Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 13:21   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Its likely this happened because you drained the oil when it was cold. Remember to always drain oil when its hot.
Yes you are right. I remeber he changed oil at the end of service which took quite long and till then engine must have become cold. So today I drained excess oil till the oil reached max level in stick. There was about a litre of excess oil. What shocked me more is the color of oil, its black Just 3 months of running can make it so black? My daily running is only about 10km. Something is definately wrong here.

How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-oil.jpg
Old 4th August 2009, 13:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Not necessarily. Read this.
Shell in India - Frequently Asked Questions
Old 4th August 2009, 13:51   #63
BHPian

hashim, most oils will be black after even small amount of usage.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
What shocked me more is the color of oil, its black Just 3 months of running can make it so black? My daily running is only about 10km. Something is definately wrong here.

Attachment 169788

I dont think you should judge oil by the colour of it. The fact that it is black could also mean that it is doing a good job at suspending soot in your engine. Sometimes you may find oil is black even after just 100km of driving after oil change.

You should perform a Used Oil Analysis to determine how much life is left in your oil.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are right. I remeber he changed oil at the end of service which took quite long and till then engine must have become cold. So today I drained excess oil till the oil reached max level in stick. There was about a litre of excess oil. What shocked me more is the color of oil, its black Just 3 months of running can make it so black? My daily running is only about 10km. Something is definately wrong here.

Attachment 169788
As already mentioned, colour is not a reliable indicator of any problem. On the other hand its not impossible that you have a problem. There could be a leak somewhere that is contaminating the oil. Oil analysis is the only way you can be sure.

Meanwhile, keep a v close watch on the oil level.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:06   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Sir,
The MGO from IOC is API SC/CC, while those from BP and Shell are API SF/CC.
Mein Gott! Even dinosaurs will be astounded. I remember the SD/SE/SF debate as a student in the UK in the mid 70's. I find it difficult to believe that SC is still being made and marketed. Some time ago I saw Servo (not MGO) with an IOC dealer, and it was SF.

So may we believe that Maruti is happy with API-SC in their cars, or the MGO is just a sales gimmick without their approval.

Many years ago I had a look at the Shell Range. The MGO was one grade lower than the best mineral oil (I think yellow can), but priced the same as the superior oil!. Ultra was not available with the BP dealer.

I may also add that the 10000 (miles/km) rating only came in with SF.

Last edited by sgiitk : 4th August 2009 at 16:21.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Mein Gott! Even dinosaurs will be astounded. I remember the SD/SE/SF debate as a student in the UK in the mid 70's. I find it difficult to believe that SC is still being made and marketed. Some time ago I saw Servo (not MGO) with an IOC dealer, and it was SF.

So may we believe that Maruti is happy with API-SC in their cars, or the MGO is just a sales gimmick without their approval.

Many years ago I had a look at the Shell Range. The MGO was one grade lower than the best mineral oil (yellow or red can), but priced the same as the superior oil!. Ultra was not available with the BP dealer.

I may also add that the 10000 (miles/km) rating only came in with SF.
I checked their Servo 20W/40 can in a petrol bunk yesterday. It states API SC/CC only.

My bother is the dealer originally filled MGO(IOC) 20W/40 which is SC grade, while I topped up using MGO (Shell) 20W/40 which is SF. I am concerned whether this will cause any issues. Can you kindly throw some light on this?
Old 4th August 2009, 16:22   #68
BANNED

@Gansan: No it will not both are 20W40 mineral. Treat the mixed oil as SC. Also, foresake anything below SJ in future.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Gansan: No it will not both are 20W40 mineral. Treat the mixed oil as SC. Also, foresake anything below SJ in future.
Thank you very much!
Old 4th August 2009, 19:45   #70
BHPian

One more problem, I just checked that empty castrol container (which i kept in diggi for water) and it was not 3.5L but 3L. Someone posted M1000 tech. details which stated it needs 3.5L. So my question is when only 3L was filled, how can oil be so much above max level when already less oil (500ml less) was filled. Can dipstick show wrong reading even when checked in morning and car on levelled surface?
Old 4th August 2009, 20:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about 1000 but IIRC Esteem needs 2.3 litres. If you have drained the oil when it was hot, just try one thing - next time you check the oil, check it after running the engine for 5 mins. Let us know what level you find it at.
Old 4th August 2009, 21:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

@Raccoon
I am surprised that Esteem oil capacity is only 2.3 litres. Because the capacity for Alto LXi is 2.7 litres and Alto VXi 3.7 litres.

@Hashim
The only explanation I can think of is that the oil was not drained fully before filling. Did you watch when the oil was changed? Check your owner's manual to find out the capacity of M 1000.
Old 4th August 2009, 23:25   #73
BHPian

Yes I watched the oil change process, old oil was drained and oil filter was also changed. I don't have manual but requested maruti tech support for engine oil quantity information, lets see if I get reply from them. Why don't car manufacture's engrave engine oil quantity info on engine like we see on bike engines.
Old 5th August 2009, 00:01   #74
Senior - BHPian

^^^One other possibility is your car was on an incline due to a not so well aligned ramp.

@Gansan, Esteem's capacity is 3.3 litres. Sorry for the typo.
Old 5th August 2009, 06:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I watched the oil change process, old oil was drained and oil filter was also changed. I don't have manual but requested maruti tech support for engine oil quantity information, lets see if I get reply from them. Why don't car manufacture's engrave engine oil quantity info on engine like we see on bike engines.
Else find out the capacity of the old Zen. I think both must be having the same engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks