Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2010, 21:58   #1
BHPian

M-800 Vibrating at high speeds

Gurus,

Need advice, My car - M800 has suddenly started vibrating at speeds of 120Kmph, earlier the car used to do constant 135Kmph easily without any vibrations.

Today I had the axle on the LHS changed, and after that as soon as I hit 120Kmph, car is vibrating as if there's a bubble in the tyre. Have checked the tyre but there are no bubbles.

Please advise.
Old 14th March 2010, 22:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

- The vibration is felt @ 120kph only or in a particular speed range ??
- What was the reason for axle change ? Wear & tear or did u hit something ?

PS: Doing constant 135kph in M800 is krazy
Old 14th March 2010, 22:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
- The vibration is felt @ 120kph only or in a particular speed range ??
- What was the reason for axle change ? Wear & tear or did u hit something ?

PS: Doing constant 135kph in M800 is krazy
Reason for change was wear and tear.
that's why am KrazyDriver, the car generally runs only at 120 and all.

Yeah the vibration is being felt after 120kph.
Old 14th March 2010, 23:11   #4
BHPian

Are you joking or serious? Please as a member of TBHP you should be more responsible while driving. Driving a M800 only at 120 kmph is not krazy!! is stupidity. Mods listening?
Old 14th March 2010, 23:42   #5
BHPian

135kmph! Do you have the 5 speed model?

The steering on my M800 vibrates between 85-90 kmph (it always has) but the vibrations are gone once I touch 100 kmph. The car has done 1.2L km's and has a new suspension, engine and tyres.
Old 14th March 2010, 23:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Main reason for this is bend rims or balancing/alignment problem.

BTW! don't drive maruti to that speed. Its crazy.
Old 15th March 2010, 08:58   #7
BHPian

@ Sir Alec: Thanks for the advice. I will get the rims checked and balancing/alignment done as well and also will adhere to your advice.

@ gaddiwale: the car is pushed to its limit only in an open track type area. The car also took part in the AutoCross 2010, and clocked in 3 rd fastest lap and qualified by just doing 1 lap in the 1100cc category.

@ CrackedHead: My steering nor the car never used to vibrate prior to yesterday. No I don't have the 5 speed model, its the 2003 MPFI. The car has done around 1.04L Kms till now. How much did the whole suspension change cost you? and what all did you change in the suspension overhaul?
Old 15th March 2010, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Main reason for this is bend rims or balancing/alignment problem.
I would strongly agree with this; I've experienced similar vibrations in my WagonR between 85-110 & after that the vibrations would stop; When checked for balancing/alignment problem & fixing it, the car was smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
BTW! don't drive maruti to that speed. Its crazy.
Again, I would agree here with SirAlec as it would be difficult to apply brakes & control the car from such high speeds; if you atleast had booster brakes, I would've not posted here.

I once had to drive my relative's M800 & those were the days I thought all Maruti's had same braking; I was using WagonR's braking style with M800 & saw a poor response (didn't know ordinary brakes will not have the same braking effect as that of cars with booster brakings) & innocently I took that car to MASS & told them it had poor braking, after all the job card & other things were opened I mentioned about the poor braking effect compared to WagonR; Fortunately, those guys explained to me the difference & were kind enough to close the job card without charging me ; I know they would've laughed out to hell after I left, but I learned something.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I would strongly agree with this; I've experienced similar vibrations in my WagonR between 85-110 & after that the vibrations would stop; When checked for balancing/alignment problem & fixing it, the car was smooth.

Again, I would agree here with SirAlec as it would be difficult to apply brakes & control the car from such high speeds; if you atleast had booster brakes, I would've not posted here.
Am gonna get the balancing and wheel alignment done today in the evening and get back to you all with a report.

As far as braking goes, have got the booster brakes installed. Although the booster brakes tend to lock up sometimes. Been driving the 800 for sometime now and got pretty used to the braking mechanism and its delay.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
As far as braking goes, have got the booster brakes installed. Although the booster brakes tend to lock up sometimes.
Boy, brakes getting locked up, sounds to me, isn't that more dangerous than having regular brakes?

Quote:
used to the braking mechanism and its delay.
- Exactly, this is what I experienced.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:09   #11
BHPian

Yeah the boosters have a nasty habit of locking up.

The normal brakes are far more better if you are used to it.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:31   #12
BHPian

Everyone has already chipped in with their respose on the steering vibration at high speeds and i agree that Wheel balancing of the front weels would do the trick.

Going at speeds above 100KM on a 800 is not advisable.

Quote:
Although the booster brakes tend to lock up sometimes.
Are you talking about wheels locking up or are you mentioning about the booster not properly functioning.

In case of wheels locking up, there is nothing much you can do as 800 brakes tend to lock up when you stand on the brakes. So its advisable to pump your breaks just to have some steering control during emergency situations. especially if you have a booster installed as a after market kit, you cannot do much.

In case of the booster brakes not working, I would say that this is a major cause of concern. Generally after market parts tends to do this. Better to get it checked for your insane speeds bro.

Drive safe and respect lifes of others on the road too .
Old 15th March 2010, 15:55   #13
BHPian

@ Elantra: I was talking about wheels locking up. and yes its a known problem, that's y i said that if you are used to braking in a 800, you will know the appropriate way to brake without locking up. As far as brakes not working, I think I wouldn't be posting here instead I'd be in the workshop getting it fixed.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:20   #14
BHPian

Hi Krazydriver: These vibrations show a typical wheel balancing issue, please take to a proper wheel balancing center / MASS, please also make sure that the wheels are balanced properly (reading zero) with necessary weights put on the rims as applicable. Vibrations should go away, otherwise please take it back to where you did the Axle changed to check any mechanical issue - hopefully should not
Old 15th March 2010, 17:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Hi Krazydriver: These vibrations show a typical wheel balancing issue, please take to a proper wheel balancing center / MASS, please also make sure that the wheels are balanced properly (reading zero) with necessary weights put on the rims as applicable. Vibrations should go away, otherwise please take it back to where you did the Axle changed to check any mechanical issue - hopefully should not
Thanks Narayang, am actually heading out now for wheel balancing. Hope this solves the problem.

Most Viewed