Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 23:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

I hope to revive this thread or suggest it be renamed as corolla owners forum. Got a lot of stuff to ask and tell. I too have bought a late 2004 H5, and there are issues. And the rear suspension is making nosies as though I am riding on tin sheets. Clutch is a bit hard, I don't feel it but most who drive tell me that. Guys help my out.
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

How much has your car done and are you the first/second/third etc owner ?
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I hope to revive this thread or suggest it be renamed as corolla owners forum. Got a lot of stuff to ask and tell. I too have bought a late 2004 H5, and there are issues. And the rear suspension is making nosies as though I am riding on tin sheets. Clutch is a bit hard, I don't feel it but most who drive tell me that. Guys help my out.
I agree. There's no Corolla owners or maintenance thread like there is with the Civic. That thread sees active participation whereas I hardly see any Corolla/Corolla Altis owners posting regularly. Makes me want to buy a Honda next time.

Did you buy your car 2nd hand..err pre-owned? If yes, was it checked by a competent technician or the Toyota dealer?

Cheers!
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:35   #34
BHPian

First thanks a ton guys for responding.

@esteem_lover: My car had done 76K when I bought it 2 months back, and now it has done 78716. I am the 3rd owner.

@R2D2: It was bought through my cousin who is a dealer and also owns and runs a car (modern) workshop in semi-urban town, nevertheless that town has some German cars too, and plenty of Skodas. It was verified by him and for the cost I got it for was a bargain deal at Rs. 3.75 for a Nov 2004 mfg Corolla H5 (reg. in Feb 2005). Not a very clean car body wise, but mechanically sound engine, but since it has run on poor roads, the rear suspension sounds like a tin sheet when ever it goes on a very rough patch, and I can feel every stone under every wheel. Clutch is a bit hard, though I never felt that. Since my dad has a 2003 H2 Corolla that has done 122K. He bought it in 2008 when it had done 98K, the clutch feels the same from then to now in his car, and similar is the clutch feel in my car too. His car Suspension though does not make sounds that would bother me, not at last like the sounds mine makes. And my car nose dives a bit on high speed breaking.

We really need a dedicated thread for Corolla owners. There is so much to this car than most would think otherwise. In my opinion its a far better all-rounder than the Civic, the GC is better, power is similar, looks- yes may look like a thinking mans car, does the job of a family man in the week, but never shy of the track in the weekends.
Thanks again guys.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@esteem_lover: My car had done 76K when I bought it 2 months back, and now it has done 78716. I am the 3rd owner.
Are you sure about the mileage ? Mostly 2nd or 3rd owner (sometimes even single owner) cars do not show genuine mileage. I know a friend who bought a 2004 corolla at 68k kms and has done 102k kms and still has no problems with his clutch.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you sure about the mileage ? Mostly 2nd or 3rd owner (sometimes even single owner) cars do not show genuine mileage. I know a friend who bought a 2004 corolla at 68k kms and has done 102k kms and still has no problems with his clutch.
This car was was traded by my cousin earlier also, the previous owner had also bought this car from him about 2-3 years back. Though there is no service history since the car was used in a place where there is no Toyota A S S, and it was serviced at my cousin's workshop for about 3 services, and in a semi-urban town a Corolla owner is a big man, and he would not bother to do that on his own, only the brokers do that everywhere, the broker is my cousin here so, nevertheless I am sure the mileage on the odo is genuine.

About the clutch my cousin's opinion is that the Corolla clutch feels a little hard compared to other cars, is that true? I want to believe him as my own personal first hand experience from my dad's car is exactly as you said, like your friend's car, even when my dad bought it had run 98 K, and now it is 122K, the clutch feel is the very same and constant, which is a bit hard, and he finds no problem with the clutch whatsoever. And that car is with full service history. Even my car effortlessly goes up to 160km|hr, so I guess the clutch is fine, but please do ask your friend's opinion on this. And I will be glad to get inputs on the suspension if any.
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
About the clutch my cousin's opinion is that the Corolla clutch feels a little hard compared to other cars, is that true? . And I will be glad to get inputs on the suspension if any.
Yeah its true, not only Corolla even my Camry Clutch feels hard. I took a test drive of a brand new Altis and Camry and both had hard clutches, I was told Toyota Clutch will be little hard compared to other cars. Someone can throw some light on this.

2004 model had issue with suspension and it was mainly attributed by heightening the car to fit India road condition which adversely impacted the ride and caused uneven wear in tire. I don't think so there is any remedy for it as I earlier owned a 2003 model which had similar issue
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Yeah its true, not only Corolla even my Camry Clutch feels hard. I took a test drive of a brand new Altis and Camry and both had hard clutches, I was told Toyota Clutch will be little hard compared to other cars. Someone can throw some light on this.

That was a big relief actually, so the clutch is fine, just wanted that reinforcement to my belief. Even my 1997 Astra clutch was at least 5 times more harder that the Corolla, but I knew it came that way.

2004 model had issue with suspension and it was mainly attributed by heightening the car to fit India road condition which adversely impacted the ride and caused uneven wear in tire. I don't think so there is any remedy for it as I earlier owned a 2003 model which had similar issue
I guess I am going to use it till it becomes unbearable. But someone can throw some light on what is the actual company manual change time for the suspension.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 08:58   #39
AWD
BHPian

The earlier model Corollas suspension must have been among the worst in Country on any vehicle. Toyota tried improving in 05 but failed. I got the 05 mods on my car but didn't help.
Clutch is also hard as mentioned by others. Actually if you are looking for Honda type finesse/light controls, you'd be dissapointed.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 19:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
The earlier model Corollas suspension must have been among the worst in Country on any vehicle. Toyota tried improving in 05 but failed. I got the 05 mods on my car but didn't help.
Clutch is also hard as mentioned by others. Actually if you are looking for Honda type finesse/light controls, you'd be dissapointed.
@AWD: You are so right, finesse/light controls not there. But nonetheless this car even with a faulty suspension still gives you that peace of mind on bad roads cos of its enormous GC.

How much has your car clocked? Any work you had done on your car after 75K kms? Your inputs will be extremely helpful.

Also I want to know if you here any sounds in your Corolla from the rear suspension when going on a rough patch or gravel (as if you are riding on a tin sheet?, cos I get that on my car!)
Old 4th February 2011, 19:58   #41
AWD
BHPian

To tell the truth, I could never get happy with the car, just that I had to live with it because I had committed the grave mistake of buying it. Its no good a car, controls are not light enough, engine is noisy, ergonomics not satisfactory, FE not upto the mark, above all the poor suspension setup.
Yes, the cars suspension makes lot of noises as if broken from day one while going over bumps, potholes, speedbreakers.

I do not stand by the reliability factor too, build quality is flimsy, power windows jamming is common, so are rattles & squeaks. Horn & music system are of pathetic quality, mine failed no. of times.

Thought of getting rid of the car many a times but somehow retained it. Now target is to do full decade with it! Just 3 more years to go!

PS: Im very candid & straightforward with my observations. Not like many who keep on prasing their poor rides just because they made the choice of buying them!

Edit: The car also did not have ABS which was a serious omission because braking is poor. To top it all, the car lacks any flair & is boring to the core, I probably went mad while making its purchase!

Last edited by AWD : 4th February 2011 at 20:04.
AWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 22:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
To tell the truth, I could never get happy with the car, just that I had to live with it because I had committed the grave mistake of buying it. Its no good a car, controls are not light enough, engine is noisy, ergonomics not satisfactory, FE not upto the mark, above all the poor suspension setup.
Yes, the cars suspension makes lot of noises as if broken from day one while going over bumps, potholes, speedbreakers.

I do not stand by the reliability factor too, build quality is flimsy, power windows jamming is common, so are rattles & squeaks. Horn & music system are of pathetic quality, mine failed no. of times.

Thought of getting rid of the car many a times but somehow retained it. Now target is to do full decade with it! Just 3 more years to go!

PS: Im very candid & straightforward with my observations. Not like many who keep on prasing their poor rides just because they made the choice of buying them!

Edit: The car also did not have ABS which was a serious omission because braking is poor. To top it all, the car lacks any flair & is boring to the core, I probably went mad while making its purchase!
I can understand that, you have not even mentioned it as part of your garage. I am sure you must have clocked some serious miles on this car, would really appreciate if you could share with me the maintenance issues and how you have dealt with it. But I know this is not a car that would ever be a buy from the heart, seriously what were you thinking?
Old 4th February 2011, 22:19   #43
AWD
BHPian

I decided to sell off the car just as I bought it & then numerous times later but as fate would have it! Did not sell it initially because once out of showroom, huge loss would have been incurred. I bought it for a 5yr period but after 5yrs when I put it up for sale, the depreciation was huge, so decided to use it for some more time. Now as its in its 7th year, I would keep it for a full decade & then decide what to do.

On why I bought it in the first place, I needed a fast, really fast car & as an upgrade to my Honda City 1.5L. Back in 04, there weren't many options either. One had to choose between Corolla, Elantra or Octy in this segment. Skoda did not have a dealership in City, so crossed it out, Elantra never appealed to me. Wanted to go in for Accord but had a bitter experience with local Honda dealership(monopoly). Was in a hurry too & must confess that fell in for Toyota's global name.

Once I had the car, realized within no time that I made a wrong choice as the product turned out to be just name & nothing else but alas it was too late by then!

I've done 65k on the car, its low because I don't like it driving it much rather use my other rides more often. Even like taking my good old 800 out more than this! Pointed out the faulty suspension to Toyota very early but they had no answers. Then coaxed them for upgrades in 05, which the new Corolla came with. Still it did not work. The front seat was short on legroom for me(built for small bodied Japs), so carried a mod myself. Later Toyotas servicing did not impress either, now get it serviced from outside at lower cost & more satisfaction.

Last edited by AWD : 4th February 2011 at 22:24.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 22:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I decided to sell off the car just as I bought it & then numerous times later but as fate would have it! Did not sell it initially because once out of showroom, huge loss would have been incurred. I bought it for a 5yr period but after 5yrs when I put it up for sale, the depreciation was huge, so decided to use it for some more time. Now as its in its 7th year, I would keep it for a full decade & then decide what to do.

On why I bought it in the first place, I needed a fast, really fast car & as an upgrade to my Honda City 1.5L. Back in 04, there weren't many options either. One had to choose between Corolla, Elantra or Octy in this segment. Skoda did not have a dealership in City, so crossed it out, Elantra never appealed to me. Wanted to go in for Accord but had a bitter experience with local Honda dealership(monopoly). Was in a hurry too & must confess that fell in for Toyota's global name.

Once I had the car, realized within no time that I made a wrong choice as the product turned out to be just name & nothing else but alas it was too late by then!

I've done 65k on the car, its low because I don't like it driving it much rather use my other rides more often. Even like taking my good old 800 out more than this! Pointed out the faulty suspension to Toyota very early but they had no answers. Then coaxed them for upgrades in 05, which the new Corolla came with. Still it did not work. The front seat was short on legroom for me(built for small bodied Japs), so carried a mod myself. Later Toyotas servicing did not impress either, now get it serviced from outside at lower cost & more satisfaction.
This car became popular and so synonymous for, 'boss is in the back seat' expression I would say, rarely seen a self driven one. Nevertheless, I am at a stage in my profession where I needed that 'status' car and could not afford a new (if I could, I would have bought a Civic). I have planed to keep this car for another 3-4 years only at the most. And I really don't care what it will sell for, while I plan to graduate to 3 series or may be 5 . Also my primary concern for the moment was to give that boost to my professional image after shifting from a Santro (I did have an Astra, but was not using it for the office runs, and I don't have to tell you why )

My suggestion, use it as extensively as possible with a driver doing the job for you and everyone in the house, and it is easier to do that if you have a large family. In any case you will get peanuts if you sell it now, or even after 3 more years, not much difference there.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:55   #45
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion, use it as extensively as possible with a driver doing the job for you and everyone in the house, and it is easier to do that if you have a large family. In any case you will get peanuts if you sell it now, or even after 3 more years, not much difference there.
Right suggestion but I drive my car myself. Driver can lay hands on only 800 & sometimes Swift. I drive with a heavy foot & Corollas FE takes a big dip, this is why I don't like using it extensively.

After 10yrs of ownership, I won't mind the resale even if it were to be peanuts. A concern though is, I may get too attached & want to keep it forever!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks