Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 10:20   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
My response was for comparison between the MRF and JK.

I get approx 13.5 KMPL on a mixed usage of city(spirited driving) + highway driving on my zxi with the 185/70 R14 JK vectras & with the auto a/c set at 24 degree Celsius all of the time.

Michelin, Yokohama, Continental etc are a different segment.

I did contemplate changing to Michelin earlier on but then got the Vectras filled up with Nitrogen and ensured that filled pressure was at 29psi.
The stock JK tyres on my Swift VXi ABS (July 2007) have now done around 41000 kms & I will be changing it soon.

I am looking for the stock sizes itself - 165/80 R14 - not planning to upgrade to upsize.

I had checked with a local tire dealer - he had only 2 options in 165/80 R14 - JK & MRF. JK was Rs. 2350 & MRF was Rs. 2500.
80-90% of my driving is in the city. My highway average is around 17 kmpl but my city average comes only to around 10 kmpl (note that I drive a lot in very bad bumper to bumper traffic). I fill my tyres to 33 PSI every 15 days.

What's the best recommeded tyres for my need. My priorities are
in this order
- Safety
- Petrol consumption
- Price of the tyres (this is also important though it's 3rd priority).

I don't really speed or push the car to it's limits.

Also, do the prices I quoted above look reasonable? Do the tyres guy buy back the old tyres? If yes, what kind of money do they offer? Also is balancing and/or alignment free with the new tyres?

Also I am little confused as to what to do with my spare tyres. It's not as used as the other 4 (the rotation guys don't seem to do a 5-tyre rotation - I will ensure that they do it henceforth). But I think it's either 2 or 3 years old (not sure whether it's 2 or 3 years old because my spare tyre was replaced under warranty for a leak & I am not sure whether the replacement tyre was put in the trunk or was it used on one of the 4 wheels).
Old 27th July 2010, 10:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The stock JK tyres on my Swift VXi ABS (July 2007) have now done around 41000 kms & I will be changing it soon.

I am looking for the stock sizes itself - 165/80 R14 - not planning to upgrade to upsize.

I had checked with a local tire dealer - he had only 2 options in 165/80 R14 - JK & MRF. JK was Rs. 2350 & MRF was Rs. 2500.
80-90% of my driving is in the city. My highway average is around 17 kmpl but my city average comes only to around 10 kmpl (note that I drive a lot in very bad bumper to bumper traffic). I fill my tyres to 33 PSI every 15 days.

What's the best recommeded tyres for my need. My priorities are
in this order
- Safety
- Petrol consumption
- Price of the tyres (this is also important though it's 3rd priority).

I don't really speed or push the car to it's limits.

Also, do the prices I quoted above look reasonable? Do the tyres guy buy back the old tyres? If yes, what kind of money do they offer? Also is balancing and/or alignment free with the new tyres?

Also I am little confused as to what to do with my spare tyres. It's not as used as the other 4 (the rotation guys don't seem to do a 5-tyre rotation - I will ensure that they do it henceforth). But I think it's either 2 or 3 years old (not sure whether it's 2 or 3 years old because my spare tyre was replaced under warranty for a leak & I am not sure whether the replacement tyre was put in the trunk or was it used on one of the 4 wheels).
Hi Carboy,

It is funny that you want to stick to the stock specifications of the tire but your priority on your list is 'safety'!! You can look at 185/70/R14 which is the size that comes as standard on the Zxi. They will be a 'safer' option and will have no effect on the fuel consumption. Look at better brands like Michelin, Yokohama, Maxxis, etc. Keep away from JK & MRF.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2010, 11:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
There was no problem with the clutch except that it got hard to press. I mean not real hard but it became very tiring (and sore knees !) while driving in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour.

my guess, and its a calculated guess, is that you probably needed just to change the clutch cable (rs. 250). That would have probably taken the strain out of your knee... did they change it while doing the job?

Even the stutter at the start (in gear 1) is because of a worn out cable.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:11   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Carboy,

It is funny that you want to stick to the stock specifications of the tire but your priority on your list is 'safety'!! You can look at 185/70/R14 which is the size that comes as standard on the Zxi. They will be a 'safer' option and will have no effect on the fuel consumption. Look at better brands like Michelin, Yokohama, Maxxis, etc. Keep away from JK & MRF.
I drove 3 years/35000 kms on the stock JK Vectra - 80% of this driving was on the Bombay-Pune expressway. I did not find any problems with the tyre. Now my driving patterns have changed radically, where I will be driving 80% in city traffic. So I felt that if this size was good enough for highway driving, it should be good enough for city driving.

My point on safety being the first priority was within the confines of the stock size. Again, safety, cost & fuel consumption are all important though safety is the first priority. I am trying to figure which is the safest VFM tyre in the stock size. I would pay a little more if it's compensated for in lower fuel consumption. However, I wouldn't want the safety to go down from that of the JK Vectra.

Also, a few recent threads on t-bhp seem to indicate that the Indian tyres are better for Indian conditions.
Take for an example this thread -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-drives-3.html

Last edited by carboy : 27th July 2010 at 11:14.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:07   #20
BHPian

Swift

Hi,
From my experience the Michelin is very good in grip andmy friend is having JK.

But the tyre life will be only around 30000 kms in Michelin and my friend has did around 18000kms inhis swift with Jk.Its also good in grip.In rainy times surely u will feel this while braking.

For Indian roads MRF are the best in the life span,but u cant expect more compact like Michelin or JK.
Try for Brdigestone Potenza also.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@abhay,

Wow...this is real cheap - my Tucson clutch overhaul costs @Rs. 14000.

@unoczar,
That's another wow...Swift has a cable operated clutch and not hydraulic???
Old 28th July 2010, 21:54   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
Hi,
From my experience the Michelin is very good in grip andmy friend is having JK.

But the tyre life will be only around 30000 kms in Michelin and my friend has did around 18000kms inhis swift with Jk.Its also good in grip.In rainy times surely u will feel this while braking.

For Indian roads MRF are the best in the life span,but u cant expect more compact like Michelin or JK.
Try for Brdigestone Potenza also.
What do you mean by "more compact"?
Old 14th June 2015, 17:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift clutch like butter ! (But price ?)

So nearly 5 years & 30,000 kms after the quoted post the JK's were at the fag end of their life. The ride had become very harsh and chunks of tread were beginning to fall of the carcass. Within a week of noticing the falling chunks, I changed the OE JK Vectras with Continental Comfort Contact CC5 tires.

The Continentals being new have changed the ride dynamics offering a very soft ride but the biggest change is in road noise which has all but disappeared. Tire size remains stock at 185/70R14, Nitrogen pressure being 29 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I am however not going to change till I wear the JK's out.
Old 19th October 2015, 23:37   #24
BHPian

My swift has completed close to 42k kms. During the 40k comprehensive Last service, MASS recommended a clutch overhaul. I don't exactly feel the need although its not super smooth but I don't want to compromise either. Please suggest whether I should opt for the clutch replacement/overhaul procedure pegged at Rs.8500 approx by MASS.inclusive of labour charges I suppose. Will 5 years escalate clutch and labour costs more than 50%?
Old 20th October 2015, 01:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Check the costs with another MASS in your area and get the job done only if you feel the need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulspace999 View Post
My swift has completed close to 42k kms. During the 40k comprehensive Last service, MASS recommended a clutch overhaul. I don't exactly feel the need although its not super smooth but I don't want to compromise either. Please suggest whether I should opt for the clutch replacement/overhaul procedure pegged at Rs.8500 approx by MASS.inclusive of labour charges I suppose. Will 5 years escalate clutch and labour costs more than 50%?
Old 20th October 2015, 03:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulspace999 View Post
I'd you don't feel a need, don't change the clutch. 40K kms is too low mileage for a clutch change, unless you are a bad driver. Plus the cost looks exorbitant to me. Two years back, I was quoted 5K for clutch overhaul for Swift D. Looks to me like a con job.

To test the efficiency of clutch, you can take it to a small ramp & try to move the car using clutch alone. If it does, your clutch is fine. Do you feel any vibrations or jerks like operating clutch??

Most Viewed