Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 02:54   #1
BHPian

Resolved: Santro Power Steering Noise

I recently did 1500km run on my santro xing, before going on trip i did got many things changed and cleaned.

Since last 2-3 days i was getting noise when i turned steering and it was feeling bit tight, I thought it needed a service etc.

but i didn't recalled to check Power Steering Fluid, when i got back from some work, worried a bit about loosing money on this repair, I remembered the fluid reservoir and instantly took a look into bonnet using a torch, and WOW, it was way below the Minimum Mark.

Next morning first thing was a TOP UP, took the waxpol one(Rs.100), and filled up, and what, the steering was more stiff, also felt like jamming on few angles, skipped a beat on it.

Drove 10-20 kms, with thought and pains of loosing more money by H.A.S.S. i again opened the bonnet to have a third look, and wow level was down again, Topped up again and next morning i found it was full to Max Mark.

drove again and WHAT a SHOCK, the steering was back to LIFE, its super smooth, much more than my recent months.

Reason for this post is, I've checked this 2-3 times now, There's no leakage, no oil spots, no noise on taking sharpest turn, or playing Video Games with steering wheel, while car is started but stationary so do i need to get it checked, or the noise i experienced earlier was just due to LOW LEVEL of Fluid ?

Thanks again Bhpians, for always being a treasure for Auto Related Questions and Answers
Old 14th February 2010, 11:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I am surprised that you saw the level drop twice but later all was normal
Old 15th February 2010, 00:47   #3
BHPian

May be there was Air in pipes and it settled once i topped it up and drove.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

The reason for the level dropping 2nd time after top-up was air in the circulation system.

For best results, drain out the entire PS fluid and replace with Shell helix PS fluid. You'll be pleasantly surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
May be there was Air in pipes and it settled once i topped it up and drove.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:10   #5
BHPian

sob sob sob, seems oil seal in my power steering is leaked, its draining PS fluid everyday now.

Asked hyundai today and quote is 1500
will get it done along service this week itself.
Old 16th February 2010, 20:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

1500 or 15000?You'll need to get the leak sorted out
Old 17th February 2010, 11:07   #7
BHPian

yeah, i know, this is going to be a nice hole in my pocket this month.

will be going for service tomm. (Thursday) will post the cost later.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:45   #8
BHPian

Santro power-steering pump change will cost you about 13000. However, an O-ring change should cost you about 800. If the service centre does not offer this option, you could consider getting it done outside.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yeah, i know, this is going to be a nice hole in my pocket this month.

will be going for service tomm. (Thursday) will post the cost later.
I heard from someone here that Rane reps do a Power Steering refurbishment for a fraction of the original cost - and offer a warranty too
Old 19th February 2010, 02:46   #10
BHPian

Thanks nura, vigsom, my power steering was resolved earlier today, some fluid pipe which had some screw missed and caused this, there was no need to open the P.S. unit, it was fixed easily, No cost except the tip

However got the car serviced, oil changed, Injector cleaned, rear break drum was kaput, one headlight point in switch was replaced and other usual jobs.

Car was washed at local washing bay, as at the H.A.S.S. water pump was under repair and i didn't wanted to wait any longer.

Everything (service + wash) was settled in approx Rs.3000

cool
Old 19th February 2010, 07:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks nura, vigsom, my power steering was resolved earlier today, some fluid pipe which had some screw missed and caused this, there was no need to open the P.S. unit, it was fixed easily, No cost except the tip
Phew !!! Thank God !!!!
Old 31st August 2016, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Re: Resolved: Santro Power Steering Noise

Having the same problem with my Santro 2010. The steering has become hard, especially when I take a left turn. It's also making a noise.

Went to H A S S, they said the the entire unit needs to be changed since it is water logged, I don't remember driving my car in floods :(

They are asking for 25000 for the work. Phew !

Going to my reliable car mechanic this weekend to get it sorted. Have to drive from Delhi to Patiala before that, hopefully won't be a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks