Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 17:58   #1

TATA Safari Dicor Steering Problems

Got a Tata Safari EX Dicor in October, past one week have seen an issue coming up with the Steering wheel making a cranky noise upon startup.

the noise was noticed in particular once there was a break of around 2-3 hours between the next drive. Got the vehicle to the service centre and they have come up with a reply that there was aleakage in the Power steering Oil and that the Steering GearBox needs to be replaced , also it would take atleast two days for it to come around .

Just want to check if anyone has come across similar issues and if this seems to be a standard trick used by the service centers..The vehicle is under warranty and just 3 mths old ..so am a bit anxious if they are trying to be a bit naughty and get parts changed..

have put up the vehicle with the showroom I got it from Fortune Cars in POwai Mumbai...

Awaiting advice(s)
Old 18th February 2010, 12:11   #2

Update

Been to the showroom today and seems there was majot steering fluid leakage , the showroom guys have sent the Steering gearbox and the Fluid pump for inspection

Unfortunately cannnot have the defective part as under warranty the manufaturer retain the faulty part...Hope this time I get a new brand one

Found this useful information on the steering control mechanism both manual and power one and the native pinion shaft steering mode

How a Car Steering Works

There are basically two styles of vehicle steering systems, rack and pinion and worm gear box. Rack and pinion steering is one of the oldest types of steering systems and is still used today. Inside the rack body a flat rack gear moves in a linear direction driven by a circular gear called a pinion. The steering wheel is connected to the pinion gear (shaft).

Rack and Pinion Steering
The rack gear is connected to an inner tie rod end that is covered by a rubber bellow. The inner tie rod end is connected to the outer tie rod end. These rod ends have the ability to move in any linear direction. Finally, the tie rod end is connected to the wheel spindle.

Rack Bellow, Inner Tie Rod, Outer Tie Rod End

Tie Rod End
A worm gear box style of steering system is constructed of two main parts much like the rack and pinion style system. The main part is called a worm gear; the other is a selector shaft gear. The worm gear is connected to the pitman arm and then to a center link and tie rod ends. The opposing end of the center link is supported by an idler arm, which is located on the opposite side of the frame from the steering box.

Steering Box (worm)
Steering can be either power or manual. Power steering utilizes a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine, and driven with a multi rib belt. The fluid in the system is held under pressure until the wheel is turned which releases the pressure and applies it to the steering system.The power steering system fluid should be checked at every service interval. Fluid leaks are a common problem on power steering systems. When a leak is detected inspect the system to determine the course of action, then remove damaged or worn parts and reassemble. Refill system with approved fluid for you particular vehicle. When the power steering system is low a groaning noise will be heard when the vehicle steering is activated. This is caused by the power steering pump scavenging for fluid and taking in air.
When the engine is off or the system has run completely out of fluid it will be very difficult to steer the vehicle. It is advised not to move a vehicle with power steering when either of these conditions exists. Any steering component malfunction can cause the vehicle to be uncontrollable. All steering components should be inspected for "play" at regular intervals and replaced as needed. When steering components are replaced an alignment is required. Power steering system maintenance is required periodically according to the manufacturer's instructions for your vehicle. Most manufacturers recommend having the hydraulic fluid in the power steering system changed every 60,000 miles.
pparames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 23:05   #3
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Dicor Steering Problems

I dont own a safari but i am fanboy. So this question is for all safari owners regarding this issue only

Safari's would take you back to home safely (proved by adc / tsk / lsw / happywheel / etc), would not give up on you (ie: running for 2 days @ a stretch)....so what do you guys say on this major steering failure issue. Good it got detected earlier.

Yeah, it can happen to any vehicle, but this just brings back the memory of shoddy QC done by TATA earlier, which people confirmed (here) that its improving.

I am just worried
Old 6th February 2013, 00:06   #4
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Dicor Steering Problems

I Own a safari which is 6 months old, I have done 15k on the odo. Even i had a similar issue, took it to the showroom, I was told that its steering oil leakage, He also told me that he will get it checked & if it is faulty, it will be replaced else will get it fixed. Will get my vehicle tomorrow.

I guess its the common problem with Safari.

PParamas thanks for the info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks