Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 16:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Weird Problem With Charging System

While returning the day before night,I realised that the battery warning light was coming on off and on.The car was on full Electrical load - ac,lights,ICE .This is a Versa 2003 BSII.

I also noticed that the horn was sounding weaker thannormal and lights were not that bright leading me to believe that there is a problem in charging.

Came home ,and shut the car off and turned they key on again - only the engine check light and the oil pressure light came on.Start the car and raise the rpm to approx 2500 when the battery warning would come on;release throttle and the light would go off.

Went to my trusted auto electrician the next morning(was scared that the battery would lose charge as the workshop was 11km away),but nothing happened.

Normally one would believe this to be a problem in the alternator but it turned out to be a bad coupler on the main charging cable.The coupler would not decouple and eventually the cable ends had to be soldered using hi temperature solder.

All was well after this - the battery light came on with ignition on,went off after engine fired,and the voltage across battery was 13.7V with engine running - a sign that the battery had run down a bit.

I was told that this is a common problem and M800 is notorious for this.

Some pics of the coupler.You can see the broken white portion - the coupler saw sparking and the complete inside has disintegrated

Lessons Learnt:
  1. Be watchful always - for tell tale signs on the dashboard
  2. Keep learning and sharing.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Problem With Charging System-img_0691.jpg  

Weird Problem With Charging System-img_0693.jpg  

Last edited by vigsom : 28th February 2010 at 16:36. Reason: addition
Old 28th February 2010, 17:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Interesting!

This would not have been high on the list of guesses for what was causing your problem had i had to take a shot at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
[*]Keep learning and sharing.
Following in that tradition - does your camera have a macro mode? In your pics it seems to be focussing on the background.

cya
R
Old 28th February 2010, 17:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
does your camera have a macro mode? In your pics it seems to be focussing on the background.
This is a Canon Powershot A520(an old 4MP one);I have not been able to take good closeups;don't know why
Old 28th February 2010, 18:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Forgive the OT

Quote:
This is a Canon Powershot A520(an old 4MP one);I have not been able to take good closeups;don't know why
Press the macro button (the flower should be shown on the screen). The camera will then focus on on objects that are very close, but will not focus on objects further than about 10-20cm.

Weird Problem With Charging System-canonpowershota520back.jpg
Source : Link

Do put up some new pics of you can.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2010 at 18:56.
Old 28th February 2010, 20:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While returning the day before night,I realised that the battery warning light was coming on off and on....

Came home ,and shut the car off and turned they key on again - only the engine check light and the oil pressure light came on.Start the car and raise the rpm to approx 2500 when the battery warning would come on;release throttle and the light would go off.

Went to my trusted auto electrician the next morning(was scared that the battery would lose charge as the workshop was 11km away),but nothing happened.

I was told that this is a common problem and M800 is notorious for this.
As you have mentioned, a fairly common problem. However,the Ign telltale should come on initially. Am wondering why it did not in your case. Also, the glowing of the Ign. telltale when the engine is revved should be fairly faint. Was it so in your case?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th February 2010, 21:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Also, the glowing of the Ign. telltale when the engine is revved should be fairly faint. Was it so in your case?
What I first observed was the battery warning light come on faintly when the rev went up and go off when I shifted to the next higher gear.

When I tried the rev at home,the light was on in full splendour when the car was revved to 2500rpm plus.It would go off at approx 2000 rpm

Rehaan, thanks for the tip;will try to get clearer pics tomorrow(after holifying)

Last edited by vigsom : 28th February 2010 at 21:48. Reason: addition
Old 1st March 2010, 10:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy Holi Guys.

am posting a few more,hopefully clearer pics

The Coupler - there was some foam on the yellow portion,possibly to keep it insulated,the foam had disintergrated
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Problem With Charging System-img_0711.jpg  

Last edited by vigsom : 1st March 2010 at 10:20. Reason: added text
Old 1st March 2010, 12:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

some more pics - see how the inside of the coupler has got heated up and discoloured,probably due to sparking
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Problem With Charging System-img_0708.jpg  

Weird Problem With Charging System-img_0710.jpg  

Old 1st March 2010, 22:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I still can't reconcile these two symptoms (Ign. telltale not coming on initially, and then coming on fully bright when engine is revved) with the bad coupler. Anyone with any theories?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks