Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 19:15   #1
BHPian

car ac compressor and condenser problem

Hi friends

I own OHC the problem is that the compressor and condenser fan is not turning on when i press the ac switch . The radiator fan turns on when i press the switch but compressor and condenser fan does not. I have checked fuses and relay they are ok. Even the fan and compressor turn on when connected to battery but they are not turning on through the switch.What could be the problem?Could this be an ECM related problem?

Thanx
Harry
Old 24th February 2010, 20:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
Hi friends

I own OHC the problem is that the compressor and condenser fan is not turning on when i press the ac switch . The radiator fan turns on when i press the switch but compressor and condenser fan does not. I have checked fuses and relay they are ok. Even the fan and compressor turn on when connected to battery but they are not turning on through the switch.What could be the problem?Could this be an ECM related problem?

Thanx
Harry
Please check continuity of wires from the relay(s) to the condenser fan and the compressor.I have known cases where the wires had snapped because of attrition with the belts.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Clean the couplers supplying power to the condenser and compressor.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Clean the coupler first, then check if the wires are aok.
Old 26th February 2010, 02:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a wiring problem. Get the wiring from the relay to the condenser and the compressor checked. The problem should sort out.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:13   #6
BHPian

Thanks friends for your help. The problem is finally solved . Did a small DIY and found that two wires were damaged due to carbon deposit so the current not passing through them. So cut those wires and put new wires and the AC is working now.

Thanx
Harry
Old 26th February 2010, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's great news. Cheers!
Old 26th February 2010, 19:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
Thanks friends for your help. The problem is finally solved . Did a small DIY and found that two wires were damaged due to carbon deposit so the current not passing through them. So cut those wires and put new wires and the AC is working now.

Thanx
Harry
he he he he ; that was too small a problem.
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:56   #9
BHPian

Re: car ac compressor and condenser problem

Bumping up a really old thread!
My Etios VD recently completed 1 lakh kms. I was thinking of going in for the servicing when suddenly the AC stopped working. The car was used the whole day by me, AC always on. Came home, ignition off, AC off, car locked. Next morning, turned the ignition on and reversed the car and then switched on the AC. Bugger just would not cool! Also, realised that the compressor would not turn on. Had given the car for servicing and resolving this problem to DSK Toyota Pune yesterday. The service advisor told me today, that some plate was rubbing against the condensor, which led to the condensor to leak. This caused the gas and the oil from the compressor to leak which has resulted in wear and tear on the inside of the compressor. The burr from this wear and tear has gone into the whole AC system and for this, the whole AC system with the compressor, condensor etc has to be replaced. Cost approximately Rs. 95,000/-
Can this even happen? There has been no big frontal impact anytime. There were two impacts on the front right and left corners 6months to 12 months prior, but were very low speed impacts. 1st- hit a rock while turning from standstill (speed- less than 5km/h). 2nd- hit a two wheeler starting from standstill at a signal as he fell fell down because of another 2 wheeler jumping the signal and hitting him (speed- less than 5km/h).
Also, need recommendations of any AC repair shop/guys in Pune city.
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:09   #10
BHPian

Re: car ac compressor and condenser problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Bumping up a really old thread!
My Etios VD recently completed 1 lakh kms. I was thinking of going in for the servicing when suddenly the AC stopped working. The car was used the whole day by me, AC always on. Came home, ignition off, AC off, car locked. Next morning, turned the ignition on and reversed the car and then switched on the AC. Bugger just would not cool! Also, realised that the compressor would not turn on. Had given the car for servicing and resolving this problem to DSK Toyota Pune yesterday. The service advisor told me today, that some plate was rubbing against the condensor, which led to the condensor to leak. This caused the gas and the oil from the compressor to leak which has resulted in wear and tear on the inside of the compressor. The burr from this wear and tear has gone into the whole AC system and for this, the whole AC system with the compressor, condensor etc has to be replaced. Cost approximately Rs. 95,000/-
Can this even happen? There has been no big frontal impact anytime.
The compressor can't run dry after the gas leaks out. There is a pressure switch which prevents the compressor from running when the system is low on pressure (or refrigerant gas).
Just get the condenser replaced, entire system flushed and then refill the refrigerant gas.
Also- I am not sure whether the Etios uses a separate receiver dryer bottle or not (most of the cars now have it integrated in the condenser itself). If it is a separate unit then get it replaced too.
Approximate estimate - Rs.5k max for condenser, Rs.2k for gas re-filling and flushing.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks