Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 12:16   #1

How does the Automobile/ Vehicle function?

Hello Members,

It's been a long time I am looking for resources to get an idea how actually does the vehicle/s functions within when we drive it?

Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering that when I simply drive the vehicle using 'ABC' (accelaration, brake and clutch pedals) and shifting gears, what, during this time, is happening under the hood? Can I find any 3D image/ animated images/ texts which explains the whole complex inside-process while a vehicle is moving?

So, all petrol-heads and gurus, would you please pour in here to clarify?

Mods: I did not find any relevant thread. If it is inappropriate, please merge or remove.

--Regards,
Old 26th February 2010, 13:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Travelaholic,

Spend some time on this site : HowStuffWorks "How Cars Work"

And then come back here with more specific questions, which we'll gladly answer.
If i remember correct, How Stuff Works used to have some good animations and descriptions.

cya
R
Old 26th February 2010, 13:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, howstuffworks.com is the right place, and they do have animated videos on just about every major system of the automobile.

I recently had a minor issue with the gearbox of my Scorpio, to which the SS people talked about a possible problem with the synchroniser. Before taking up any repairs, I just logged on to howstuffworks, which had a brilliant section on the topic. I could understand exactly what was going on in my gearbox, then on.

A couple of decades ago, I had to depend on automobile textbooks, and try to visualise a lot, whereas nowadays we can see all the stuff first hand through the videos on the net, and go deeper into the topic with the textbooks if one so desires.

Most Viewed