Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 21:39   #16
BHPian

Hi Doc,
the gasket change is only going to sort your oil leakage problem on top,as for the decarbonisation the head will be cleaned off all the excess carbon.

Decarbonisation and engine flush kind off work in different ways,by using a flush all the muck collected like say maybe oil impurities etc will be emptied when u drain the oil.its just like getting all the interiors cleaned without opening the engine,what your mechanic is going to do at the max maybe clean the piston heads.I still strongly suggest you go for the engine flush,trust me doc it will do only good and no harm to your engine.just do it i would say.

I guess timing belt change is recomended at 70k,you could take care of it now itself and be tension free.Another thing i would advise is getting the radiator pressure cleaned,dont use a flush for the radiator you may end up choking it.just remove the radiator,take it to this guys who was vechiles and use the pressure to clean ONLY interiors,do not direct pressure at the fins it will bend them.I guess this will cost you max 100 bucks,but its good to keep your radiator nice and clean and let the engine run at optimum temp.

All this minor things will keep your baby in top shape doc,its like a booster dose in your terms hehe...

Do the engine flush doc its good
Old 24th February 2010, 22:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! ArunUno, I wish you all the good luck for the restoration. Post many more pics please.

Regards,
Arun1100(crazy of Fiat 1100)
Old 24th February 2010, 22:53   #18
BHPian

@Scorpian-I have been completely ignorant about decarbonisation and flushing, they are completely different processes as I know now. Now, can i still decarbonise + flush at the same time?Thanks for the enlightenment.I have to stop work since OWS is not available here. Getting a bottle from Chennai and having it sent here by courier. Point taken about timing belt and radiator. Will do the needful.

@arun1100- another namesake and I am very happy to meet you. You must have noticed another 1100 alongside the Uno in the pictures, will post pictures of 1100 in the appropriate place.Unfortunately I cant drive the 1100 because I can't fit in. The seats are positioned a little higher and the roof is positioned a little lower,which makes me lie flat in the back if i have to travel. Will post pictures of the same.Thanks for your wonderful wishes

@Mods Jaggu- Thanks for the edit.

Update for today- Went around looking for door trims and found one last set in the Fiat spare shop I was talking about earlier. Setback - Rs.1400/

Total cost of works-Rs.2975

Love
Arun
Old 24th February 2010, 23:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arununo View Post

@arun1100- You must have noticed another 1100 alongside the Uno in the pictures, will post pictures of 1100 in the appropriate place
Arun
Do post pics of your 1100 in any of the Premier Padmini/ Fiat 1100 threads. All your Fiat problems will be solved.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:19   #20
BHPian

@Scorpian
Today was a no-show day. Spoke to OWS guys and found the engine flush that I can order over the net. Also in their product list is a OWS 360 which cleans the injectors and intake valves to restore them to peak efficiency, giving better fuel economy and improved throttle response. Have you used their 360 product before?They also have a radiator flush, since you mentioned choking I am not going to buy it. I will be ordering it tomorrow over the net since I didn't want anybody to take the trouble of going over at Chennai.

Sorry all. Now I have to stop work till the flush arrives here. More updates once it reaches here.

Love
Arun
Old 25th February 2010, 20:16   #21
BHPian

hi Doc,
get the pistons scraped,gasket changed and in the end run the flush and drain the oil.this should take care of everything.i have used ows 360 and its ok,a cheaper alternative wouldbe Iftex system G.Another alternative u can have is try to get yourseklf the decarbonisation liquid that they use to decarbonise the engine its costs sum 450bucks and empty it in your fuel tank.

I would either use ows360 or system G,run ur car till your fuel is almost empty and then fill the required additive and then the fuel,filling additive forst and then fuel will lead to proper mix of the additve,after this go for a nice long drive,a long drive coz higher speeds will clear all carbon.u will and shud feel a noticeable difference in throttle response,by any chance is ur throttle hard?if it is then change the cable,many a times a hard throttle makes u feel like the car isnt running the way it should.

Another thing i wanted to tell u is that Wurth makes a product that converts rust,u can check their website,i cant remenber the name but it converts rust,u can get ur self a can and spray the rusted area on the pic.

How about the plugs>?when did u change them last?a upgrade to NGK platinum would be good and easy on the pocket,i think they cost some 160 each,i used them on the zen and found the accleration a lil crisper.

i guess this should take care of all,in the end after all is over call me over for a drive hehe
Old 25th February 2010, 21:05   #22
BHPian

@ Scorpian- My friend in need

A doubt. Which comes first? Decarb or flush? found an alternative to wurth.is it ok? I have mailed them for a quote.Here is the link. They have a carburettor spray too.Automotive Applications -- CVC Rustkote-300. and how about this one? Tata Motors Customer Care :: Anti-rust Treatments
Throttle is ok. needs no repair. Plugs need a change. How about bosch platinum instead? I am offering alternatives because none of these brands are available here and I need to source them from elsewhere if I have to.

I spoke to the Jopasu person in Nagpur for post-restoration car detailing. He said he can help if I can drive over. Nagpur is reachable from here.

Ahem! I wish I have some money left after all this put some fuel in the tank.
You are most welcome for the drive! May be we can plan a drive to Bastar-Chitrakoot 6.5hours away from here to see the niagra falls of India. Some petrolheads have already approached me regarding this.

Thanks
Arun
Old 26th February 2010, 13:38   #23
BHPian

Hi doc,
Fisrt decarb,then flush.
Your throttle is fine thats great.Besides Wurth you can also try for 3M products,they are also good and i have personally used 3m carb and choke cleaner and it works wonders.If you dont find 3m then buy what your getting,probably mailing 3M india would give you their dealer addresses,they respond pretty fast.

Yes doc after you have finished ALL works get the car machine polished and do a complete interior clean up,this will make you car brand new doc.

I have done a dupont polish once and it costed me 2000/- i was pretty satisfied with the job,the guy came home and did some 5stages of treatment and even did some glass polishing,and doc it shines till date.

Besides this after u have got your car polished i would really advise you to use the amway car wash,its great and just gives the car a wax like effect.

Bosch is also fine for plugs i have always been faithful to NGK,but i guess bosch should be cool too.

Just a few days doc and when u drive ppl will ask if fiat has restarted selling unos......heheh.

I live in goa but i wouldnt mind driving down to meet you guys.take care....
Manoj
Old 26th February 2010, 18:47   #24
BHPian

Today's Update
As I said earlier NO work on the car. Called up OWS people in chennai to find out when the products would arrive. Was told to chill for 5-6 days
Thought I can do the carburettor cleaning and went in search of a spray, found a STP make spray having a MRP of rs.250/, but the guy said there is a mistake on the label and said he will sell it for rs.285/. I frankly felt the guy taking me for a ride and refused the offer(I never buy anything that is sold above MRP like the Indian railways that take so many people for a ride). So no spray Manoj! If anyone has bought it before please let me know. The 3m guy responsible for this area is not picking up his phone, so no 3m too.

Another store caught my eye with a NGK sticker, so jumped at the opportunity. the owner of the store said he can get me the plugs at rs.190 a piece and that I have to purchase 10 pieces. I got so angry that I cursed NGK and all of its products to come,to vent my anger I tried calling up the local distributor here, but again no answer on the phone.

So i returned home consumed with rage( didn't show any of it on the road though) and furiously started typing away this update. I guess I need something cold to cool down!

Sorry to disappoint guys! No more Mr.Nice Guy
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!

Arun
Old 27th February 2010, 08:49   #25
BHPian

Chill Doc,
wait for your ows products,Forget the NgK go ahead with bosch.Dont let this work you out,this things happen.

Just buy the spray that you can find in tata,even a throttle body cleaner will be just fine doc.At tat you shall get it at mrp or maybe a lil less.

Meanwhile to keep you busy lets start the fuel treatment,if you havent ordered the ows360,pick a bottle of iftex and let it start cleaning your gummed jets and stuff....but remember u need to drive....high speed driving will clear a lot of your gummung with iftex flowing through.By high speed i mean 80 and above...
Old 27th February 2010, 21:19   #26
BHPian

Hi all especially Manoj!

I guess I am the only one in this entire state that wants a Gulf Neutralizer, So the dealer asked me to buy the entire box of 25 cans Not just for this product but for whatever I am asking for(be it ngk, Iftex and whatever). Looks like Life is UNFAIR. So I have decided to park myself and the car till the products arrive from Chennai. So I can only say to all Happy "Holi"days. At least the next week might be as colorful as holi.

Colorfully yours

Arun
Old 28th February 2010, 12:50   #27
BHPian

hey Doc,
sad to hear all i can say is this ppl create a lot of nuisance.You knw anybody in maruti?U can get yourself 3m products from them if u knw coz maruti uses 3m for cleaning the throttle body,besides this maruti also promotes bardahl and iftex......u may be able to source them ,if not u can atleast request from where they purchase.

I would have shipped all of this stuff to you,but i doubt the couriere guys will acept metal tin and inflamable liquid,plus nowadays with the recent mega scam of drugs being shipped through courier we are forced to show the contents and then seal it,so it just wont be accepted.

Just bear with it doc in the end your patience will pay and you yourself will say the trouble was wirth it.....

take care,
Old 1st March 2010, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Update:
The maruti guys didn't have a clue of what I was asking about, they knew about decarbonisation but little else. Also, they wouldn't let any of the products out of the shop floor.Some cheer! the speed-works guys at Chennai have finally shipped the order. another wait for 2-3 days. Getting the Bosch plugs tomorrow.
Sometimes I wish people of this state took a little more interest in maintaining their cars, so that these products are available as single pieces instead of a consignment. Will post pictures of the poor maintenance that cars here suffer under.

Arun
Old 1st March 2010, 22:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Please post some WIP pics of your car.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:20   #30
BHPian

So near, yet, so far!

The OWS products are making the trip across India to reach me. Funny why it couldn't come via Hyderabad? I've attached a picture to show its progress.
There was some rattling in the car, which I am planning to address. Found a Wuerth dealer that can give me these bitumen based self adhesive sound proofing sheets. Planning a DIY. Will post more WIP pictures from now on.

Love
Arun
Attached Thumbnails
Progetto di restauro FIAT Uno (Uno Restoration)-sp3220100303211341.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks