Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It says BG.110 engine oil additive in the service invoice. Cost Rs 427.00. I asked the service adviser if they had any good additive and can it be added to a car on first 1000 KM service, and he said no problem!
Dont waste your money. Good quality mineral or even synth oil has all the additives your engine needs. Just remember to change it at regular intervals preferably using the 'severe service' schedule if you do most of the driving in city.

As for the technician not remembering to reduce the quantity of oil to compensate for the additive, that makes me hate him even more. What a dork!

Rgds,
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:22   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both of them (ABT as well as MSM) use MGO 20W/40 supplied by IOC. Meanwhile since the oil level was about 2mm short after the draining, I topped up exactly to the upper mark this evening with the MGO 20W/40 I bought from Shell. Now I find from the IOC website that their MGO spec is 20W/40 - API/sc-cc, while the MGO from Shell is 20W/40 - API sf/cc. Do you guys think this could be an issue? If it is, I don't mind changing the oil during second service or even immediately.

If it has to be immediate, why not Castrol GTX or Shell Helix mineral oil? Can it affect warranty even if I get it done at MASS?
SF is better than SC and incidentally both are outdated. Both are like pre historic and date back to the late 80s/early 90s!

The latest is SM and some oils are SL or even SJ in reverse chronological order from the time they were introduced.

If you need to replace the oil go in for Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 or Shell Helix Super (15W-40). Magnatec is semi synth API SM and Helix Super is mineral API SL

Rgds,
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:26   #48
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it has to be immediate, why not Castrol GTX or Shell Helix mineral oil? Can it affect warranty even if I get it done at MASS?
Gansan,

Your warranty will not be affected if you use either of these oils. Oil level being 2 mm below the required mark will not harm your engine in anyway. Remember, as you rack up the miles after an oil change, you are bound to loose a little bit of oil.

So long as the level is in between the upper and lower mark (usually it is just at the half mark), you have nothing to worry about.

At the next service, just be aware to ensure that the the quantity of oil sacrificed for the additive is accurate and you won't face any such problems. I wonder why the mechanics missed out on such critical details.

You can switch from regular mineral oil to semi-synth or fully synthetic oils after you cross 10,000 kms and not at such an initial stage.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 3rd August 2009 at 20:30. Reason: More info added
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan,

Your warranty will not be affected if you use either of these oils.
So long as the level is in between the upper and lower mark (usually it is just at the half mark), you have nothing to worry about.

At the next service, just be aware to ensure that the the quantity of oil sacrificed for the additive is accurate and you won't face any such problems.
gpa
Right. Does that mean I can wait till the next service? Or shall I talk to the service in-charge at MASS tomorrow and go by what he says? Most probably he is going to say it is not an issue. Any suggestions from the experts in the forum?

I am not planning for synth/semi-synth at this stage.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd August 2009 at 21:22.
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Gansan, you're being a bit too paranoid about this. At the level of a 20W40, it will mix with almost anything. You've done better with sticking to the same grade,rating and brand.
Chill!
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Noted another important thing. In the owners' manual (pages 9-2 & 9-7) it is clearly mentioned that the grade of oil should be API SF,SG or SH. But Maruti themselves are supplying SC grade from IOC as MGO through MASS.

gpa, I am sure Shell Helix and Mobil oils will fall above SH. Will there not be any compatibility issues?
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

@nitrous.

Thanks. I was worried as I had mixed SC and SF grades, though both are MGO and 20W/40.
Old 3rd August 2009, 23:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

I doubt SC is blended anymore. I would be surprised if it is and would be shocked if Maruti is using it.
Old 4th August 2009, 00:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
About 3 months back my car (M1000) was serviced and engine oil was changed. Mechanic drained old oil completely and poured 3.5L (castrol gtx which come in 3.5 L container). After reading this thread I checked the oil level this morning it to my surprize its about 0.5 inch above the max mark! I don't know exactly but ground looks levelled and not inclined to any side. What should I do? drain the excess oil or let it be like that?
Its likely this happened because you drained the oil when it was cold. Remember to always drain oil when its hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

Not quite. I mean, while nothing catastrophic will happen except under extreme circumstances, keeping the oil topped up till the max mark is the optimum thing to do, for reasons more than one.

And really Gansan, why are you even using the MGO oil esp. when its of such a low grade? There are much better options - Valvoline, Total, Petronas, Mobil, Shell (no need to buy the MGO!), etc.
Old 4th August 2009, 06:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
And really Gansan, why are you even using the MGO oil esp. when its of such a low grade? There are much better options - Valvoline, Total, Petronas, Mobil, Shell (no need to buy the MGO!), etc.
Well, I thought I will go with MGO during the first year. Also I did not expect such low grades from MGO and learned of it only last evening.

@nitrous:
Have a look at this.
Indian Oil Corporation :: Automotive Lubricating Oils

I thought the website was not updated and checked their Servo 20W/40 in a petrol bunk (MGO was not available,but the guy said both are same) and it clearly mentions SC/CC.

Whereas the MGO from both BP and Shell are classified as API SF/CC.
MGO 20W - 40 (MARUTI GENUINE OIL)

Last edited by Gansan : 4th August 2009 at 06:38.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:32   #56
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure Shell Helix and Mobil oils will fall above SH. Will there not be any compatibility issues?
Mobil 1 is API SM is a newer classification/grading system and there will not be any compatibility issues with using the oil.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Can we say a higher classification can safely be used in an engine that requires a lower one (SL Vs SG)?
Old 4th August 2009, 11:48   #58
BHPian

As per my machanic, a little less oil will not do much harm, but excess will.

I don't know what the logic is, but this is what he told me, never to put in excess oil.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:16   #59
BANNED

Folks. Are we not harping on something non-existent. API-SF-CC stands for SF for petrol and CC for diesel! API-SF-CC is NOT SC!

Our sarkari dinosaurs are busy marketing oils which are now declared obsolete by API. I heard that some Hyundai A$$s use Servo while the manual calls for SG!

See the ads by BPL that now they are API-SG!. The current API grades are SJ (obsolescent), SL and SM.

As for overfilling while dire things can occur - remember short sticking was very common in the US. The would show you that the oil was low by not pushing the dipstick fully in and then sell you a pint or so of oil. So in my view a slight overfill, even though wasteful may not make heavens fall.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
API-SF-CC stands for SF for petrol and CC for diesel! API-SF-CC is NOT SC!
Sir,
The MGO from IOC is API SC/CC, while those from BP and Shell are API SF/CC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks