Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 15:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Swift Vdi - Failed turbo under 5K on the clock!!

Thanks Anurag and CrAzY dRiVeR

Actually I was resistant to get the Turbo changed as I do not want unnecessary changes to the engine or any other critical part. Also our Dzire is going strong after 90K on the ODO. So I was not sure.

It all had started with the last service. After the service, the SA told me that they tried to do the blower cleaning, but failed as some "Rusted screws" were just not moving. Due to the shortage of time they did not change the break pads also. So I picked the the car and on my way back I found that there was some Buzzing noise coming from under the dashboard, below the Speedometer area. This noise increased pathetically over 5-6 days time.

So I took the car back and told them to correct this issue as it was not there before the service. They kept the car for 2 days and when it was returned to me, I still could hear the noise but it was faded during the testing. The oversmart SA told me, "Sir, Maine poora 2 din lagaya gaadi pe, gear oil, break oil aur coolant ka level bhi low tha wo maine Top-Up kar diya. Aur the break pads bhi change kar diye hain". But Sir aapka Turbo fail honey ka KAGAAR pe hai".

I lost my head and called the manager and told him, what the hell did you do when you did the scheduled service and charged me 5K just 10 days back. Today your SA is telling me that he found Gear and Break Oil level were low, Coolant was low. Didn't he check this then? Why did not he tell me that my Turbo is going to die soon when I picked my car after servicing?

I literally shouted at them and asked for the MASS Owner to have a word with him. The Manager knew me as I have done all the services here only from the start. Then he took a long test drive and told that there is some noise coming out from Turbo, it can work but why take risk of crossing the warranty phase. He assured me that lets change the turbo as its in Warranty and I will make sure that all issues are properly addressed.

I will try to be there the whole time when they change the turbo.
Old 14th September 2014, 10:16   #32
BHPian

You have two cars with turbo failures. Unless you're extremely unlucky, I think you're doing something wrong.
Turbos don't fail so early, not on two different makes and two very different engines.

For a list of things that you might have been doing wrong, do read the various posts on the forum.
Old 19th September 2014, 14:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
You have two cars with turbo failures. Unless you're extremely unlucky, I think you're doing something wrong.
Turbos don't fail so early, not on two different makes and two very different engines.

For a list of things that you might have been doing wrong, do read the various posts on the forum.

Hey Otto, I think you got confused. This is the first time turbo got failed for my Ritz. My other car Dzire is doing great after 90K. Everything Stock except the Tyres.
Old 19th September 2014, 15:56   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post

Hey Otto, I think you got confused. This is the first time turbo got failed for my Ritz. My other car Dzire is doing great after 90K. Everything Stock except the Tyres.
Any update on the turbo change by MASS?

Anurag.
Old 19th September 2014, 23:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
My bad then.
Did you get a chance to take a look at where the damage was?
In most cases a turbo failure means turbo bearing failure which almost happens due to a lack of oil.
If the bearing is worn, secondary damage could be to the impeller/diffuser, so finding out the root cause of the damage is imperative here.

A lack of oil scenario is operator error. Nothing much you can do there.
Anything else, apart from feeding foreign particles into the air suction is bad assembly.
Otto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 23:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Anurag.
Turbo is changed. Since I could not stay there for entire day due to work, I asked MASS manager for checking the new turbo. He happily took me to the warehouse and opened the Seal of the new turbo in front of me. I clicked the pictures of new turbo bearing the part no. and other identifications. Next day I checked and ensured that the same is fitted in my car.

Now some paint job and rear bumper replacement is in progress. On Sunday I will get the Car.

Quote:
My bad then.
In most cases a turbo failure means turbo bearing failure which almost happens due to a lack of oil.
If the bearing is worn, secondary damage could be to the impeller/diffuser, so finding out the root cause of the damage is imperative here.

A lack of oil scenario is operator error. Nothing much you can do there.
Anything else, apart from feeding foreign particles into the air suction is bad assembly.
I could not check and discuss on the old turbo. At the time of delivery of car I will discuss and update on that.
Old 26th September 2014, 19:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
Hi Anurag,

Turbo is changed. I can feel the punch back. Thought I have driven only 50 KM since I got the car, but it surely feels good.

However that Buzz nose coming from under the dashboard is still unresolved, MASS guys failed to fix that even after keeping the car with them for a week.

Regards,
Parth

Quote:
My bad then.

Hi Otto,

I discussed with the SA and Manager. They were actually kind of not so sure of the fault. They tried to explain me something which I just could not understand or make any sense out of it. But the noise coming out from Turbo is not there and surely the performance is just like the initial days. So I believe there was some issue.

Regards,
Parth
Old 26th September 2014, 19:37   #38
BANNED

Quote:
They tried to explain me something which I just could not understand or make any sense out of it. But the noise coming out from Turbo is not there and surely the performance is just like the initial days. So I believe there was some issue.
Good that the car is back in shape but what I feel is, wasn't it better to troubleshoot, find the root cause and arrest that and then see if the problem solves?! Why change the whole turbo unit as such.

I know it is a warranty change but still. Looking at your problem description, I was suspecting the noise coming from turbo plumbing as air could be leaking.

EDIT: A small piece of advice, please follow the idling rule before starting of for the day and after reaching your destination after every drive to cool off the turbo.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th September 2014 at 19:40.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 20:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Good that the car is back in shape but what I feel is, wasn't it better to troubleshoot, find the root cause and arrest that and then see if the problem solves?! Why change the whole turbo unit as such.

I know it is a warranty change but still. Looking at your problem description, I was suspecting the noise coming from turbo plumbing as air could be leaking.

EDIT: A small piece of advice, please follow the idling rule before starting of for the day and after reaching your destination after every drive to cool off the turbo.

Anurag.

I agree with you and I pushed them to do the same. But either they were unable to find and fix it or they were too lithargic to even work on the issue.
Regrading the idling rule, I do follow it religiously.

Thanks.

Last edited by napster1311 : 26th September 2014 at 20:52.
Old 26th September 2014, 21:38   #40
BHPian

Parth,
That buzz could be coming from a loose air filter foundation or a side or head lamp.
Is it always there or only when you rev to a particular rpm?
Old 7th October 2014, 17:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Parth,
That buzz could be coming from a loose air filter foundation or a side or head lamp.
Is it always there or only when you rev to a particular rpm?
Otto,

Sorry for the late response, somehow I missed your reply.

The noise was very low initiatlly on both the occasions after it was fixed (so called) by A.S.S. But gradually it increased every time.

When idling there is no such noise. But it starts when I rev the engine and increases in 2nd and 3rd gear as the rev increases. . Mine is LDi so no tacho, that's why I am not sure the Rev range when the Buzz noise is max.
While Crusing in 4th and 5th gear noise is there but very low compared to the 2nd and 3rd gear revving.

I will check the areas you mentioned and update.
Old 7th October 2014, 17:26   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Mine is LDi so no tacho, that's why I am not sure the Rev range when the Buzz noise is max. While Crusing in 4th and 5th gear noise is there but very low compared to the 2nd and 3rd gear revving.
No issue if your car doesn't have a tacho. Do tell us the speed and gear you are in when the sound is heard we can get the RPM that your engine will be.

In 5th gear @ 80 kmph = 2000 RPM

In 5th gear @ 60 kmph = 1500 RPM

Anurag.
Old 8th October 2014, 13:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
No issue if your car doesn't have a tacho. Do tell us the speed and gear you are in when the sound is heard we can get the RPM that your engine will be.

In 5th gear @ 80 kmph = 2000 RPM

In 5th gear @ 60 kmph = 1500 RPM

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag.

I had a long drive last night. And below are the obervations. Otherwise the performance and power post the turbo change is just awesome. I keep falling in love with my Ritzy over an over. But this noise is acting like a villain in the party.

1. 1st gear when I take off the buzz starts coming in.

2. Shift to 2nd and while increasing the speed to 20 kmph+ for upshift the Buzz noise is there.

3. 3rd gear noise is there till I cross 40 kmph after that its not there. I keep revving, turbo kicks in still no such noise while I keep on accelerating till 70-80 kmph.

4. 4th gear (shifting from 3rd after 40 kmph+) noise is there till speeds hits 60 kmph. Then noise is not there.

5. Shifting to 5th post 60 kmph+ noise is not there.

6. But as soon as I decelerates below 60 in 5th and 4th Buzz noise comes back.

The Buzz sound is like a a thin paper flipping in front of a fan, or in cartoons as the show when a bee flips its wings.

Regards,
Parth

Last edited by napster1311 : 8th October 2014 at 13:35. Reason: typo corrected.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:45   #44
BHPian

Parth,
You could try this with the car stationary -
Have someone rev the car slowly until you start hearing that buzz.
Pop the hood and see if you can identify the source.
I'd start with the air filter box and move to the engine cowling, head lamps, indicator lamps and so on. Holding them down should eliminate the noise.
If it's happening when the car is at standstill then it's a vibrating component , if it only happens when the car is moving, it's your wheel bearings.
Old 9th April 2015, 15:12   #45
BHPian

Hi,

Post after a very very long time. Did not realize there were recent posts on the thread either. But interesting reads, it kinda proves the state the affairs with most MASS across the country.

I stopped giving my care for service to a MASS about 3 years ago. Never had to avail the extended warranty (touch wood), so going to my preferred garage worked well for me.

Anyways, so my car is inching the 76k mark and I have had a relatively problem free experience so far (a few nicks, scratches, battery issues & standard wear and tear).

About a year ago, my car was used by a lot of different people ranging from friends & family every now & then. Most times highways and some city driving. All with varied styles of driving.

Though somewhere around the 62-65k mark I noticed a drop in performance from the car. Thought it was from lack of managing the 20k major service (diesel filter, oil filter, oil & air filter change) intervals, due to busy schedules and travel. Did get the needful done, that made a small difference & I was ok with that. The garage diagnosed it as signs of the clutch crawling to the end of its life. But based on the engagement levels of the clutch, I had about another 5-7k life on them.

Its now inching closer to the 76k mark and I am starting to really feel a loss of performance and notchy downshifts. So it is def time to have the clutch replaced & I related performance loss here straight to clutch wear. (There has been no slipping ever, just delayed initial pickup).

At the same time the suspension has over time gotten rather bouncy & needs replacement (I don't believe the in the whole resetting suspension thought process).

So what does this all bring me to?
1) What has been the average life of the clutch for fellow Swift Diesel owners?
2) Suspension woes begin at what stage on most Swift Diesel's?
3) What is the expected costs for clutch replacement? Does on need to replace the entire system (plumbing, master cylinder etc) or do they outlast clutch life?
4) Suspension, stock Maruti suspension costs? Better to use stock or are there better affordable suspension kits available in the market?

Does anyone have a spare parts manual for the swift? I have always had spare parts manuals for my motorcycles, would like to have one for the swift as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks