Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 16:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda SERIOUSLY needs to revisit their service schedules. Here's why:

1. I don't agree with the 10K interval when the oil is mineral. Synthetic, sure, but 10K on mineral oil is bad news.

2. Best for Honda to switch over to synthetic and require owners to change every 10,000 kms (10K is slowly becoming the standard service interval window). Personally, I'd be happier with an interval of 7,500 kms. Even with synthetic, I'm not comfortable going over 7.5K of city driving.
Oil change is every 6 months or 10K kms, whichever is earlier. And from what I have gathered, most car owners will meet up with 6 months much earlier than 10K kms.. so, the oil change interval is pretty much OK to me..
Old 9th February 2010, 10:10   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
most car owners will meet up with 6 months much earlier than 10K kms.. so, the oil change interval is pretty much OK to me..
The question isn't of meeting the 6 month requirement earlier than 10K kms. It's about standards. And I simply do NOT agree with a 10,000 km oil change interval on mineral oil. Not for Honda, and not for any other manufacturer either. Our urban crawl driving conditions, low average speed, dusty environment and short distance commuting can get hard on the engine.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:22   #18
BHPian

During my visit to the service station, the SA told me that Honda had revised the oil change interval for synthetic oil also to 5000 kms.When quizzed why the interval is the same as mineral oil, his argument was that synthetic oil is to be used for high running engines. well to me, it beats the real purpose of synthetic oil which is atleast 2x expensive at Honda.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:50   #19
BHPian

[My 2 cents]
In general, Honda engines are high-rev engines compared to others for a street car (typically redlining at about 7K rpms). An engine running at higher rpms (irrespective of vehicle speed) would heat up quicker and digest oil faster than those running at lower rpms. Hence an engine with higher redline would need early oil change.

However, if a particular oil has a longer life (without making harder for the engine to digest it), then it should result in longer oil change intervals for the same engine. If synthetic oil has a life of 10K kms/1 year, I dont find any reason for Honda to have 5K/6 month service interval.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaani View Post
During my visit to the service station, the SA told me that Honda had revised the oil change interval for synthetic oil also to 5000 kms.When quizzed why the interval is the same as mineral oil, his argument was that synthetic oil is to be used for high running engines. well to me, it beats the real purpose of synthetic oil which is atleast 2x expensive at Honda.
Typical Honda India rip off tactic. Synthetic oil costs 3 to 4x per litre more than mineral oil. It doesnt make sense to change synthetic at 5k kms/6 mths intervals. A good mineral oil for e.g. the OEM Idemitsu mineral would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
[My 2 cents]
In general, Honda engines are high-rev engines compared to others for a street car (typically redlining at about 7K rpms). I dont find any reason for Honda to have 5K/6 month service interval.
Modern i.e. < than 5 model year factory spec petrol car engines red line at 6500 -6800 RPM. Therefore there's nothing extraordinary in street car honda engines except that they get to that RPM level comparatively happily i.e. without comparative levels of vibration and harshness. This encourages owners to red line them.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Modern i.e. < than 5 model year factory spec petrol car engines red line at 6500 -6800 RPM. Therefore there's nothing extraordinary in street car honda engines except that they get to that RPM level comparatively happily i.e. without comparative levels of vibration and harshness. This encourages owners to red line them.
Thats the whole point here, the chances of Honda engines being run at higher rpms(on an average) is very high due to
1. relatively lower low-end torque
2. revs effortlessly like you said,
both being typical characteristics of Honda engines. So Honda engines are more likely to digest engine oil sooner than others IMO.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

There is a difference actually. It's just that their economy engines are the regular engines here. Regular Honda engines abroad hover around the 8500RPM mark compared to the rather sedate 6800RPM mark for the engines here.

The point stands though. Revving your car to the redline is part of the daily drive for most of us.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:21   #23
BHPian

Re: What is service interval for Honda Cars?

I found this old thread with same subject that i have doubt on . Hence posting here.

I have a All New Honda City ( 2010 ) which has just completed 2 years and about 9000 Kms. I have been regularly servicing the car at Solitaire Honda (Andheri ). Mumbai.

Recently my service centre has become more aggressive with their service calls . Since my running is low i used to give my car for service every 6 months . Now the solitaire guy calls me saying service is due ( in 3 months) . I told him that i have not even run 2.5K or 3K Kms since my last service 3 months back.

But he insisted that service is every 3 months and also said this is the case with ALL honda dealers in Mumbai. I specifically told him that my user manual says that services are due every 6 months Or 5000 KMS.

Though i use Synthetic oil for which I think i should be changing oil just once a year since my running is not over 5000 Kms a year i still do it twice anyway .

I now feel that when i actually take my car for service ( 6 month duration ) the service guys will ask to check a lot of things which i dont think are warranted.

My car is running as well as it was out of showroom on day 1 . Zero issues . If they ask for doing things like AC Service etc should i let them to it or demand proof that its recommended by honda as per their advised schedule.

As it is these showrooms are not using mineral oil any more even though nothing like that is written in the owners manual .

I cannot believe that a 3 cylinder Hyundai Eon is better engineered that its service intervals are 1 year / 10000 Kms but Honda City is 3 / 6 months / and 5000 KMS.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:50   #24
BANNED

As long as you are using API-SM or higher 12 months/10,000km is fine with me once out of warranty. I have done this for over two decades with no ill effects.
Old 20th January 2012, 16:00   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
IRecently my service centre has become more aggressive with their service calls . Since my running is low i used to give my car for service every 6 months . Now the solitaire guy calls me saying service is due ( in 3 months) . I told him that i have not even run 2.5K or 3K Kms since my last service 3 months back.

But he insisted that service is every 3 months and also said this is the case with ALL honda dealers in Mumbai. I specifically told him that my user manual says that services are due every 6 months Or 5000 KMS.
What Honda "recommends" is a visual check up every 3 months and mandates a service every 5k kms/6 months.

It is the 5k kms/6 months schedule that you should be adhering to. There is no need to visit the A.S.S. every 3 months.

My father gave in to the A.S.S.s repeated calls to bring the car in for servicing. They changed the engine oil barely 3.5 months after it was changed and the car was run 2k kms. I mailed Honda about this and they made the dealer reimburse the engine oil cost in the next service.

5k kms/6 months. Period.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 17:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I have been regularly servicing the car at Solitaire Honda (Andheri). Mumbai. Recently my service centre has become more aggressive with their service calls saying service is due (in 3 months).
Anything that they start doing recently means they're trying to get fresh and they are either trying to perform a silent recall or they are trying to generate additional sales for their service division. Unless you are using mineral oil and are you're driving at the peak of the summer and driving in a manner that would require it (at least any two of these), you shouldn't have to perform frequent oil changes. You should, however, regularly ensure that all the fluid levels are at their optimum levels. I did have a single isolated incident when the coolant tank went dry for no reason at all - no leaks either before or after that incident, and it wasn't just after a service.
Old 12th August 2013, 18:07   #27
BHPian

Apt thread when the most needed. I bought my Honda City last April. I use it only on weekends and that too would be within 100km.
So till date I haven't reached the 5k mark.
I have exhausted the free service and just one paid service this year. Now I get call from SA to bring my car for next service. Should I avail this service or I can wait for atleast 10k KM.
Old 9th December 2013, 16:11   #28
BHPian

My Honda City manual (bought December end 2012) says that the service interval is every 3 months or 5000kms. But apparently everyone else have 6 months in their manual?! Can someone clarify? Not sure what I'm missing, 3 months is ridiculous.
Old 9th December 2013, 21:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
My Honda City manual (bought December end 2012) says that the service interval is every 3 months or 5000kms. But apparently everyone else have 6 months in their manual?! Can someone clarify? Not sure what I'm missing, 3 months is ridiculous.
3 months is for check-up is what they say. 6months/5k kms is what the service interval is. Ridiculous, I agree!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 16:59   #30
BHPian

Sorry about revisiting this old thread, but I have been servicing my Honda City (bought last year) every 3 months. I send my car for servicing to Apex Honda in Kurla, Mumbai and they are very regular in calling me up every 3 months. Even I am not sure this is even required. Can we refuse a service without affecting the warranty?

Having said that, am not at all satisfied with the service offered by Apex Honda. Plan to shift to Solitaire Honda which is near my workplace ... will update on my experience there.

Most Viewed