Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 03:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Corolla key problem

I am left with only one key (With remote) for my Camry, I am planning to get a another for my Camry. I checked with Toyota dealer and he is asking for 10K for a replacement key (with remote), I asked for a key with remote and shockingly they don't give one.

Now, i am left with one key and buttons in the remote are in the stage of dying.

Can some one advise if some other company make duplicate key for Toyota immobilizer systems?? Have started a thread in the same topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...camry-key.html

Your response are highly appreciated.
Old 13th November 2019, 22:27   #32
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I'm bumping this old thread because I've been having trouble with my Toyota remote key from the same era as the original post.

I have a 2006 Innova which came with factory equipped remote central locking. The car came with three keys, two with the remote and one without the remote.

Over time, with use, the metal key broke off of the plastic housing, rendering the key unusable. So, I started using the second remote key which also broke in the same way after some years. Now I am using the third standard key but I miss the convenience of remote locking and unlocking.

So, I enquired the local dealer about getting replacement housings for the keys as their remote still functioned. The dealer informed me that I cannot get just the housing for the keys but they can order a new set of keys against my car's VIN which would cost around INR 16,000/-.

I did not want to spend so much for a new set of keys, so I looked online and bought an aftermarket housing with a blank key on amazon for only INR 350/-. Upon its arrival, I got the key cut at a local shop which has a specialized machine just for cutting duplicate keys. Then I put the old remote control unit into the new key. I also changed the batteries of both the remotes while they were out.

Now, here is where the trouble starts, I tried using my new key and the engine cranks but would not start. I tried with the old key and the engine starts just fine.

I guess that this might be caused by the immobiliser not recognizing the key but the remote unit is still the original one.
I have also tried some methods of pairing the new key which I read online but to no avail.

Can someone please help me figure out how can I get my car started using this "new" key?

Here is the picture of the "new" key.
Corolla key problem-img_20191113_214133.jpg

Corolla key problem-img_20191113_214204.jpg

And, here is the old remoteless key.

Thanks

Corolla key problem-img_20191113_214208.jpg
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 00:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
I'm bumping this old thread because I've been having trouble with my Toyota remote key from the same era as the original post.
Check if your old keys (with remote) has a small chip embedded into it.
If you find one, try to swap that into the new key fob. This should help to start your car.

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2019 at 00:45.
varun560061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 06:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Can someone please help me figure out how can I get my car started using this "new" key?
In most probability you have missed shifting the chip of the old key in to the new one and that's why your car is not starting. I had similar issue where in I made a flip key and the car would not start. I dumped the flip key in my cupboard for a few months. Later one fine day while replacing the battery of the old key I managed to completely open it up and found the chip. I stuck the chip to the new flip key via fevi kwik inside the housing and now the key works perfectly fine.

Here is the link

Last edited by navin : 6th December 2019 at 10:52.
scorpian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun560061 View Post
Check if your old keys (with remote) has a small chip embedded into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
In most probability you have missed shifting the chip of the old key in to the new one and that's why your car is not starting.
Thankyou so Much you guys! You really saved me on this one. I thought that the transponder chip was just a broken piece of plastic and had nearly thrown it away

Here is the chip
Corolla key problem-img_20191114_091222.jpg
and here it is setting neatly in a slot already made in the key.
Corolla key problem-img_20191114_091501.jpg

Thankyou so much guys!
Abhishek3001 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks