Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 16:54   #1
BHPian

Corolla key problem

Hi. I have been experiencing a problem with my Toyota Corolla. Customer service has not been very responsive either.

Brief Problem:
I have a Toyota Corolla H5 (highest variant) bought form LaKozy Toyota in March 2006. I was very happy with the car and was a satisfied customer until a few months ago.

One of the keys (the remote key) had started to wear off (the rubber buttons could not be pressed properly). Since the car was in a guarantee period, I sent all the 3 keys (remote, master, valet) to LaKozy Toyota and got them replaced.

After receiving the keys back, I used the car for some time until my remote key got misplaced. At that time when I tried, I couldn’t start the car with my Master key. So I registered a complaint with Customer Service; but in vain.

Only when I spoke to Customer Relations in Bangalore, some representatives of LaKozy Toyota attended me. They checked the car but failed to start it with the master or valet keys. They said they will check the problem and get back to me. After a week or so, I was told that the problem HAD DEVELOPED due the pressing of accelerator and break paddle which changed the coding in ECM and that the ECM and other costs are chargeable.

I am unable to understand why the car with original master key has to change or block ECM. And if has then it is a design fault. It has been over 2 months now and I have not received a satisfactory explanation in writing or solution from Toyota.

Have any Corolla owners come across a similar problem? Can anyone help me out as to what to do next. I am clueless.
Old 6th March 2010, 17:30   #2
BHPian

yes brake booster is the thing i had to replace and my problem came anytime even during high speed driving

i feel the engine immobiliser is active now a days the keys have inbuilt codes and your master key does not seem to be having correct code

what to do??????? if i was you i would have eaten head of Toyota service guys in 2 month time.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 09:39. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 6th March 2010, 18:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wrong Place - Should be in the Technical Section.

Toyota Keys have a tendency for the rubber to wear off.

I guess you should get all 3 keys and the immobiliser changed if it is still in warranty else you might have a problem even when the car is running. And sometimes even the central locking & power windows fail if you are sitting inside ( even worse ).

Get it looked after immediately.
Old 6th March 2010, 19:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

I guess you should get all 3 keys and the immobiliser changed if it is still in warranty else you might have a problem even when the car is running. And sometimes even the central locking & power windows fail if you are sitting inside ( even worse ).

well i have two Toyota keys with the same type of keys.
both have decent plastic quality keys.
The Camry key has been literally through hell (been dropped N number of times, dropped in water once!!) but it still works fine even after 3 years of proper use.
Old 6th March 2010, 20:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
I was told that the problem HAD DEVELOPED due the pressing of accelerator and break paddle which changed the coding in ECM and that the ECM and other costs are chargeable.
Wut did they exactly mean by that?
Old 6th March 2010, 23:18   #6
BHPian

my friend faced same problem.he waited for 6 months for key and charged 10k for it.
Old 7th March 2010, 08:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
well i have two Toyota keys with the same type of keys.
both have decent plastic quality keys.
The Camry key has been literally through hell (been dropped N number of times, dropped in water once!!) but it still works fine even after 3 years of proper use.
Well, I have a few Corolla's and Innova's in the family and friend circuit and as many times as I can remember I always have seen worn off keys.

Maybe it's only me. I simply love Toyota cars and think they are absolutely wonderful.

I could be wrong about the key's quality
Old 7th March 2010, 12:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
i feel the engine immobiliser is active now a days the keys have inbuilt codes and your master key does not seem to be having correct code
Quote:

When one of the key (remote) had started to wear off, and the car was still in the guarantee period, i got all the 3 keys replaced. But i think they did not update/replace the other 2 keys (master and valet). Hence that created the problem when i tried to start the car with these keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdocs View Post
Wut did they exactly mean by that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
my friend faced same problem.he waited for 6 months for key and charged 10k for it.
Exactly. I never expected such a lame answer from Toyota. And the worst part is they have told me that i will have to replace the ECM system which will cost me close to 40k.

Quote:
Sorry about that. Mods plz shift this to the right section.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:39   #9
BHPian

Latest development is that I got a call from Toyota customer service. They said that the total cost would work out to be 18k and that they were ready to bear the 2/3rd cost. I would have to bear 1/3rd. But I do not understand this concept of splitting the bill. I said I am ready to bear the full cost provided they prove it in writing that it was my mistake else I would not pay them a single penny. Honestly things are going very slow in spite of grilling the customer service regularly.
Does anyone have any contact details for Toyota Japan or any other higher person i can speak to here.
Old 11th March 2010, 21:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Latest development is that I got a call from Toyota customer service. They said that the total cost would work out to be 18k and that they were ready to bear the 2/3rd cost. I would have to bear 1/3rd. But I do not understand this concept of splitting the bill. I said I am ready to bear the full cost provided they prove it in writing that it was my mistake else I would not pay them a single penny. Honestly things are going very slow in spite of grilling the customer service regularly.
Does anyone have any contact details for Toyota Japan or any other higher person i can speak to here.
Wow! This is news to me. Toyota India is acting JUST as cagey and secretive as Toyota US. Are we going to get the same blind eye treatment too?
Old 12th March 2010, 00:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

This Corolla key nonsense is a problem I'm facing as well. Once one of my keys refused to start the car. Now since a really long time my boot doesn't open with one of the keys. Why can't they just make all keys the same instead of using their brains where it's not required?
Old 12th March 2010, 12:30   #12
BHPian

Just call TOI/ Aaj Tak saying Toyota is recalling cars in India for Keys problem. They will give breaking news. Tell Aaj Tak about how bad this problem is. Next day you will get free service.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:00   #13
BHPian

Good news! Toyota dealer finally agreed to solve the problem free of cost. The car was towed to the service station 2 days ago.
In the meanwhile I had written to Autocar India too about the problem. Maybe this helped.
But thanks everyone on this thread who helped me.
Will still keep you guys updated.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
Just call TOI/ Aaj Tak saying Toyota is recalling cars in India for Keys problem. They will give breaking news. Tell Aaj Tak about how bad this problem is. Next day you will get free service.
If you have some information on the details in terms of batch or year of manufacture or variants that are being recalled, could you pls provide them?

Congratulations @razrman; finally your patience has paid off; yes pls keep us posted (enlighten) us on the updates. Appreciate it.

Last edited by aargee : 22nd March 2010 at 19:38. Reason: thanking razrman
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:02   #15
BHPian

Guys I might need some help with a worn out master key for my 2003 Corolla. The A S S says it will take a month and 5k for a new key. Is there anything I can do about it?

The master key starts the car opens the boot but doesn't open the doors. Its not a big problem now since I use the remote to open it anyway but its scary when I can start the car and while the car is running I can remove the key from the slot and the car keeps running.

Help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks