Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2016, 09:18   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How harmful is extra Engine Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Hi Guys, I have found that the engine oil level in my Punto 90Hp MJD is above the mark. Can you tell me if there is something to bother about? Thanks, Sai
I'd suggest you drain off the excess oil using a syringe via the dipstick. IF that's not possible take it to a mechanic and have him drain the oil from the sump. He needs to be careful not to drain too much. Carry extra oil with you just in case you need to top up - but only to the max line please.

A few mm below the Max limit is better than a few mm above. DO NOT overfill fluids. Those Max and Min indicators are there for a reason. Please follow them.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 20:20   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have found that the engine oil level in my Punto 90Hp MJD is above the mark. Can you tell me if there is something to bother about?

Thanks,
Sai
Please go through the thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highway-4.html). There is also a 90PS punto. There is a severe damage by excessive engine oil. Read post No. 6 and 60.
Old 12th January 2016, 20:57   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd suggest you drain off the excess oil using a syringe via the dipstick.
What kind of syringe that can be used in the dip-stick pipe ?
Old 12th January 2016, 21:24   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What kind of syringe that can be used in the dip-stick pipe ?

See the syringe depicted in Chetan Rao's post. You'll need to fit a tube to it so it reaches down into the sump. The easiest way is to drain it from the sump after removing the sump nut.
Old 13th January 2016, 07:16   #155
Senior - BHPian

The problem is the service staff people attitude that if the correct amount is good, a little extra will be even better - like vitamins. Some cars are more sensitive than others, but not exceeding max on the dip stick is always sensible and best checked after every oil change because getting the surplus removed is a lot simpler there, via the drain plug.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:07   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The problem is the service staff people attitude that if the correct amount is good, a little extra will be even better - like vitamins. Some cars are more sensitive than others, but not exceeding max on the dip stick is always sensible and best checked after every oil change because getting the surplus removed is a lot simpler there, via the drain plug.
Unfortunately my experience says these mechanics are either simply unaware of the potential damage extra engine oil can cause OR just don't care.

It's the owners responsibility to check before he/she takes delivery of the car from the service centre. Some A.S.Cs use automated nozzles calibrated to deliver the right volume of oil depending on the model. Have seen this in Toyota service bays.

My car uses 4.2 litres after an oil filter change, luckily the oil I use (Shell Helix Ultra synthetic) comes in 4 litre cans. I pour in the 200 ml once get the car back home. No question of overfilling. Ditto with the Fiat, it takes 3.8 litres, the Shell Helix HX7 can is 3.5 litres, leaving me the job of filling the 300 ml it takes for a full sump. At least this way I am sure there's no extra oil in the engine.

All that said, it's also important for the service tech to wait a few minutes for the oil to drain out fully, making sure the filler cap is always taken off. Otherwise you might inadvertently wind up with residual oil that increases the total volume of oil after they pour in the fresh stock. Best to check with the dipstick and then carefully pour in enough oil to make up for any deficit.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:46   #157
BANNED

I will take a more liberal approach. If the oil level is a couple of mm higher, forget it. However, if it is a cm higher then you should drain out the excess. Depending on the ambient the oil level can change by quite a bit. As it gets warmer the oil level will go up.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 11:26   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Please go through the thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highway-4.html). There is also a 90PS punto. There is a severe damage by excessive engine oil. Read post No. 6 and 60.
that was way too much, mine was < 1cm high than max level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will take a more liberal approach. If the oil level is a couple of mm higher, forget it. However, if it is a cm higher then you should drain out the excess. Depending on the ambient the oil level can change by quite a bit. As it gets warmer the oil level will go up.
You are right sir, i think it should be fine if the oil level is < 1cm high than max level. I have shown my car in show room they did multiple checks and said it's all fine.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:08   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd suggest you drain off the excess oil using a syringe via the dipstick. IF that's not possible take it to a mechanic and have him drain the oil from the sump. He needs to be careful not to drain too much. Carry extra oil with you just in case you need to top up - but only to the max line please.

A few mm below the Max limit is better than a few mm above. DO NOT overfill fluids. Those Max and Min indicators are there for a reason. Please follow them.

Quote:
You are right sir, i think it should be fine if the oil level is < 1cm high than max level. I have shown my car in show room they did multiple checks and said it's all fine.
I would like to second my opinion, no it's not okay to have engine oil more than the maximum limit.

My observation:

At the time of third service, my Punto MJD's engine oil was changed, from then I felt something unusual with the car's RPM gauge. On the cold start the RPM needle that previously used to settle at 800 RPM was behaving erratic. Please see the video.

I brought it to the notice of Aadya Fiat, they said, it's the same in all cars, I didn't get convinced. Second time when I visited service center, I complained about engine oil level, they said, it's fine! Again I wasn't convinced.

Last week I have been to Hyderabad & I had to park my car overnight on a street. When I did a cold start, rpm needle did not settle for 10 seconds. I thought there was a connection between the excessive engine oil & rpm needle jump. I have followed the instructions and got the Ryles Tube, removed 200 ml engine oil, at this point, the engine oil level was exactly there at the maximum mark of the dipstick.

I left it overnight & at the next cold start the RPM jump issue was gone! I don't know what could have happened to the car, if I did not correct this, but I am sure car did not like the excess engine oil & tried to tell me through rpm needle jump.

Hope it helps.

Sai
90Horses is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:52   #160
BHPian

Hi everyone

Thanks for the inputs.this indeed was an eye opener.

I had a query . I happen to get the engine oil of my brother in laws car which is a tata indica dle ,changed a week ago since then the vehicle has run approximately 75-85kms after the oil change, luckily no long drives.

However yesterday i happen yo check oil drops in the parking below thecar seems the drops of oil werr leaking.

Thr car in quesions is a Tata indica v2 diesel dle which is non turbo has an engine oil requirement as per owners manual of 4litres. The mechanic had put 5litres straight from the can of S litres without measuring, instead of 4 litres when i objected he says. The stupid mechabic put 5 litres saying ki 1litre oil filter mein rehta

Today when i went to him again to inform the leak he said sir aapka engine back compression marrra by removing the dip stick when engine was idling and i could see tiny droplets of oil coming out..said to get it washed and come back. I have decided to wait till weekend and not run it till then.stupid mechanic I feel why do these guys open the workshops as they work on guess always.

As far as performance the vehicle is still able to clock a top speed of 140kmph on an open stretch.. But now i am worried that even if i drain the engine oil will it be a problem.

The engine has already clocked 164700kms on the odo. I can hear a clinging sound when idling

Request urgent help from experts.
Sushil Narayanan
Old 20th September 2018, 16:23   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
The stupid mechabic put 5 litres saying ki 1litre oil filter mein rehta

Today when i went to him again to inform the leak he said sir aapka engine back compression marrra by removing the dip stick when engine was idling and i could see tiny droplets of oil coming out..said to get it washed and come back. I have decided to wait till weekend and not run it till then.stupid mechanic I feel why do these guys open the workshops as they work on guess always.
Every wondered why roadside mechanics provide their service at a low cost? Because most of begin their profession by training on the job **at the customer's expense**. They have no formal training and believe in hand-me-down knowledge. Some of course amass a lot of knowledge over the years. So if this guy is not up to the mark I'd suggest looking at other options. There are exceptions of course and you do find independent garages with excellent people..but that's an exception rather than a rule.

Check the owners manual for the capacity, it will be specified in litres with and without a filter change. Stick to it. Engines do not like extra oil and too much extra can be highly detrimental. Drain the extra oil if any via the dip stick vent (use a pump) or the sump drain nut. Easier still is to just take off the oil filter drain it and reinstall. If it is a drop in cartridge just use a new one.

Next time insist he fills only the required quantity.

I've seen a video on YT where a mechanic in Agra supposedly bleeds a Toyota Fortuner's ABS system by doing what is clearly a gravity bleed. The only way to bleed a modern ABS is to use an electronic tool to activate the ABS valves. But then there were kudos given to him in the comments section by people who don't know much and rely on half baked knowledge to guide them when their cars don't run well.

Quote:
The engine has already clocked 164700kms on the odo. I can hear a clinging sound when idling
Not sure if the clinging sound has anything to do with the extra oil.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th September 2018 at 16:25.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 22:21   #162
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting here :

Quote:
My Linea had an oil change today after 11k KM's (14 months).

I've repeated Castrol Edge 5W40 Synth & added Ceratec on recommendation by FNG. I've driven it barely 3kms. NVH has reduced & there seems to be a significant improvement in engine smoothness.

I'm concerned that now my engine has 3.5L viz 3.2L of Oil + 300ml of Ceratec. FNG said it won't make a serious difference & claimed to usually change 3.4L for MJD. I do NOT trust this guy on that.

Please suggest indications to watch out for.
Old 19th December 2018, 23:14   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Cross posting here :
That's about 10% excess oil there.

One solution is to have lesser oil filled in. 3 litre instead of 3.2. liters. But the ASS have that typical (stupid) argument that they will be audited and asked why they did not fill 3.2 litres as per Maruti instructions.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 23:42   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That's about 10% excess oil there.

One solution is to have lesser oil filled in. 3 litre instead of 3.2. liters. But the ASS have that typical (stupid) argument that they will be audited and asked why they did not fill 3.2 litres as per Maruti instructions.
Just bought a Ryles tube & removed 300ml oil thru the dip stick.

I can actually sleep now. My brother tells me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I often over fill when I do oil changes on my car and motorcycle. For peace of mind, I have a 5mm diameter soft transparent pipe. Transparent pipe, because I have no interest in drinking any engine oil (fresh or not). I suck the oil out till it drops below the height of the oil compartment, and then let it bleed into another transparent beaker, where I can measure how much oil has been removed.
Don't even need to inhale those toxic fumes by starting a siphone flow.

Just get a set of Ryles Tube + Syringe, easily available at any medical shop.
PS : Make sure you or the mechanic doesn't try it when the engine is hot.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 20th December 2018 at 00:09.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 23:49   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I have found that the engine oil level in my Punto 90Hp MJD is above the mark. Can you tell me if there is something to bother about?
I often over fill when I do oil changes on my car and motorcycle. For peace of mind, I have a 5mm diameter soft transparent pipe. Transparent pipe, because I have no interest in drinking any engine oil (fresh or not). I suck the oil out till it drops below the height of the oil compartment, and then let it bleed into another transparent beaker, where I can measure how much oil has been removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks