Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 16:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Nice suggestion.

Kindly also check at what RPM does this happen.

I feel the clutch pedal in ANHC is narrow, my inner side of the left foot is sore after a city stunt also due to this a friend always has tough time releasing the clutch, othewise I find the clutch action smooth.

Sorry to go OT: One thing I wanted to know was at what RPM do you guys change gears. I am finding it hard to settle the gear shift pattern. I drive an Indica, an Accent and also ANHC alternatively and its tough to change gears in city traffic. Thanks!
Old 10th August 2010, 17:34   #17
BHPian

I do agree with a few points here, my anhc is just 4 months old and has odo reads 3200.
I have been driving various cars since year 1994 and a major of them in Europe.
But i too have been getting the feeling that the clutch is a little deep for my comfort.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:40   #18
BHPian

Thanks GTO and MileCruncher. I will take it up with the dealership and Honda. Will let you know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nayyar, the symptoms you speak of indicate a flywheel (most likely) or clutch pressure plate gone bad. I suggest you take it up with your dealer and get the said components changed under warranty. There should NOT be any shudder when driving off from a standstill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@bhaani &nayyar : Looks like a classic case of ASC trying to fob off customers under some pretext or other. I can bet you that the moment the vehicle is out of warranty, its these mechanics only who will suggest clutch change.

As GTO posted, get the entire clutch assembly changed ASAP under warranty.

P.S: The spongy affect sometimes is also caused in monsoon as the DOT-3/4 fluids are hygroscopic in nature and absorb a lot of moisture.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:29   #19
BHPian

When I had taken my car for servicing I was asked by the service guy if my car was having jerking problems when I do engage the clutch in first gear, so I guess this could be a general problem
I did have it at that time but never paid much attention to it prior to when the service fellow asked me
Now everytime the car goes for service I do mention the problem to them and they get the bleeding done, it does help for some days but then it is back to normal but in my car it is very normal

could this problem also lead to my car average dropping, before the first service the average was 10.5 to 11.5 kmpl, after servicing it was arnd 10kmpl, second service and then third service started dropping more and more. Now 3 services done and car is giving average of between 7.5 to 8.5kmpl, could this clutch issue or Flywheel issue be causing the problem?
Old 13th August 2010, 23:21   #20
BHPian

Tejesh; I have spoken to Honda a couple of times this week and they say they would get it checked asap. If you bring it up at your end, it would open their senses too as this problem being reported from various sources. You could call up Honda one to one and register a complaint or there is a way to register a complaint at their website too. I have kind of gone crazy and have been driving other iVTECs my friends own and have found the same kind of vibrations in all of them. Strangely my friends did not catch it. I still dont believe that it could be a characteristic or the car or probably i have a very sensitive foot.I guess we should not leave it here and should be persistant. I too observed that the car behaves pretty well after a few days of bleeding and then the vibrations return (could be bad quality of the clutch fluid too and that is is a bit too hygroscopic). I did not have any other problem with the car, i get a very good FE. I dont think it is a flywheel or a clutch seating issue but the clutch hydraulics. I have driven the car for almost 9k kms and if it were the flywheel or the cover assy or the clutch seating, it would have racked my throwout mechanism and i should have felt the vibrations increase. I should have also felt a decrease in traction which i dont observe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
When I had taken my car for servicing I was asked by the service guy if my car was having jerking problems when I do engage the clutch in first gear, so I guess this could be a general problem
I did have it at that time but never paid much attention to it prior to when the service fellow asked me
Now everytime the car goes for service I do mention the problem to them and they get the bleeding done, it does help for some days but then it is back to normal but in my car it is very normal

could this problem also lead to my car average dropping, before the first service the average was 10.5 to 11.5 kmpl, after servicing it was arnd 10kmpl, second service and then third service started dropping more and more. Now 3 services done and car is giving average of between 7.5 to 8.5kmpl, could this clutch issue or Flywheel issue be causing the problem?
Old 13th August 2010, 23:26   #21
BHPian

The thak from the clutch would go if you get the pedal and associated mechanism greased. I got it done and it is gone. Looks like the kat kat that we get early morning can be brought down by properly lubricating the front caliper pins (over filling filling the boot with grease for smoother movement) and greasing the brake mechanism of the rear drums. One thing that i really would have wished is for the rears to be discs too. They have it on the ZX so what prevented them from having it on an 118 bhp monster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaani View Post
My car too is bought in Mar 2009 and has done 20,000kms to date.
1. Also observed the same 'thak' sound when clutch is released, found it more prominent when clutch is required to be depressed frequently in stop and go traffic. When reported to service during last service a week back, they said there is no issue.

2. On the brake noise, the 'kat kat' sound is head after moving the car from stationery position esp in the mornings.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:48   #22
BHPian

Re: ANHC Clutch

I realize I'm reviving an old thread but I'm facing an slight issue with my Honda City iVtec with 32000 kms on the road and this seemed the most apt thread.

I ocassionally feel the shift from 3rd to 2nd to be a little hard to execute. This wasnt the case earlier. Also, the clutch pedal seems to be harder than earlier. I spoke about this to my SA during service and after they had a trial run, he said that clutch bleeding may be needed and if they find the flywheel has issues that would need to be replaced.

My question is - about 2/3rd of the distance covered by my car has been on the Mumbai Pune Eway. Can 10000 KMs of bumper to bumper traffic (read hinjewadi traffic) cause significant damage to the clutch as to warrant a clutch bleed and a possible flywheel replacement? I know for a fact that I do not ride the clutch.

My next question is around the cost in case i opt to get the issue rectified. The SA quoted 12000 for Clutch bleeding and 10000 for flywheel replacement. Does this sound reasonable?
Old 19th August 2013, 12:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
My next question is around the cost in case i opt to get the issue rectified. The SA quoted 12000 for Clutch bleeding and 10000 for flywheel replacement. Does this sound reasonable?
12000 for clutch bleeding??? Thats like Rolls Royce service costs, 500 to 600 is normal for clutch fluid bleeding and that's including the fluid. I'm not sure about the flywheel cost, sorry.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 16:13   #24
BHPian

I have the 2012 model, but I don't hear the sound from the clutch rather I can feel it vibrate on bumper-bumper traffic. Say half clutch. Is this normal?
Old 21st August 2013, 19:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I have the 2012 model, but I don't hear the sound from the clutch rather I can feel it vibrate on bumper-bumper traffic. Say half clutch. Is this normal?
Haven't experienced this myself but heard from several people so guess its a common complaint. In my case the clutch pedals gone real hard and shifting seems a little clunky
Old 25th August 2013, 22:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
I realize I'm reviving an old thread but I'm facing an slight issue with my Honda City iVtec with 32000 kms on the road and this seemed the most apt thread.

I ocassionally feel the shift from 3rd to 2nd to be a little hard to execute. This wasnt the case earlier. Also, the clutch pedal seems to be harder than earlier. I spoke about this to my SA during service and after they had a trial run, he said that clutch bleeding may be needed and if they find the flywheel has issues that would need to be replaced.

My question is - about 2/3rd of the distance covered by my car has been on the Mumbai Pune Eway. Can 10000 KMs of bumper to bumper traffic (read hinjewadi traffic) cause significant damage to the clutch as to warrant a clutch bleed and a possible flywheel replacement? I know for a fact that I do not ride the clutch.

You can get the clutch bleeding for Rs 200 at any Honda Service Center. In my opinion it should be sufficient for the problem you are facing. The clutch would ease out quite a bit. I think you have not over run your clutch, so there wont be a chance of flywheel damage. I assure you that Honda would pursuade you enough to replace your clutch assembly before its life is over. So IMHO do not worry about flywheel. Some authorized guys would want to bill you more so that their "cut" from the invoice is more. So please get second opinion for sure before you indulge into such big expenses. By the way if you are getting a decent enough mileage (over 11/12 in the city) do not worry. Your clutch is transferring power pretty well. Also check if your car trembles or shudders starting from dead stop. If is doesnt. please sleep easy and enjoy your ride after the bleeding. This could also be a typical monsoon issue since the clutch fluid is hygroscopic and adsorbs water. Check if the nozzle covers are installed and have not fallen off. Hope it helps.
nayyar.rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 09:38   #27
BHPian

Thanks for a detailed answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayyar.rao View Post
You can get the clutch bleeding for Rs 200 at any Honda Service Center. In my opinion it should be sufficient for the problem you are facing. The clutch would ease out quite a bit. I think you have not over run your clutch, so there wont be a chance of flywheel damage.
I didnt think the situation was bad enough to warrant spending a huge amount. Its just a hard clutch and ocassional trouble shifting gears (3rd to 2nd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayyar.rao View Post
I assure you that Honda would pursuade you enough to replace your clutch assembly before its life is over. So IMHO do not worry about flywheel. Some authorized guys would want to bill you more so that their "cut" from the invoice is more. So please get second opinion for sure before you indulge into such big expenses....

...Also check if your car trembles or shudders starting from dead stop. If is doesnt. please sleep easy and enjoy your ride after the bleeding. This could also be a typical monsoon issue since the clutch fluid is hygroscopic and adsorbs water. Check if the nozzle covers are installed and have not fallen off. Hope it helps.
Just curious - I understand that stiffness in the clutch suggests that clutch bleeding is required. Would you know what the symptoms for Flywheel damage are? Is it the shuddering you talk of? I do experience shudder when moving the car from stand still in 2nd gear.

By the way if you are getting a decent enough mileage (over 11/12 in the city) do not worry. Your clutch is transferring power pretty well. [/quote]

Currently on 13.7 kmpl with AC for a city + highway combination, so i guess thats covered!

Last edited by vinod332002 : 26th August 2013 at 09:40.
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:42   #28
BHPian

[quote=vinod332002;3218295]Thanks for a detailed answer.

Just curious - I understand that stiffness in the clutch suggests that clutch bleeding is required. Would you know what the symptoms for Flywheel damage are? Is it the shuddering you talk of? I do experience shudder when moving the car from stand still in 2nd gear.

[quote=vinod332002;3218295]

A flywheel damage would result in shuddering at low speeds epecially when you start off from standstill and also when you lower speeds to disengage (if it is abused and abrased). The gear shift would be jittery. It would be difficult to drive the car for sure. Your mileage would drop and the clutch pedal would be quite hard along with a curtailed clutch pedal travel.
I think it is not advisable to start from standstill in the second gear. It doesnt give you the required torque due to the gear ratios and strains the transmission and powertrain. To make it work you rev more which can induce slip or shuddering in your clutch. If you experience similar shuddering in the first gear then there is an issue else, i feel the transmission is being taxed. Beyond this 2 cents of mine would leave it to the experts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks