Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 10:49   #16
BHPian

Thanks a lot to all of you. I have already changed the number plate - Cheers!

Yes, team-bhp is indeed special in the sense that people do not think twice before going out of the way for helping each other! Shyamhegde was also very kind in providing me with contacts of certain people who sold headlight assemblies and horns. Thanks Shyam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
By the way, what happened to the Fiesta & Matador guys? Did you file any FIR after you called the cops?
Luckily for me, probably because I am an advocate, handling the cops was not much of a pain. Immediately after the accident, the matador had fled. In fact, no one in our car even caught a glimpse of it. Even the Fiesta guys did not have a chance to take down its number. And the Fiesta guys also scampered away soon after. When the cops came slowly after all that, they asked me to come over the next day and file a complaint. I went the next day and spoke to the traffic police inspector. She was very cooperative and immediately got the details and address of the Fiesta owner - which was a company in the hospitality industry. She then sent a cop to the said address, got the phone nos. of the owner and called him. She also passed on the contact to me. The concerned company person called me and explained that it was not his fault and there is no way he could have helped it and in fact had i maintained a safe distance (which he admitted is not usually done and feasible in the city) i could have avoided the accident. Frankly, i agreed with him and felt it was pointless to press any charges against him. Still, in case the insurers required, i just reported the incident to the police and got an acknowledgement stating that i did not want to press any charges against the Fiesta guys.

That apart, while the inspector was cooperative, the lower down cops were telling me that it was my fault and i should be thankful that the Fiesta guy is not coming after me. They said that whatever might have happened, since the dent is in my front, it automatically became my fault! Maybe, here I had some contributory negligence of not keeping enough distance in this case, but they went on to say that they follow the cardinal rule that whoever has the dent on the front of their vehicle is at fault! and that it means rash and fast driving! Interesting school of thought! What say?

I just asked him if he had a bike and had 10 minutes to spare. When he answered in the affirmative, I told him that I would ride his bike, he would sit behind me without a helmet on a free flowing road and at the speed of 50-60 kmph, I would brake abruptly and we will see what happens! He immediately declined my offer. I did not have to say anything else after that.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:34   #17
BHPian

Hi Harsha,

Thats scary man. But the refurbished front looks fine. Wouldnt be able to guess the car had any frontal collsion. Maybe the indentation is because of the stepheny housing of the fiesta being the culprit.
Hope the car is doing fine now.
kind regards,
Kedar
Old 9th February 2010, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have opened a thread where the details of the dealers can be shared. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...us-brands.html
Old 9th February 2010, 11:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
I have opened a thread where the details of the dealers can be shared. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...us-brands.html
Thanks Shishir, I will add the details in due course. Was waiting to see the response to the thread - a little disappointing so far. But charity begins at home and i know i must take the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi Harsha,

Thats scary man. But the refurbished front looks fine. Wouldnt be able to guess the car had any frontal collsion. Maybe the indentation is because of the stepheny housing of the fiesta being the culprit.
Hope the car is doing fine now.
kind regards,
Kedar
Hey Kedar, Was actually wanting to talk to you about this, but the running around was quite a bit and never got down to doing it.
Glad that you came across the thread yourself. Will call you one of these days! How is your car doing?
Somehow, with each accident or car trouble etc, you end up learning a lot more about cars and managing the system - especially if you are not the ASC sorts! Well, a lot of time gets wasted, but once the problem is resolved, life feels a lil empty and meaningless till you look for some other issue to resolve!
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 9th February 2010, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Great Thread Harsha,

Nice detailed writeup & good to see your car as good as new. No where it can be felt it is a 9 year old car.

Also , yes it is a cardinal rule of driving that you have to keep other driver faults in your mind. He may be sleeping, dozed or whatever, but we need to maintain a distance so our car stops before we hit the back of the front vehicle.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Harsha, so this is the thread where you've put up your experience. Missed it earlier.

Seeing the car on Sunday, it certainly didnt look like it had an accident, and the new number plate is swell as well! Was nice to get to meet you then.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Harsha, so this is the thread where you've put up your experience. Missed it earlier.

Seeing the car on Sunday, it certainly didnt look like it had an accident, and the new number plate is swell as well! Was nice to get to meet you then.
Thanks pal, it was a pleasure meeting you all too! Yes, Sai Colorium has done a good job of it indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Great Thread Harsha,

Nice detailed writeup & good to see your car as good as new. No where it can be felt it is a 9 year old car.

Also , yes it is a cardinal rule of driving that you have to keep other driver faults in your mind. He may be sleeping, dozed or whatever, but we need to maintain a distance so our car stops before we hit the back of the front vehicle.
Thanks Sam, for the kind words and the advice. Yes, I take good care of my car and it is a very nice vehicle indeed - the engine has not shown any signs of ageing, touch wood. In fact the car has only done a little less than 50K in all these years!
As for the distance part, I have learnt my lesson and will be more careful going forward.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 10th February 2010, 10:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post

Bumper: 8,000
Headlight Assemblies: 6,500 (both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

The main reason i wanted Harsha to post was to bring out the fact that Hyundai repair and service are not as cheap, as we believe it to be!
Agree and disagree. Agree that it is not cheap. Disagree that Accent is costly to maintain. Here is goes my story(happened more than a year back so dont remember exact amount spent) :

Met with an accident. Had to get it fixed. So went to Trident (in sheshadri puram). Got an estimation of around 18000 and told that it will take 15 days to get it fixed. I was like no way i can leave the car for 15 days for minor fixing (Had stricly told - no repair only REPLACE). They said impossible to give the car before 15 days. As the car was in drivable condition , I took it to Advaith (in mission road).
The real shock came in when they gave the estimation. It was around 12000 and will be fixed in 4 days. I was in a shock, how can the rates vary like this from one showroom to another located at a distance of 12 kms!!!!
Any ways got insurance claimed and paid 3000rs from pockey (Fair enough).

Dont remember the part wise break up , but i clearly remember the headlight (left) costed around 1900 Rs. Yes, everything from the showroom with bill and VAT (extra) etc etc.

So now tell me what is costlier ? car or service station ?

Attached is the cars pic (before and after) :
Hyundai Acc(id)ent!-car.jpg

Hyundai Acc(id)ent!-car2.jpg

Yeah, managed to get the new Grill

EDIT : Now i know whom to contact next time i meet with an accident.

Last edited by livyodream : 10th February 2010 at 10:43.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:38   #24
Team-BHP Support

So how much was the final bill? and what all were replaced?

And car and service station are a package deal the manufacturer offers, unless one has time to figure out decent workshop outside. Its very funny to see Hyundai letting dealers run their show in whatever manner you have described.

Maybe the first workshop was full and didnt want to take further work

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th February 2010 at 10:40.
Old 14th February 2010, 19:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

very nicely written. an eye opener, I need some contacts like this in NCR Region. Hyundai A,S,S take their own time and charge a bomb.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

My two bits

I have been involved in two rear-end collisions, one pretty minor (dislocated and cracked the rear bumper and chipped away at the right hand tail light), and the other a rather heavy one (nicely dented the hatch door, knocking off the locking cylinder from the rear hatch (but surprisingly leaving the rear glass intact).

The first time I was a very new owner and decided to replace both the bumper and the tail light (together under 2K), when I could have just got the bumper re-fitted and left the tail light as it was. The second time the hatch door had to be replaced, the lock sylinder had to be replaced (I went ahead and changed it for all the doors, for safety's sake).

Unless there has been any personal injury, the insurance companies don't insist on an FIR for an accident. However there may be exceptions to this. Also if you are getting the work done from a place other than the authorized service centre and sourcing the parts from the after-market and not from the A.S.S., it would be best to get it approved first in writing from the insurance company. Getting the repairs done from unauthorized people or dealers could go against the law. This is a point often not taken seriously and flouted by a majority of the people as well as insurance companies. God forbid if you ever got into something more serious than a fender-bender and if a claim were filed against you, anything in your car that violates the manufacturer's specifications (including the 100/90 bulbs) could go against you in the court.
Old 15th February 2010, 13:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
very nicely written.
Thanks Tanwaramit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Agree and disagree. Agree that it is not cheap. Disagree that Accent is costly to maintain. Here is goes my story(happened more than a year back so dont remember exact amount spent) :

EDIT : Now i know whom to contact next time i meet with an accident.
Liveyodream, I am happy you got your car fixed in an efficient manner. I am sure you would have ended up spending less than half the amount had you decided to get the thing fixed outside the ASC - because, the bumper could me mended and reclamped, and the front RHS fender (is it the right term) could have been dented and painted. But then, the peace of mind that many people attach with ASC might not be there and anyway you were clear on replacement. It's at the end of the day, a question of priority as well. Save cost vs. save time and ASC parts vs. aftermarket parts etc. I am still trying to get the headlamp assembly for Rs. 1730 odd from Trident, who only prefers to stock the 2500 Rs. unit with wiring and holders Anyway, will try Advaith if I lose patience. I could figure from your post that they have the part!
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 19th February 2010, 12:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Liveyodream, I am happy you got your car fixed in an efficient manner. I am sure you would have ended up spending less than half the amount had you decided to get the thing fixed outside the ASC - because, the bumper could me mended and reclamped, and the front RHS fender (is it the right term) could have been dented and painted. But then, the peace of mind that many people attach with ASC might not be there and anyway you were clear on replacement. It's at the end of the day, a question of priority as well. Save cost vs. save time and ASC parts vs. aftermarket parts etc. I am still trying to get the headlamp assembly for Rs. 1730 odd from Trident, who only prefers to stock the 2500 Rs. unit with wiring and holders Anyway, will try Advaith if I lose patience. I could figure from your post that they have the part!
Cheers,
Harsha
Hmm. i did not go for repair and got everything replaced (dumb, new car emotions) which costed more unnecessarily.

Try with mission road Hyundai (Advaith i guess). Ask Devendra (he was in parts and accident department) who helped me a lot in insurnace claims and all. His number - 9945546092 (not sure if its still active)
Old 19th February 2010, 13:56   #29
BHPian

Thanks a lot! I understand new car emotions, fair enough.

By the way, finally, after making me wait for two weeks, Trident Hyundai finally got me the part - it cost 1900 including fitting. the vendor took back the crappy headlights he sold me - i bought engine oil, oil filter, gear oil etc from him instead.

somehow not happy with ASC. When they set my clutch play, they gave me a tick tick sound from the engine for free!
the sound increases with revs. i need to search the whats that sound thread now! damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Hmm. i did not go for repair and got everything replaced (dumb, new car emotions) which costed more unnecessarily.

Try with mission road Hyundai (Advaith i guess). Ask Devendra (he was in parts and accident department) who helped me a lot in insurnace claims and all. His number - 9945546092 (not sure if its still active)
Old 26th October 2010, 13:51   #30
BHPian

Query

Hi Harsha,

I have read your post and your positive experience at Sai.

A friend of mine is interested in it. Can you tell me how is the car holding up after almost a year ?

Are there any complaints?

Regards

Sateesh

Most Viewed