Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 23:09   #1
BHPian

i20 power issues,Refusing to move beyond 70Km/hr

Dear BHPians ,
I faced a strange problem in my i20 (petrol) today.

I was travelling at the speed of 70,2K RPM when suddenly I realized that that on pressing the accelerator the car is not moving forward. I released & pressed again but car seemed to be dead. The RPM started dropping (From 2K) ,I could not understand what has happened, I down shifted & switched off the AC & the blower but this also dint helped. I even switched off the stereo but to no avail.

Slowly I moved the car to the left most lane gradually downshifted to 2nd gear, continued for some time & then the car behaved normal. Although it was highway but the road was empty so it was not very scary but surely something to worry about.

I stopped to see if there was any white smoke but there wasn’t any.Engine temperature was also normal

Just before this happened I had put the blower speed to 3 since it was quite hot in late afternoon can this be a problem?
After some 30 mins while moving in traffic in 2nd gear I noticed the battery sign fluctuating just for a second. After this I travelled almost 80Kms but dint faced any problem

I would be visiting the service centre tomorrow but still would like to learn what could be the possible causes?

I read some similar threads for Swift & Vista but they were deisels,the one being questioned is petrol & only 3 months old ,1500 Kms driven
Old 21st February 2010, 23:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Most likely a case of bad fuel. Go through this thread to know trusted petrol pumps in pune. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...rol-pumps.html
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos11 View Post
Dear BHPians ,
I was travelling at the speed of 70,2K RPM when suddenly I realized that that on pressing the accelerator the car is not moving forward. I released & pressed again but car seemed to be dead. The RPM started dropping (From 2K) ,I could not understand what has happened, I down shifted & switched off the AC & the blower but this also dint helped. I even switched off the stereo but to no avail.

Slowly I moved the car to the left most lane gradually downshifted to 2nd gear, continued for some time & then the car behaved normal. would like to learn what could be the possible causes?
Looks like it is a problem with the Throttle sensor or the feedback from this sensor to ecu

Hook up the car to a scanner to find out(that's eactly what you're planning,right?)

Just to add,switching off the stereo will make no difference in any scenario,except if someone wants to speak to you.
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did the "check engine" light, 'light up' during this problem??
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Umm... did you try cutting the gear down from (I assume) 5th to 4th / 3rd and see if the RPM goes beyond 2k? Wanted to check if it is with the engine RPM being "locked" at 'x' RPM or something else...
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Was there any engine warning light at the time?

might be some sensor issue.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Hook up the car to a scanner to find out(that's eactly what you're planning,right?)
The service centre tried it but there was no problem.They just said it could be a problem with the fuel.For them this is a new problem ,havnt heard of it before

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Did the "check engine" light, 'light up' during this problem??
No there was no check engine light lighting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Umm... did you try cutting the gear down from (I assume) 5th to 4th / 3rd and see if the RPM goes beyond 2k? Wanted to check if it is with the engine RPM being "locked" at 'x' RPM or something else...
Yes I downshifted to 4th at same speed but the RPM dint increased,dint tried at 3rd gear,gradully lowered the speed,came down to 2nd gear & continued with this for some time.It worked this way

Since this was the first time I faced this issue,I'm willing to believe that it could be due some adultrated petrol.
Will keep everyone posted if this arises again (God forbid ! )
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:31   #8
BHPian

I may be stupid but was the hand brake on?
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:

After some 30 mins while moving in traffic in 2nd gear I noticed the battery sign fluctuating just for a second.
If they still have'nt, ask them to thoroughly check the alternator.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:47   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Could be something simpler : Did you downshift? . If you were in too high a gear at 70 kph, and needed to suddenly accelerate, downshifting to a lower gear in the i20 is mandatory. That 1.2 L really has limited punch.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians ,
I faced a strange problem in my i20 (petrol) today.

Slowly I moved the car to the left most lane gradually downshifted to 2nd gear, continued for some time & then the car behaved normal. Although it was highway but the road was empty so it was not very scary but surely something to worry about.

I stopped to see if there was any white smoke but there wasn’t any.Engine temperature was also normal

Just before this happened I had put the blower speed to 3 since it was quite hot in late afternoon can this be a problem?
After some 30 mins while moving in traffic in 2nd gear I noticed the battery sign fluctuating just for a second. After this I travelled almost 80Kms but dint faced any problem

I would be visiting the service centre tomorrow but still would like to learn what could be the possible causes?

I read some similar threads for Swift & Vista but they were deisels,the one being questioned is petrol & only 3 months old ,1500 Kms driven
You can go the service station and get everything checked, but my sense is there is no real problem. I faced similar issue in my Ikon. The cause was bad fuel. Topped up at a known petrol pump, got the fuel tank cleaned up at the service station and the car was good to go. Didnt see the issue again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks