Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 19:00   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: How harmful is extra Engine Oil?

A similar thing happened with my bike. The recommended quantity for engine oil is 900 ml. The mechanic filled 1L. In high revs there was a tak-tak noise from the engine. I changed the oil again after 700kms with 900 ml this time. The noise has disappeared a lot now.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:44   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I would suggest you drain the extra oil from the sump. Make sure you remove just enough to get the level back the the max line on the dipstick.
Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
As you have to remove about 400 ml oil its easier to do it by inserting a thin plastic tube down the dip stick chute and sucking out the excess oil through a veterinary syringe. You may have to do it more than once to get out 400ml. The other way is to suck the tube taking care oil does not get in your mouth.
Quoting from a very old post but was stuck with extra oil inadvertently filled when I tool my Dzire for service. here is a pic of the excess oil on dipstick min max and actual level is shown by lines.
How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-p1030538.jpg
I bought a Ryles tube from a chemist along with a 20 ml syringe. (Incedentally, Ryles tube is for passing into a persons stomach to put in or pull out stuff)How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-p1030539.jpg

Cut of 4-5 " from end of the ryles tube as it has 3/4 perforations on the side wall. So now I have a tube of about 4-5 mm thick and a bit longer than my dipstick. How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-p1030540.jpg
Slide the ryles tube into the dipstick tube, fix the syringe at the other end and pull the syringe plunger. Here I have shown the oil just about to enter the syringe. How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-p1030541.jpg
Finally took out about 250 -300 ml. Careful in handling as the oil is very messy if it falls. PS I had a person helping me hold the soda bottle.How harmful is extra Engine Oil?-p1030543.jpg
goandude is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:21   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I bought a Ryles tube from a chemist along with a 20 ml syringe. (Incedentally, Ryles tube is for passing into a persons stomach to put in or pull out stuff)
By Jove mate, you've discovered a great solution to an issue that many car owners face. Thanks very much!
Old 24th May 2013, 10:08   #124
BANNED

While on this topic of extra oil in engines, how bad or good is extra oil in gear box.
As per Zen service manual the gear box contains 2.4 ltrs of oil.
But my mechanic suggested to put in a "little" more to help lubricate the reverse idler gear which is located on higher side in the gear box and it does get oil starved sometimes.
Can the gurus please enlighten?
Old 30th July 2013, 19:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Ryles tube from a chemist along with a 20 ml syringe. (Incidentally, Ryles tube is for passing into a persons stomach to put in or pull out stuff)
Dear Goandude,
To drain out the excess oil from my engine I tried to purchase this Ryles tube from my neighbourhood medicine shop today but failed to source it. Where did you get it? Shall I try a bigger shop instead?
Regards,
Rahul,
Calcutta
Old 1st August 2013, 11:00   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Dear Goandude,
To drain out the excess oil from my engine I tried to purchase this Ryles tube from my neighbourhood medicine shop today but failed to source it. Where did you get it? Shall I try a bigger shop instead?
Regards,
Rahul,
Calcutta
Got it from a local chemist, but it was ordered by someone else who didn't pick it up. You should be able to order it or try a bigger shop near to a hospital preferable.
And let us know how it worked
Old 1st August 2013, 16:39   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got it from a local chemist, but it was ordered by someone else who didn't pick it up. You should be able to order it or try a bigger shop near to a hospital preferable.
And let us know how it worked

So the Ryle's tube will fit into the 20ml syringe opening perfectly? Do you have to seal it with some glue?
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
So the Ryle's tube will fit into the 20ml syringe opening perfectly? Do you have to seal it with some glue?
It fits perfectly, in fact a syringe is used to pull out or put in stuff into the human stomach with Ryle's tube.
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:01   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Would you guys believe me if I tell that I had a full 1.5 ltrs. of extra engine oil in my Zen for about 400-500 kms?

Later, the entire engine oil was drained out from the draining nut and the right quantity of 3.5 ltrs was poured back in after measuring by a beaker.
Old 6th August 2013, 07:09   #130
BHPian

Hi Folks,

During my 3rd free service a couple of months back for my Alto K10 Vxi, the SA at the MASS convinced me to put the entire contents of a 3 Litre Shell Helix 5W30 can (that I carried) into the engine even though the oil spec is 2.9 l as per the manual. He gave me some explanation about how 2.9 is without the oil filter and how if its a 'bigger' filter than more than 3 l is required I asked him again and again and he had this smug 'I do this for a living ' smirk pasted across his face.

Anyways, thanks heavens they didnt have any Shell oil available at the MASS and with my reluctance, only the 3 l contents of the can was used. I dont know whether that was the right thing to do - putting an extra 100 ml into the engine. I have driven another 2000 odd kms after the oil change and havent found anything amiss. The oil level on the dipstick (measured first thing in the morning on a cold engine on level ground) is just a shade above the upper perforation on the dipstick which I think is the max.

Should I be worried? Should I perform the surgery Goandude has suggested with the syringe? In case I decide to drain a wee bit of the oil by removing the drain plug, any thing to be replaced while reinstalling the plug? (like changing the gasket etc)

Please suggest

Last edited by hothatchaway : 6th August 2013 at 07:22.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have been regularly filling three litres of engine oil in my Alto for the past four years, With a filter change. It always shows a little over the upper mark when checked. Nothing has happened. So forget it!
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

Most car manuals specify two numbers for engine oil quantity - one for with filter change and one for without.
But I agree that for most cars, a shade over the dipstick max level isn't an issue.
A solution for the next time you carry your oil is to empty out the extra quantity before handing the can over. You don't have to be exact here, if the resultant is below the max mark to a significant extent, you can always pour some back in later at home.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:37   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Most car manuals specify two numbers for engine oil quantity - one for with filter change and one for without.
But I agree that for most cars, a shade over the dipstick max level isn't an issue.
A solution for the next time you carry your oil is to empty out the extra quantity before handing the can over. You don't have to be exact here, if the resultant is below the max mark to a significant extent, you can always pour some back in later at home.
But usually every time oil is changed its recommended and usually followed that the oil filter be changed. The oil filter is a very critical component and consequence Will be severe if it fails.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:52   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
But usually every time oil is changed its recommended and usually followed that the oil filter be changed. The oil filter is a very critical component and consequence Will be severe if it fails.
Sure - I just pointed this out not knowing the car, and not knowing for which case the 2.9L is specified in the manual. Usually it is a 10% difference. So if 2.9 is without filter as the SA is supposed to have said, the filter change quantity should be around 3.2.
In which case, if the filter has been changed, it is surprising for the oil level to be above max with a 3L oil can. Either they added some more of their own, or they didn't fully drain out the old oil.
All this is speculation, until we know what the manual says.
Old 6th August 2013, 18:03   #135
Senior - BHPian

100-200ML over the actual quantity never hurts.
Have noticed it across various vehicles i have owned in the past few years.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed