Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 12:57   #1
BHPian

OHC VTEC O2 sensor Light not coming up

Hi All,

I have a weird problem with the O2 sensor on my OHC VTEC. The yellow light of O2 sensor doesn't come up when the ignition is turned ON.
I've read a lot of posts on the sensor light being always ON.

I cleaned the sensor and put it back again and still the problem persists. I want the forum's opinion before I get it changed. I went to Whitefield Honda, the service adviser said the O2 sensor is working fine. I have my own doubts about that.
Awaiting your response.

Thanks in advance.
VTEC_Rocks!
Old 8th February 2010, 13:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the yellow light is not comming at all then its just a prob with either the bulb or the fuse. Even my OHC had this issue. Just got the light replaced.

If the O2 sensor goes bad the yellow light will come and stay only once the engine has warmed up.

Shan2nu
Old 8th February 2010, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

The yellow light is the Check Engine light, not an O2 sensor light.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:47   #4
BHPian

Pardon my Ignorance. But I think the same light works for O2 sensor too.

@Shan2nu: I'll get the bulb and the fuse checked at once.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

The light could signal one of many various errors. People assuming that it's going to be the O2 sensor 100% is wrong and that's why I specified that it's the CEL.

Now that I'm talking about it, go here to understand and decipher CEL codes once you get it working. Service centres charge hundreds of Rupees to do this.

Checking the CEL Codes - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com
Honda/ Acura CEL Codes - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedracing.com

The service check connector on Indian Honda City is found in the footwell on the right-hand side of the passenger's footwell , under the dashboard and is usually under a small green/blue rubber cover.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:40   #6
BHPian

Awesome. Thanks for Info Pranav
Old 12th February 2010, 10:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
If the yellow light is not comming at all then its just a prob with either the bulb or the fuse. Even my OHC had this issue. Just got the light replaced.

If the O2 sensor goes bad the yellow light will come and stay only once the engine has warmed up.
Hi guys,

I got the fuse and the bulb checked they are working fine.
The O2 sensor is the culprit I'm getting it replaced.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
Hi guys,

Since the O2 sensor costs in the range of 3-4K, i would suggest that you get the car connected to a diagnostic device at a service centre and double check that the O2 sensor has gone kaput prior to replacing the same. As for the sensor, you can buy the same through Bosch. If required, I can get you contacts of Bosch distributors who can source the O2 sensor for you easily.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 12th February 2010, 12:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the 02 sensor goes bad, the engine check light does not vanish. It stays on once the engine has warmed up. Ask the Honda guys to find out why the light isn't comming on at all if the bulb and fuse are ok.

Only once this prob is solved, should you go after the 02 sensor.

Does the light come when you turn the key to the 2nd position (just before you start the car)? You should be able to see the check light even if the 02 sensor is busted. When my 02 sensor went bad, the light used to stay on and after a few months it vanished completey. Got the 02 sensor replaced but the light was still missing.

Then during the previous service i asked Honda to see why the light wasn't coming on and they found that the check light bulb had blown. Got that replaced and the car is back to normal.

The main purpose of the check light is to tell you that there is something wrong with the engine. So get that fixed first and then see if it stays on.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th February 2010 at 12:37.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:01   #10
BHPian

Sure guys. I'll get a complete check done. This time with Magnum Honda. Have tried both Whitefield and Dakshin Honda. The experience with Dakshin Honda was pathetic. They don't value a customer. They care a damn about you. I had to wait for 20-30 mins after the service dude said "2 mins please". Finally I caught hold of the manager and gave him an ear full.
Probably this time, I'll insist on going into the service area.
Will check it again.

@Harsha: Thanks much for letting me know that you could help with the contacts. I'll let you know after another round of check up.
Old 12th February 2010, 16:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@Harsha: Thanks much for letting me know that you could help with the contacts. I'll let you know after another round of check up.
Anytime pal. I have anyway posted the details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1729506-post8.html
Old 15th February 2010, 12:01   #12
BHPian

Hey Guys! Good news

Went to the local mechanic on Saturday, The adapter that the O2 sensor gets plugged into had a rust inside. Things are back to normal after a good round of cleaning.

Thanks for all your input guys.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

You are looking at this wrong.

If your CEL doesn't come on at ignition time, then there is something wrong with the bulb or the connection from your ECU to the CEL. The CEL is not an O2 sensor indicator. It is a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. It shows something is wrong with your car and that an error code has been logged in the ECU.

If the CEL light comes on and disappears after you start the engine, your car is perfectly fine. It's how it's supposed to work. If the CEL stays on, then you need to connect a scanner to the OBD port and find out what's wrong.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

If the CEL light comes on and disappears after you start the engine, your car is perfectly fine. It's how it's supposed to work.
This is exactly what is happening now. That's the reason why I said its working fine now. Got a round of cleaning done.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what is happening now. That's the reason why I said its working fine now. Got a round of cleaning done.
Congrats pal! I am glad you sorted it out and didnt end up buying a new O2 sensor needlessly. Sometimes seemingly complex issues have simple straightforward solutions. BTW, who is your mechanic?
cheers,
Harsha

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks