Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Getz CRDi Turbo gone bust????

Hi,

Today on the way to work, when I was pretty close to my office at Sarjapur, Bangalore, I felt that the car has suddenly lost power and no matter what gear I was on, the car just would'nt accelerate. I stopped the car, disconnected the Pete's Tune Box and checked but still the same problem persisted. I had some important meetings to attend so unable to take the car to the Advaith Service station immediately, but I am booked for a 2 pm checkup by my service adviser at Advaith Hyundai on Outer Ring Road at 2 PM. I have a feeling that my Turbo has gone bust . I am clueless and am unable to concentrate on the meeting I am in.

Any suggestions, checks that I have to do to see if things go back to normal before I head out to Advaith??? .

I have removed the Pete's box and the car is back to its stock state, how much will it cost for a new one i.e if it conked off, or can it be repaired?.

I take due care of to ensure I stay in idle for atleast a minute everytime I start the car and before turning the ignition off for the last 1.5 years that I am owning this mean machine. I know the car is still within the warranty period of 2 years, but all my 3 free services are done and I am due for my second paid service in the coming week.

Look forward to hear from the experts on this forum, Please HELP!!!!!
Old 26th February 2010, 11:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Strange problem BUT not unheard of. Could be an ECU problem / Faulty Fuel also cannot be outruled. I am not a technical person BUT the same problems have occured with a friend's Octavia a few months back and the main reason was Bad Fuel.

Pete's Box - I am not sure of this as I do not how this thing works !

Idling - that is fine, Even if you do not does not matter. I have never bothered in the last 18 months I have owned my verna.

Wait for a few hours and I am sure there will be plenty of answers to your querry.

KPZen - Prajesh should be able to help you out or suggest something as he owns a 2008 Getz CRDi with a Pete's.

Even if there is something wrong with the car - a good thing is your warranty still remains.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

May be a dislodged pipe. Any smoke, leaks?
Old 26th February 2010, 11:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
May be a dislodged pipe. Any smoke, leaks?
Checked for excess smoke, leaks, could'nt find any :(
Old 26th February 2010, 12:07   #5
BHPian

Do not disclose your car had the tuning box (and make sure you remove all traces) before you visit the service center.

If indeed something has gone bust and needs a replacement under warranty - your car pretty much needs to be in stock condition.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Do not disclose your car had the tuning box (and make sure you remove all traces) before you visit the service center.

If indeed something has gone bust and needs a replacement under warranty - your car pretty much needs to be in stock condition.
Yep I have already done that, thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 15:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Again seems like a common problem like the diesel swift. Have you been pulling the car above 60kmph in the first 3 gears ? When was the last time the car was serviced? I think your turbo has just got clogged and changing the Air cleaner element ( Air filter) would also help in pickup. Do post a report of what happened today and not change the turbo at the moment.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Again seems like a common problem like the diesel swift. Have you been pulling the car above 60kmph in the first 3 gears ?
What's happens if the car is above 60 kph in the first 3 gears ? Is it applicable to all diesels or only the swift ?
Old 26th February 2010, 15:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What's happens if the car is above 60 kph in the first 3 gears ? Is it applicable to all diesels or only the swift ?

This applies to all diesel vehicles with tubro chargers in them.

What happens is that when we start pulling from a stand still position to get a high top end the engine is putting a sudden intense pressure on the turbo and sometimes the turbo gets clogged because of this intense pickup. We should move into 4th gear and then we should pull because by then the turbo has started functioning and then pulling won't make much of a difference since it is in working already.The more gradual the turbo kicks in the better it is.However pulling at the lower gear once in a rare while won't do damage as such.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 26th February 2010 at 15:28.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Yep I have already done that, thanks
IMO you are doing it wrong ethically and legally. Think of it before you claim warranty. This is not right on our part that we install something and if it doesn't work remove them and get the dealer to task. But this PURELY MY OPINION. It is always left to the owner to do whatever he wants to do on his car. Sorry.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:20   #11
BHPian

I think air filter is the culprit. Thanks to Blore roads!
Old 26th February 2010, 16:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
IMO you are doing it wrong ethically and legally. Think of it before you claim warranty. This is not right on our part that we install something and if it doesn't work remove them and get the dealer to task. But this PURELY MY OPINION. It is always left to the owner to do whatever he wants to do on his car. Sorry.

so tone was set in another thread, Phew!!!

Guys what anarchist did is part of isolating the issue, had i been him i would have done that as well. I am sure no one out of us want the A S S to tell us that the issue is due to the tuning box even without looking under the hood. Loss of power can be a clutch failure as well, can be a conked off turbo but that would mean a lot of smoke. Lets not jump the gun and talk ethics here. There are cases when insurance was denied because a car had tbhp sticker on it, the reason well "your car is being used for illegal street racing".

Does anyone need proof to call you the murdrer, all they have to do is point an finger and call you a murderer and sit back, its up to you to defend now.

I do not feel its ethically wrong to get them find out the right cause, let them zero down the issue to be modifications done on the car or some issue with the ECU due to the tuning box, then we can say what went wrong. petes tunning boxes are not made by petes, its some well known UK brand which is rebranded by him. So i assume enough testing must have been done and this is the first such case i am hering.

We all know hyundai CRDIs are not bullet proof, lets wait for the diagnosis and then put our ethical and non ethical debate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pramod
Old 26th February 2010, 16:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Whatever MODS to the engine you are doing, it is always better to do after the warranty period is over IMO. Just in case if the A S S finds out then you will be under trouble for cauinsg the problem for the dealer. But you never know when you are lucky and when your luck runs out. Fingers crossed that @anarchist problem is solved and he can ride teh car as before. Hoping for the best.
@pramod--> I knew many post might say aganist me and that is the reason I specifically said "PURELY MY OPINION"
Old 26th February 2010, 16:41   #14
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
I second this thought. Moreover if Hyundai by any means gets to know all this,it would create a bad image of the forum and its members. if that happens think of those members who have TEAM-BHP stickers on their cars and can they remove those every time they visit Hyundai??
Old 26th February 2010, 16:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@pramod--> I knew many post might say aganist me and that is the reason I specifically said "PURELY MY OPINION"
Understand that and apprciate your honesty, anarchist has put his experience here to get support, lets give him that, the man already must be in a lot of agony for his less than 2 year old car played dead on him in the middle of the road. Poor guy had not been able to concentrate in the meeting. Let A S S find out what the problem is, the guy who can afford a 6+ lac hatch back can also afford the ethical way of reparing it, lets first see what happens and for christ sake leave right or wrong to him to decide. There is no double standards involved yet. I know people who have done extensive mods on their less than 6 month old car and finally blew up their engines, and they paid themselves for the rebuild. So people here are well aware of ethics and lets all avoid moral policing. No offences intended to anyone its again my point of view.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks