Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 15:21   #1
BHPian

Bubbling Battery

Hi all,
I need some help and advice.
The problem : I have a Jan 2006, Indica turbo. 36000 km done. The problem is that the air-con blower goes into 'turbo' blow mode in random spurts, the bulbs fuse in 30 to 45 days, and there are bubbles around the battery, also corrosion marks around the battery area caused due to spraying electrolyte from the battery.
I though it was the alternator playing up, But both Lucas and tata service have ruled it out and said the alternator is fine. Full load charging is 14 approx, but rock steady. The electrolyte level was checked and reduced to half, (not that it was over filled) yet the battery bubbles.
Where could the problem be? and what could it be? The battery is OEM exide, I have 90/100 philips bulbs with minda relays and cutouts. Also I hear a high pitched whine once I switch off the engine, which dies down in a couple of seconds.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks and regards
Shiv
Old 17th March 2010, 15:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Looks to me a case of battery getting overcharged, get the regulator function of alternator doubly checked for both voltage and current.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:52   #3
BANNED

Whatever the fellows may say, but the problem is definitely overcharging as has been rightly pointed out. Check out the wiring as well, esp. for a bad ground.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Strange. I just replied in another thread on a similar issue.

You have an intermittent overcharging issue. Check all connections, esp alternator/ voltage regulator grounds. If all OK, replace the voltage regulator.

I thought this problem had been sorted out.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th March 2010, 17:47   #5
BHPian

Strange, I had a similar problem in my Indigo Tdi a few days ago. It was coupled with problems like yours, ac and lights behaving intermittently and battery fluid spilling out.

Took it to a local mechanic and he diagnosed it to be a problem with the alternator cutoff. That was replaced and the car has been working fine for the last couple of days.
Old 18th March 2010, 22:28   #6
BHPian

Check the soldering.

I faced a similar problem in my Junkindica due to the use of 130/90 Philips rallye bulbs. The soldering pertaining to the voltage regulator came loose or rather dried out resulting in intermittent high voltage and consequent high amperage. Disassemble the alternator and ask the electronics guy to check for dry solder joints. Look up the net for dry solder joints and you will get my point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks