Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2005, 13:57   #1
BHPian

Help needed for Indigo Petrol to drive better...

Hi All,

Could you please advise me how to drive Indigo GSX (petrol) ? Its Euro-III. I am getting very bad FE (around 7-8) :-(.

As Mine is petrol one, could you tell me what i need to consider for good FE ?

I used HP Power/speed 93 also but dint find any difference except good smooth ride. I dint crossed 1000 Km yet...only 700 & dealer said that untill you cross 1000 KM mark dont think abt good FE. Is it true ?

I am changing gears when rpm touches 2000 and mostly i make it. But in first gear mostly it reaches to 2500-3000 trying to correct it. Hope it will not harm engine. Could you please tell me when i have to change gears ? >1500 or =<2000 rpm ?

I got pvt msg from TSK & speedsatya but my inbox was full so i missed it. Only 3 mails i can store in inbox ? strange to me....
Old 12th September 2005, 17:05   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well yup its true what the dealer told u,dont expect great mileage until u complete ur run-in period..may be ur car will give consistent figures after about 5000 kms or so..using 93 octane fuel doesnt increase ur HP or stuff but just smoothens ur ride..try changing gears around 1500-2000 rpm mark..and make sure u drive at variable speeds and not constantly at high speeds until the 1st 1000-1500 kms..
Old 12th September 2005, 17:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah expect the FE to get a little better after the first service, but indigo petrol will not give you more than 10kmpl in city driving conditions...i see your location is pune...the roads and traffic there wont help your cause.

Tips for good FE
1. Use a light foot on the gas.
2. Maintain the recommended tyre pressures...check them on cold tyres.
3. Avoid sudden bursts of accelerations.
4. Anticipate the traffic conditions...accordingly brake and accelerate gently.
5. Follow maintanence schedules.
6. Use the highest gear possible so that the engine doesnt knock. (prefrebly keep the rpms below 2000)

With practice you will get better at it. But then also i dont think an indigo can consistenly return double digit FE figures in city conditions. Max i guess you'll get in pune traffic is 11kmpl...and that too with an extremely light foot.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 12th September 2005 at 18:01.
Old 12th September 2005, 18:49   #4
BANNED

How are you measuring the FE? The Indica petrol has a notorious fuel gauge (till you get used to it) and this may be the case with the Indigo as well. If your measurement is tankful to tankful, then please also

Try upshifting between 2000 and 2500 rpm in each gear. Or try 15-30-45-60 for 2-3-4-5.

No offense meant, but is this your first car or were you driving Marutis earlier? I've noticed that the Indica petrol engine is not very happy when upshifts happen too early.
Old 12th September 2005, 18:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
I've noticed that the Indica petrol engine is not very happy when upshifts happen too early.
I had a '02 indica v2 lxi...i used to shift as low as 1500rpm at times. And had no issues.

Agreed that the fuel gauge used to act funny. Best way to measure FE is the tankful to tankful method.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 12th September 2005 at 19:00.
Old 12th September 2005, 19:33   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
I had a '02 indica v2 lxi...i used to shift as low as 1500rpm at times. And had no issues.
True - I occasionally do the zero throttle all the way to 5th as well but for a brand new car, 1500 rpm is a little too early.

Also, depends on how much you accelerate after shifting up so early.
Old 12th September 2005, 20:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Which part of city are driving in Pune? If you driving through narrow lanes of Pune, 8 is not too bad. If you are so FE conscious, don't use much of 1st gear once the vehicle starts moving, upshift quickly to second. I think 2000 RPM is good indicator for you to shift 3-4-5 gears. On MPFI car, there will not be great difference in FE even after 1st servicing. It will marginally increase as transmission system runs in.
Old 12th September 2005, 23:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

the way you drive your car for the first 1000-2000 kms will have its bearing for the whole cars life.

its very necessary to care for it during this time.

get a service done first with oil and oil filters changed.

common tips

1 akeep the tyre pressure standard and get it checked every week.
2. keep the engine bay clean.(very very important)
3. dont change the gears too frequently.
4. drive at a constant speed of 35-45.
5. use petrol from only one fuel station and use premium fuel.
6. use less clutch. and lastly
7. be light on that aceclrator pedal.

my cars had done 60k but as I took good care of it in the initial period the engine gives me 16 in the city however I drive.
Old 12th September 2005, 23:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

as far as gear shifting is concerned

start lightly in 1st. as soon as you think the car is on a roll and u can shift in second go ahead. same with 3rd,4th and 5th. or else to make it easy go according to the speed like

1st upto 10
2 upto 20
3 upto 30
4 upto 40 and 5th for 45

also take a test of your car for efficiency. fill up the tank to full and gon on a small drive of 10kms. fill up the tank again and you will know if its the traffic or ur car.
Old 13th September 2005, 00:57   #10
BHPian

Ok even though I have owned TATA vegicles since 1999 but none was petrol. But also the blocks of both the petrol as well as the deisel are the same so here is the best you can do. In the Run-in period, drive the car as per the manual's instructions. You may have a sticker on the right to of your windscreen also with the same instructions.

Maintaining the right tyre pressure is important to get the best composition between FE and safety. Also ensure that you never fly out of a red light as that's what damages the engine the most. And you can expect good figures after the first service.
Old 13th September 2005, 11:11   #11
BANNED

My Indigo petrol also used to give between 7-8 with the A/C in city traffic. Maximum I used to get was 8.5, but with so much effort that its not worth it.

In the city, you are forced to drive in lower gears because you need the initial pickup. But the Indigo engine is so crappy that you have to really floor it to even overtake a rickshaw, so your FE goes for a toss.

The car is a piece of crap. Do what we did and sell it while it's still worth some money. And don't ever buy a Tata again.
Old 13th September 2005, 15:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
How are you measuring the FE? The Indica petrol has a notorious fuel gauge (till you get used to it) and this may be the case with the Indigo as well. If your measurement is tankful to tankful, then please also

I've noticed that the Indica petrol engine is not very happy when upshifts happen too early.
I have a Indica Petrol LGi and Hrag I am getting pissed at the fuel guage too.....you top the car up, still the guage will not show F
also generally not much difference happens in the guage near the half-way point inspite of filling substancial fuel (10+ litres)
It really is weird and I was thinking abt showing it to the service guys at my next service.....

But yes the grunt under 2000 rpm is less indeed particularly on an incline...but shift at 2.5/3k and its roaring past most things....

I shifted mostly below 2k during first 1k of my car and had a decent 12-13 kmpl (mixed)
so unless you are driving it rather rashly and looking at Pune traffic (read chaos) in monsoons, with a newish car 9-10 should be what you expect at the most (all city)
But on highways its much better (atleast I got almost 15 on long trips)

Last edited by Abhay : 13th September 2005 at 15:03.
Old 13th September 2005, 15:03   #13
BHPian

Thanks to all of you :-) mclaren1885,drifter,hrag,RX135,devarshi84,nishant_ kingpin,Boom Shiva. Good to know so many things about driving it. Why Co. dont give this kinda information in manual. anyways thanks to all of you....i am gonna to complete 1000 marks. Except FE, i had good experience with indigo...its powerfull (if AC is not on) and smooth to ride. This is my first car :-)
Old 13th September 2005, 15:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Ditto here, the fuel guage almost never reaches the full mark, and when it does it crosses that!
Old 13th September 2005, 18:41   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
Hrag I am getting pissed at the fuel guage too.....It really is weird and I was thinking abt showing it to the service guys at my next service.....
Please don't waste any time or money on the fuel gauge. Over time, you will get used to it and will learn how to 'gauge' it properly.

e.g. for my mostly city driving, the top of the red zone comes after roughly 250 km from tankful. Remember that my fuel guage (2003) is different from yours (2005).

I normally tank up every 250 - 300 km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks