Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 16:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

You are welcome nfsfreak.

In case of our Indigo, I got the Wheel Bearings replaced alone. No need of replacing Full Hub Units. So I thought Corolla might have identical setup.

EDIT: -
I am aware that I have posted a One Liner. If Mods think it is against rule of T-Bhp, please delete this post.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 8th April 2013 at 16:39.
Old 21st April 2013, 00:35   #62
BHPian

Hi Everybody,

My Corolla is a 2006 H2 model, done about 63K km.

This week, have noticed a squeeking sound coming from the front right side (the kind of sound that comes if you press the baby toys where you blow air and they make noise). This squeeking sound comes up on crossing a speed breaker or a pot hole or even a mild undulation on the road surface hitting the right side front tyre.

Went to the service center, they checked up everything and said they are unable to find any obvious problem and will try next by fitting a replacement shock absorber to see if the sound goes away. They checked the ball bearings, the front wheel disk and even the axle but have not identified any issue causing the noise. I did not want to leave the car over the weekend as I am tied up and cannot visit the serivce center on Monday, so got the car back with me. Have been told, its ok to drive the car except the noise is there.

Any advise from Corolla owners on what this should could be and the possible remedy ?

thanks,
Old 21st April 2013, 00:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Hi Everybody,

My Corolla is a 2006 H2 model, done about 63K km.

This week, have noticed a squeeking sound coming from the front right side (the kind of sound that comes if you press the baby toys where you blow air and they make noise). This squeeking sound comes up on crossing a speed breaker or a pot hole or even a mild undulation on the road surface hitting the right side front tyre.
Did they retorque and spray the suspension, after which you have driven around to see if the noise comes again ? Many times, a bolt maybe a bit loose ? Did they say the struts are ok ?
Old 21st April 2013, 01:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Did they retorque and spray the suspension, after which you have driven around to see if the noise comes again ? Many times, a bolt maybe a bit loose ? Did they say the struts are ok ?
Not sure of this. The senior technician said that they have inspected the shock absorber, ball bearings, front disk, axle and did not find anything wrong. As next step, they had wanted to investigate by putting a replacement shoc absorber to see if the squeek goes away. I could not leave the car through the weekend, so got it back.

when I go back again, i'll ask about the struts - frankly, i wasn't aware of struts here and what they do, so did not check.
Old 21st April 2013, 01:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure of this. The senior technician said that they have inspected the shock absorber, ball bearings, front disk, axle and did not find anything wrong. As next step, they had wanted to investigate by putting a replacement shoc absorber to see if the squeek goes away. I could not leave the car through the weekend, so got it back.

when I go back again, i'll ask about the struts - frankly, i wasn't aware of struts here and what they do, so did not check.
Well, shock absorbers == struts ... A few times in my car, squeaky noises came from the need to tighten up bolts on the suspension and/or spray on the rubber bushings etc.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:14   #66
BHPian

Hi Subburp
I never experienced anything like that but the Corolla suspension is noisy and softly sprung and there is a lot of movement in it and tightening every nut in it will really help or just remove struts and refitting it will also help. Do not let the TASS do the change with new part just to see if it make that noise but actually its a trick and you will end up changing the part simply because 90% chances the noise will stop and invariably it is because of refitting it and not because of any bad part. Go to an outside garage for this job, ask them to just remove, grease it and refit it. And do not tell them about your problem. Mostly the noise will be gone. Even otherwise its worth a try.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:50   #67
BHPian

The squeaky noise has disappeared by itself starting last evening. On Saturday, the service center had tried to investigate the issue which involved removing and refitting everything back. However, the squeaky noise had persisted when I tested/ drove back. After a bit of a run, it seems to have got better. Let me hope it stays that way. Thanks a lot on the advise to stay put and not change the parts in a hurry.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
The squeaky noise has disappeared by itself starting last evening. On Saturday, the service center had tried to investigate the issue which involved removing and refitting everything back. However, the squeaky noise had persisted when I tested/ drove back. After a bit of a run, it seems to have got better.
Update: The issue has not recurred, so it looks to have been a minor issue that got resolved through a removal and refitting exercise. Appreciate the service advisors intent to first try this approach and not start recommending replacement of parts at the outset.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 17:11   #69
BHPian

My Dad drives a 2003 Corolla which has done 1.55 as on date, and touch-wood still as fresh as half life. Lately [from last 7000kms or so] he complained that there is a faint 'klink-ing' noise coming from the rear left side [suspension]. The T.A.S.S guy is suspecting that the stabilizer bar may need replacement, I am completely blank here, need your help Guys.
Old 17th August 2013, 17:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
The T.A.S.S guy is suspecting that the stabilizer bar may need replacement, I am completely blank here, need your help Guys.
Most likely, the T.A.S.S. guys will be correct. Usually that sound is from the stabilizer bar. Of course, there are a lot more causes as well, but stabilizer bar is usually the most common culprit.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 23:08   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
My Dad drives a 2003 Corolla . Lately [from last 7000kms or so] he complained that there is a faint 'klink-ing' noise coming from the rear left side [suspension].
Please have the rear shock absorbers inspected for a oil leak.

I have faced this issue in both Corollas I have owned (a 2003 and another 2005) and am in the process of getting this issue resolved.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 12:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ got the rear struts removed ; oil in both had leaked out.

replaced the strut kits and the shock absorbers and all the noise is gone

The kit is available separately and costs approx INR600 for a set -
  1. a rubber pad which is sandwiched between the spring and the strut cap
  2. a plastic cylindrical cover with a rubber locking bush , and
  3. a steel cap into which #2 is locked .
the "kling kling" noise is typically because of the loose plastic cylindrical cover caused by a worn out rubber bush
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 21:46   #73
BHPian

I have had issues with both front shock absorbers post crossing 60K (Corolla H2-2006 model, currently at 68000Km).

Left shock absorber was replaced in Nov-2012. On a regular check-up in Dec-2013, service technician at Toyota noticed that there is a minor leak on this one (one can touch the shocks and feel this). However, I cannot feel any problems while driving, all looks and feels good.
I am amazed that a 1 year old part from Toyota has gone bad in about 8K of city driving (haven't been out in the last year). Apparently warranty is for 6 months only. The technician advised me to run this further and revert if there are any noises or once I drive another 3000-4000 KM/ 3 months whichever is earlier. I do not have confidence in another replacement as the existing part is hardly an year old.

Have been told that if this is not fixed, the ride will get stiffer and stiffer as go along as the shock absorber will not work and the coil spring (surrounding the shock absorber) is solely taking care of absorbing the shocks/ undulations on the road.

The right suspension started squeeking in April, and had posted my experiences in an earlier post on this thread (was just removed and fitted back again) - all is well on that front since then.

thanks,
subbarp

Last edited by subbarp : 21st December 2013 at 21:51. Reason: making text more precise
Old 5th October 2016, 13:45   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Please have the rear shock absorbers inspected for a oil leak.

I have faced this issue in both Corollas I have owned (a 2003 and another 2005) and am in the process of getting this issue resolved.
Have the exact problem in the same rear left wheel. Wasn't there when inspecting the car upon a test drive (albeit a short one). Has surfaced on a vigorous test drive. Will get it checked at TASS on kanakpura road.
Old 18th October 2016, 16:27   #75
BHPian

Gosh!

Where was this thread when I was looking to get some information when I was in the market for a Toyota Corolla.

My father had a 2004 Toyota Corolla which was used by different drivers every week and the last time I checked before the car was taken off duty, the car had clocked close to 225,000/- kms.
The reliability of the car was not in question because of the following reasons.

1. Toyota Corolla, the most sold car in the world.
2. Taxi Drivers all over the world swear by it. They'd bet their lives on this thing.
3. Example right in front of me, my father's car (yellow plate) had clocked 225,000 kms and the car looked strong.

After being confused between a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla, I got my self the later one which was a 2005 with 94k on the clock. With an elaborate service history.

There are a few problems I have with the car. Which I was unaware of. Mainly because I am not as rich as my dad and he had his car used for a different purpose than mine.

1. Fuel Efficiency. This thing is a guzzler. I travel in traffic most of the time of the day. And I will have to apply for a loan just to fill up! That is why I have installed Bio-fuel CNG in my car so I can save on my running costs.

2. Driving position. I am 5'8". If I sit with my wrist touching the top of the steering (the norm), my legs keep hitting the bottom of the steering. If I raise the steering to avoid that, my wrist no longer reaches perfectly increasing the reach to the steering. If I sit slightly further away, I fear clutch not engaging completely (I can sometimes feel it on the shift stick).

What I don't understand is that they can give you retractable mirrors, climate control, ABS, Airbags, Steering height adjustment but NO fore-aft adjustment to it! Why Toyota Why? That would solve the problem with the driving posture with an average height!

3. Suspension. The talk of the hour, actually since this thread started. since 2010 IIRC. Every time I happen to hit a pothole, messed up patches of roads, I fear I might end up breaking something in there. I guess the only solution is changing the tie-rod, ball joint and lower arm bushes (OEM) which will give me peace of mind atleast for another 40k kms. After driving another Corolla with this work done just a week ago, I could not feel a big difference. It still made the thud noise in a pothole.

4. Rattles. The door rattles every time I up the bass a little bit. But I am sure that can be taking care of by using dumper kits. The engine rattles because of CNG and my feather-like touch on the throttle is another reason to it. But I cannot rev it too much because of a heavy fly-wheel. The revs don't drop as quickly as you want them to.

5. Hydraulic Steering. Why??

But after a lot of after-thought and understanding of the car, its problems and solutions, I have understood that its the kind of a car that will keep on doing the job. It won't stop. But it will deteriorate with time and usage. It will never give up on you. Maybe not do things like how I want it to, flawlessly, but will do the job. Maybe that is why its the world's most sold car. But I can tell you this, its definitely not helping someone with an OCD for unnecessary noiseless working.

Any questions, please shoot up. I may not know it all, but problem solving is easier with problem sharing on a common platform.

DM99

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks