Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 14:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio Nozzle Service & general service

Date: February 26, 2010
Time: 10:00 am
ODO reading: 113408 Kms.

The Bull had run 79993 Kms since the last servicing was done in November and it was time to visit the FNG. One of the other compelling reasons being that on one of my aggressive runs on the NH8, I discovered bellows of smoke in the RVM when gunning from 115 to 120 & then from 120 to 125 kmph. The cloud vanished as I eased on the pedal and returned once again when I floored.

Mine being a non-CRDe, I did expect some smoke in comparison to CRDe but not this much. I had two doubts - choked silencer system or choked nozzles. Some of you may ask, why not choked air filter? Because I periodically clean the air filter - approximately every month.

Called Roshun and consulted and he seemed to concur with me on the nozzle issue.

So, yesterday armed with a 15 ltr bucket of Chevron Delo 400 & Chevron gear & differential oil I marched to my FNG.

Since I was quite early, only two more cars were standing in the bay. I asked Rakesh to take a TD to check for any other anomalies and after a detailed TD of about 3 kms he said - "gaadi to bilkul sahi chal rahi hai".

Well, happy with my self I sat back on the chair and servicing job began immediately after the job card was prepared by Rakesh. The first & the foremost was to remove the 4 diesel nozzles so that they could be sent for servicing. It took almost an hour to remove them and then 4 gleaming MICO-BOSCH nozzles were being stared at by me and Rakesh. The tip of the nozzles were black with soot and we could see some pores on each. BTW, each nozzle has 4 fine pores from which the fuel is sprayed in the chamber. The nozzles were sent for service to the local MICO centre and I was told the procedure which is as follows:

"Just like injectors of a petrol car is put on a machine and cleaned, similarly the nozzles too are put on a machine and checked for blockage & plunger pressure. Then the tip of the nozzle is opened and the plunger section unscrewed. The tip is sand blasted with fine sand and with a micro-thin wire the pores are cleaned. Assembled and checked again on the machine and sent back if found to be ok".

In the meanwhile the rest of the procedure started. Engine oil, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter and Gearbox & Diff oil were changed while the brake, PS & clutch oil were checked. Rear brakes were serviced, rear bumper painted, Nut-bolts tightened & silencer flushed. Only two days back I had replaced the stock foam air filter with K&N.

In the meanwhile the serviced nozzles arrived and following was the report:

First cylinder's nozzle: 2 out of 4 pores blocked
Second cylinder's nozzle: All 4 pores open
Third cylinder's nozzle: 1 out of 4 pore blocked
Fourth cylinder's nozzle: 1 out of 4 pore blocked

The nozzles were refitted, diesel pump activated to remove air from the fuel lines and the engine cranked. After 2 cranks it started. I felt the sound was a lot smoother and FNG also concurred. Could be psychological also. This would be dispelled later.

Checked for leakages and after all was found ok, the truck was taken to the washing bay. Here the old coolant was drained out and the radiator flushed thoroughly. 3 ltrs of Golden Cruiser coolant liquid was poured and then topped with distilled water. After washing & greasing, it was the AC guys turn to check the cooling system. He said that the gas required top-up and did so. Settled the bill and was ready to roll out at 2:30 pm. Total time spent at FNG - 4.30 hrs.

Now was the time to visit Deepak Kataria of Bridgestone Select at GGN for balancing, rotation & alignment. Within an-hour I was cruising on my way to work. The NVH was much lower, pick-up increased and the engine running smoother. Gunned for power from 110 to 120. No cloud. Happy Bull owner.

The cost breakdown:

Engine oil, Gearbox & Differential from Chevron was used from my stock, that I had hoarded before Chevron shut shop.

1. Chevron Delo 400 Engine oil - 6 ltrs
2. Chevron Automotive gear oil GL4 SAE90 - 2.5 ltrs
3. Chevron Automotive differential oil GL5EP SAE 85W~140 - 2.0 ltrs
4. Purolator oil filter - Rs. 110.00
5. MICO Diesel Filter set - Rs. 140.00
6. Golden Cruiser Coolant - Rs. 540.00
7. Two spare rear indicator bulbs - Rs. 20.00
8. Rear bumper denting & painting - Rs. 1000.00
9. Nozzle service - Rs. 350.00
10.AC gas top-up - Rs. 400.00
11.Servicing & labour - Rs. 800.00
12.Five wheel rotation, balancing & alignment - Rs. 400.00

TOTAL - Rs. 3760/-

Now I'm all set to face the scorching summer of Delhi/NCR...
Old 28th February 2010, 07:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great GD, informative as ever! all details covered. Happy to read your posts! Happy Motoring!

I am planning for synthetic engine oil in my 35k service in 2-3 weeks from now. Any suggestions?
Old 28th February 2010, 08:48   #3
BHPian

Goo Maintenance habits GD. Your bull is of which year? Non crde means a 90 PS scorpio?
Old 28th February 2010, 08:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

BCG, nice crisp update but.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The Bull had run 79993 Kms since the last servicing was done in November and it was time to visit the FNG.
Should that be 9993 instead?
Old 28th February 2010, 08:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

great report gd, proves to be very useful to me. but do you know the A.S.S. staff personally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Goo Maintenance habits GD. Your bull is of which year? Non crde means a 90 PS scorpio?
Non crde scorpio is 110 bhp = 111 PS.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am going to trot across and get my injectors cleaned at the nearest MICO Centre. Thanks, GD, for the cue.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:31   #7
BHPian

Hi GD,
That was really Informative.
I have a 203 End Non CRDE Chain Drive 2.6 Scorpio.
It has done around 70,000 kms.
I am thinking of the Nozzles serviced too. At my lat service at Bhasin Moors, I told them to do the Injector Cleaning, but they said they do not have the facility.
Can you please let me know the Contact details of your FNG and of the Mico Service Center too.
I stay in Vasant Kunj, and I think since you are in Gurgaon, it should not be too far for me too.
Thanks
Styler (Amit Kalra)
Old 1st March 2010, 21:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

No harm in using synthetic oil at 35K. Engine is fairly new. I hope you would be using Mobil.

But, if you start using synthetic, then stick to it and don't interchange with mineral or semi-synthetic. Synthetic oil is thinner and use of it at later stages, i.e. + 60 or 70K kms, could result in oil seal leakages. But if you continue using the same type then no harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Great GD, informative as ever! all details covered. Happy to read your posts! Happy Motoring!

I am planning for synthetic engine oil in my 35k service in 2-3 weeks from now. Any suggestions?
Mine is a 2004 GLx and the specs are as follows:

Displacement: 2609 ccm (159.20 cubic inches)

Engine type: Inline, 4 cylinder

Max power: 109.00 PS (80 kW or 108 HP) at 3800 Rev. per min.

Max torque: 260.00 Nm (26.5 kgf-m or 191.8 ft.lbs) at 1800 Rev. per min.

Gearbox: Manual, 5-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
A major typo error Dada. It should read as 7993 Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
BCG, nice crisp update but.....

Should that be 9993 instead?
Raj, I don't and never ever go to ASC. Why do you ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
great report gd, proves to be very useful to me. but do you know the A.S.S. staff personally?

Non crde scorpio is 110 bhp = 111 PS.
Welcome HVK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am going to trot across and get my injectors cleaned at the nearest MICO Centre. Thanks, GD, for the cue.
Injector cleaning generally meant for CRDe models. The injector cleaning machine comes for a few crores, I'm told. Not many ASCs have this with them. Most of them do a chemical cleaning that is inadequate.

Nozzle cleaning instead is different and part manual as well. My FNG contact is Rakesh Sharma - 9811580697. He sent & got the nozzles serviced. I didn't go to the service centre personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi GD,
That was really Informative.
I have a 203 End Non CRDE Chain Drive 2.6 Scorpio.
It has done around 70,000 kms.
I am thinking of the Nozzles serviced too. At my lat service at Bhasin Moors, I told them to do the Injector Cleaning, but they said they do not have the facility.
Can you please let me know the Contact details of your FNG and of the Mico Service Center too.
I stay in Vasant Kunj, and I think since you are in Gurgaon, it should not be too far for me too.
Thanks
Styler (Amit Kalra)

Last edited by gd1418 : 1st March 2010 at 21:58.
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GD, I want to stick to Synthetic hence forth as I was told by many users that it definitely has advantages over the others.
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

The engine oil changing schedule changes once you start using synthetic. You shall need engine oil replacement after 15K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Thanks GD, I want to stick to Synthetic hence forth as I was told by many users that it definitely has advantages over the others.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sure GD, will bear that in mind for oil changes. Thank you.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:17   #12
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance but what's FNG?
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what's FNG?
Friendly Neighborhood Garage
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Raj, I don't and never ever go to ASC. Why do you ask?
that is the reason for such good service! such a service can be expected in a A.S.S. only of your have your 'contacts' in there, thats the reason i asked.
Old 5th March 2010, 22:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree totally with you. Everywhere you need to have contacts. Why can't good service be a standard everywhere? Why do we ever need to have contacts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
that is the reason for such good service! such a service can be expected in a A.S.S. only of your have your 'contacts' in there, thats the reason i asked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks