an accent viva guy just slammed into the zen as the accord had blocked the view of the viva driver of the zen reversing..and the zen guy didnt notice as it is impossible to make out unless someone gives directions..
Old 9th September 2005, 18:18   #9
cnu
BHPian

Also, found this link.

http://www.lake-link.com/dodge/truck...m?TruckTipID=7

Quote:
21. Park car so that you can later begin to travel in forward gear; avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas.
Old 9th September 2005, 18:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

It'd cause negligible difference and that too in an auto transmission. It'd be even less in a manual transmission.

Since the article is about fuel efficiency, why the hell are the Americans going crazy complaining about fuel prices as they pay half as much as we pay in Europe?? Some of the ways to improve FE are so extreme: "Use alternate roads when safer, shorter, straighter. Compare traveling distance differences - remember that corners, curves and lane jumping requires extra gas." and "Remove excess weight from trunk or inside of car - extra tires, back seats, unnecessary heavy parts". Yes, surely driving without a spare tyre and rear seats is very practical!!

And can someone explain this: "Do not rest left foot on floor board pedals while driving. The slightest pressure puts "mechanical drag" on components, wearing them down prematurely. This "dragging" also demands additional fuel usage."
Old 10th September 2005, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Back her up...........

I also always park my car by reversing into the spot at home coz i end up going for my late night spins, and i have been abused many a times for waking up the community with my blaring exhaust note!!!

It's all because of the convienence!!!!
Old 10th September 2005, 21:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Easiest solution - Valet parking :P
Old 11th September 2005, 08:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Easiest solution - Valet parking :P
man, i don't trust valet parking; wouldn't want them to bang my car into a corner and then come back with a "sorry sir, it was a mistake". not to forget, u would be worried about the stuff in the car as well ...

s

Last edited by satan_crazy : 11th September 2005 at 08:12.
Old 11th September 2005, 08:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
I have seen many people taking extra time to park their cars in such a way that they do not need to engage the reverse gear when they travel back.

Now, are there any technical advantages of parking the car in such a way ?

Has it got something to do with increasing the engine life or to save some gas ?

Thoughts ?
hey
i park in the same way eh ... i prefer to take that extra time to park my car in reverse ...
its solely for my convenience such that exiting my parking spot is easier than entering it ..
as far as i am informed ,it has nothing to do with engine life or saving gas ..

cheers
Old 11th September 2005, 08:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_crazy
man, i don't trust valet parking; wouldn't want them to bang my car into a corner and then come back with a "sorry sir, it was a mistake". not to forget, u would be worried about the stuff in the car as well ...

s
You have to let go at some point man. We all love our cars but sometimes its more practical to give it for valet. Just give a tip before to the guy when u to get out of the car itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks