Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 12:00   #1
BHPian

TDCI or Multijet - Which is technically superior?

With Figo all set to make a big splash with VFM pricing, iam sure a lot of new diesel car customers will have the daunting task of choosing between the TDCI and the plethora of Multijet offerings.

My query to this forum is - Which engine is better, technically? I know an engine does not maketh a car.
Refinement, turbo lag, fuel efficiency, long-term cost of ownership (upkeep), etc can be points of consideration/discussion.

This is not a poll to decide a winner. Just a thread to discuss the relative merits/demerits of these engines from owner's perspective.

Thanks,
WR
Old 4th March 2010, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hope you are aware that the TDCi is Ford's name for it's range of Common Rail Turbo diesel engines, while MultiJet is a term used on the Common Rail Turbo diesel engines from FIAT (initially FIAT used the term JTD).

So, both TDCi and MultiJet have something in common in technical terms : they are both Common-Rail Turbo-Diesel engines.

(CRDe is Mahindra's term for the same type of engine, while DICOR is Tata's term and Toyota's is D-4D).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail

Therefore, I dont understand the point in trying to compare TDCi and MultiJet, or just TDCi and Multijet ???

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 4th March 2010 at 12:23.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Hope you are aware that the TDCi is Ford's name for it's range of Common Rail Turbo diesel engines, while MultiJet is a term used on the Common Rail Turbo diesel engines from FIAT (initially FIAT used the term JTD).

So, both TDCi and MultiJet have something in common in technical terms : they are both Common-Rail Turbo-Diesel engines.

(CRDe is Mahindra's term for the same type of engine, while DICOR is Tata's term and Toyota's is D-4D).

Common rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Therefore, I dont understand the point in trying to compare TDCi and MultiJet, or just TDCi and Multijet ???
Also add the hyundai CrDI to the list .
Old 4th March 2010, 12:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess he wants to compare the common rail implementations. Given that people have compared even between the various MJD's ( the SWIFT BS III vs Ritz BSIV vs punto/Indica MJD etc), the request sounds reasonable
Old 4th March 2010, 13:54   #5
BHPian

The multijet and the TDci will retyrn almost similar fuel economy figures but the Tdci is devoid of any turbo lag which makes city driving easier compared to the multijet.

The multijet should be easier to maintain though since it is produced in more numbers compared to the tdci and so the spares should be priced lower than the Tdci.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:04   #6
BHPian

Second Generation Ford Ka uses Fiat Multijet Engines rebadged as Duratorque TDCi. This says that Multijet is better compared to Fords own implementation.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:07   #7
BANNED

Though both are Common Rail, the TDCi is a bit older compared to the MJD/JTD/QJD/DDiS.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Second Generation Ford Ka uses Fiat Multijet Engines rebadged as Duratorque TDCi. This says that Multijet is better compared to Fords own implementation.
Even the diesels on Fusion/Fiesta are also called Duratorque. Are you sure what they use in Ka is different?
Old 4th March 2010, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Even the diesels on Fusion/Fiesta are also called Duratorque. Are you sure what they use in Ka is different?
Ford Ka uses 1.3 Multijet. I am not sure whether it is so because MJD is better than Duratorque or not, but, as we all know, Ford Ka is a rebadged Fiat 500. It helps to contain the costs if they use the same engine across essentially the same platform.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Ford Ka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - This link confirms the same.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:42   #11
BHPian

The multijet in Palio and Indica shudders when idle.
Is it the same case with TDci also?

is it an unavoidable thing in small diesel engines?
Old 4th March 2010, 15:18   #12
BHPian

In my opinion, I feel the Multijets are more fuel efficient and a pack more torque than the Ford developed TDCI. Not a guru on diesel engines, but someone please correct me if I am wrong on this one.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The multijet in Palio and Indica shudders when idle.
Is it the same case with TDci also?

is it an unavoidable thing in small diesel engines?
Diesel engine clatter (higher sound emitted compared to Petrol) during idle is true for all Diesel engines irrespective of size or design. It is unavoidable. After a while of owning a Diesel car you would like hearing the same and feel something is missing in a petrol car.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

I guess only the VW group's Pump Deusse or PDI technology is slightly different to the CRDI technology. CRDI being better at insulating noise and vibrations. Experts your views please.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:04   #15
BHPian

Ford Duratorq: It's from the school of old tech. It is non-inter-cooled 8V SOHC engine.
DDiS (QJD/MJD): It's from the school of new tech. It's inter-cooled 16v DOHC engine.

Technically, DDiS is miles ahead of Duratorq, a engine that comes from Nizam's Era (1998). Duratorq is basically Euro III compaiant engine, and by adding diesel particulate filter, it is made to be EuroIV compaiant. Duratorq is not going to see the EuroV days. That's why ford was compelled to take MJD in their Ford Ka.
Edit:
Just found that ford is selling this engine only in developing countries.

Last edited by mohandas : 4th March 2010 at 16:09. Reason: some more info.
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks