Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Problem with Digital Box (Skoda octavia TDI 1.9)

Hi guys,

I have just installed the digital box in my skoda. This system has enhanced the power form 90 to 120 PS. There are few issues am experiencing now, such as;
1. More smoke
2. Engine noise as increased.
Can I fix this issue without removing the box.
If yes, would need inputs.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2010 at 17:44. Reason: Removing [Font] tags. Please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Do a preview before posting, Thanks
Old 16th February 2010, 10:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excessive smoke is a known complaint with the power boxes. Refer to this thread and this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Before reading anything a disclamer :- I dunno how petes work. I'm just guessing that he increases the injection duration by some fancy electronics.

In a Diesel Engine the government tests 5 factors for pollution NOx, Particulate matter, Carbon Monoxide, HydroCarbons and Free accelaration Smoke.

All the pollutants are measeured in gms/kWh while THe Smoke is Measured in Bosch units/ Hatrige units - which is actually a measure of the opacity of smoke.(means how black that is)

Since when a diesel goes for PUC certification-the yearly thing- only FAS (Free accelaration smoke) is measured- there is a torque limitation quantity map in the ECU which limits the injection duration and timing during hard accelaration.Actually the engine is capable of doing more but , to make the smoke not blacker the manufacturers have to limit it.

And there are people already telling that the black smoke increases with Petes. Which is sort of explained by the above.A better filter can help this marginally by putting more air and helping to burn off those extra fuel which comes as black soot- which transalates to even more power.

My hunch is that petes adds some more duration to ECU set- by (maybe) amplifying the voltage to the ECU. Slightly bad for the injector. bUt the manufacturer has now way to know how much was the injector actually injecting if Petes not messing with the quantity maps.If the map values were altered the manufacturer would come to know.

So what do I feel - I'd buy it - Care less about environment. I smoke anyway.Now somebody sponsor me an Elantra CRDi. Tadu you listening??
Mobike had this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
No Sirji, the smoke issue isnt entirely sorted out. Here's how the equation works :-

I clean the Green Cotton religiously once in 5000kms and for the first 2000kms even upon hard accelaration ( with ac on and off) i dont see any smoke at all.

After that mileage, the smoke starts to appear irrespective of ac on or off "only" on hard accelaration. So to reduce embarrasment, when i am driving hard, i try to keep the ac off

Damn the smoke, Pete's Box is worth every penny. I cannot drive without one now
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Excessive smoking : Due to Pete's Box and Green Cotton Air-filter, i have noticed the amount of smoke emission has increased considerably. In fact, last month instead of driving, i kept checking the ORVM since I was concerned of how much the car was smoking. It was little embarrasing. After taking some inputs from TBHP, i cleaned the filter with compressed air,oil and lubes and voila, the smoke emission almost disappeared. Except that it still smokes once in while under hard accelaration and especially with AC switched on. Need to find what is this connection with AC, except that it puts more load on the engine.
Your second complaint on the noise? Well, its all in the head. I don't see how a power box could raise the engine noise levels. Or maybe, you are revving it a little more now
Old 17th February 2010, 18:03   #3
BHPian

Thanks guys for the inputs. I spoke to petes, they asked me to clean up the injector and the intercooler. Any one knows who will do this in Bangalore.
Intercooler is fine, but for injector, you need skilled technician and equipments.
Old 1st March 2010, 08:59   #4
BHPian

Issues with Boxed Octavia 1.9 TDi

@Robinson,
Can you please let us know at what Odo reading have you boxed your Octy?
I have been thinking of doing the same for mine too, but am not sure if the car has enough juice left at 88+Ks

I would like to ask the same question to a few senior BHPians like Rtech and Rehaan.

@GTO - is smoking a regular observation for boxed Octys?
Does installing a box lead to maintenance issues (e.g. injectors, intercoolers, etc.)

Thanks.

Monaro CV8
Old 1st March 2010, 09:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
Thanks guys for the inputs. I spoke to petes, they asked me to clean up the injector and the intercooler. Any one knows who will do this in Bangalore.
Intercooler is fine, but for injector, you need skilled technician and equipments.
i think the Bosch car care outlets in Bangalore do the job regarding injectors.
after its done you will naturally feel the car is more responsive in addition to the tuning box's performance.
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
@Robinson,
Can you please let us know at what Odo reading have you boxed your Octy?
I have been thinking of doing the same for mine too, but am not sure if the car has enough juice left at 88+Ks

I would like to ask the same question to a few senior BHPians like Rtech and Rehaan.

@GTO - is smoking a regular observation for boxed Octys?
Does installing a box lead to maintenance issues (e.g. injectors, intercoolers, etc.)

Thanks.

Monaro CV8
I know I'm not GTO, but I've got a little to say. I maybe a newbie in the comm, that doesn't mean I'm a newbie with engines/trannys and basically anything mechanical.
I had mine (tuning box for the skoda 1.9TDi) installed and now running at 80K presently and yes, it is very important to keep the air filter clean.
Even during the time of the stock filter, I used to keep blowing it with air every 1000kms. Helps especially since I take the car off roads once every week.
I don't see why people don't recommend a fuel additive to clean out the injectors. there's nothing you can do with them just removing and blowing through them. Besides, injectors are to be removed only while replacing.
Modern age injectors don't have any special parts in them, therefore if you suspect your injectors are fouled, then put in the additive in your next bunker and you'll be good to go.
88K is actually very young for an engine, so don't worry about that.
As for the intercooler - well, good idea to have it cleaned once in a while.
Old 8th March 2010, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I know I'm not GTO, but I've got a little to say. I maybe a newbie in the comm, that doesn't mean I'm a newbie with engines/trannys and basically anything mechanical.
I had mine (tuning box for the skoda 1.9TDi) installed and now running at 80K presently and yes, it is very important to keep the air filter clean.
Even during the time of the stock filter, I used to keep blowing it with air every 1000kms. Helps especially since I take the car off roads once every week.
I don't see why people don't recommend a fuel additive to clean out the injectors. there's nothing you can do with them just removing and blowing through them. Besides, injectors are to be removed only while replacing.
Modern age injectors don't have any special parts in them, therefore if you suspect your injectors are fouled, then put in the additive in your next bunker and you'll be good to go.
88K is actually very young for an engine, so don't worry about that.
As for the intercooler - well, good idea to have it cleaned once in a while.
@Otto,
Thanks for your inputs.
While I go on Tuned boxing my car, one question thats been bothering me for a while - K&N or Cotton Green as stock replacement filters for my 1.9 TDi?
I've read that the latter are better in terms of technology (Cotton Gauze Vs Cotton Fiber).
But whats the verdict between the two - maintainability wise. (oil Vs no oil?)
Old 8th March 2010, 17:32   #8
BHPian

@monaro: I have fit the box at 96+kms. Was checking with few friends who have done the same. According to them, smoke is common with the tuning box. But then it depends how you drive, if you floor for the pick up with the A/C on the car will smoke and thats quite normal. But then the difference in the pick up is really visible. So little compromise for the speed.
I would suggest you to fix green cotton as they are the best available for diesel engines.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2010 at 11:38. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares!
Old 8th March 2010, 21:23   #9
BHPian

not really, K&N or Green Air - they both do the same thing and almost the same price and both very effective in terms of both reliability and function.
as per the other post - I have absolutely no issues with black smoke coming out irrespective of whether I floor it or not.
have you tried cleaning the air filter and then trying again?
Old 9th March 2010, 11:29   #10
BHPian

Yes, the day I installed the box I changed the old K&N and fixed green cotton. The issue could be with the intercooler or injector. Planning to clean the intercooler and see how it works.
Has any body done engine remapping? am planning to do it some time. The amount of torque the engine generates after that is some times uncontrollable. Would like to hear from people who have done it and run the engine for more than 20K kms with the new software.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2010 at 11:38. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares!
Old 9th March 2010, 11:39   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson.s View Post
Has any body done engine remapping? am planning to do it some time.
This thread on power boxes versus remaps is your new best friend

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks