Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:26   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Finally got it fixed!

Went to a different A.S.S (Concorde) early in the morning. Got hold of the first service advisor to walk in, and explained the whole problem. He too found it weird that the engine stays at zero temp.

It turned out to be a faulty temperature sensor. Got it replaced. Cost me Rs.400 (200 for the sensor, 200 for labour). The whole thing took around 4 hours (this is very less time at Concorde, usually). But at least they got it fixed!

On the way back, tried driving the car both with and without AC. The needle behaves normally now (goes up to the halfway mark).

Thanks much, everyone!
Its good that they finally solved the problem. While you were there you should have asked for the service advisor who had initially told everything was normal, and given him left and right about his eligibility to be a service advisor.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Its good that they finally solved the problem. While you were there you should have asked for the service advisor who had initially told everything was normal, and given him left and right about his eligibility to be a service advisor.
That service advisor was in a different TASS. If I hadn't gone for a second opinion from Concorde as aargee had suggested, I would still be left doing this: .

In fact, that service advisor called me when I was in the waiting room of Concorde this morning, and asked me if there is any problem with the car! (because yesterday evening I had got a feedback call from that TASS and I had explained what had happened). I told him, yes of course I have problems and I talked to you about it for a long time but you keep saying the same thing again and again that it is "normal", and I don't think there is any use explaining the problem to you. I once again asked him, have you seen ANY car in your life, which shows zero engine heat after 500kms continuous driving? He STILL said that he is SURE that it is normal. I really didn't feel like wasting any more time talking to him, so I just ended the call.

Lesson for the day: Concorde despite the govt. office-like atmosphere, lack of responsiveness, no pick up & drop, still seems to be the best TASS - at least they don't create new issues with the vehicle, and they are able to diagnose the problem.

Lesson for lifetime: Tata cars are best suited for cab drivers, not because of the cars themselves, but because of the service centers. I am moving to India's Toyota (Maruti) or India's Honda (Hyundai) pretty soon.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lesson for lifetime: Tata cars are best suited for cab drivers, not because of the cars themselves, but because of the service centers. I am moving to India's Toyota (Maruti) or India's Honda (Hyundai) pretty soon.
Trust me things are no better atleast at Maruti my personal experience from multiple M.A.S.S in 4 different cities in 3 states.

The problem lies with our society in general workers are never consumer of the goods and services they produce so a S.A is supposed to repair cars but he never owns and uses one so does not understand the pain points. This is true for other industries such as construction as well workers live in mud houses so they never understand why owner is so finicky about fit and finish.

Mostly S.A are people from not so privilege backgrounds who do ITI diploma and get a job as soon as they have more experience they jump jobs to better paying options or start their own roadside outfit.

And yes Concord is one of the best T.A.S.S.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

@Rahushank84 - Glad to hear the problem being resolved & all the more the culprit was the fuel guage; Tata (in a way Bajaj too), IMO, has a very good engineering & best VFM but their problem is presentation; its like eating a food at Saravana Bhavan served in a damaged aluminium plate.

But here's a question to you from one of your earlier post
Quote:
After coming back to office, stopped the car and opened the bonnet. Again was surprised to see no perceptible heat (didn't touch anything, though). But usually, the bonnet itself would be very hot to touch, which it wasn't.
If the guage is at fault it doesn't rise which is understandable, but how about the bonnet? BTW, how many Kms did you drive from office to test this?
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Rahushank84 - Glad to hear the problem being resolved & all the more the culprit was the fuel guage; Tata (in a way Bajaj too), IMO, has a very good engineering & best VFM but their problem is presentation; its like eating a food at Saravana Bhavan served in a damaged aluminium plate.

But here's a question to you from one of your earlier post

If the guage is at fault it doesn't rise which is understandable, but how about the bonnet? BTW, how many Kms did you drive from office to test this?
Yes, I completely agree with the Saravana Bhavan analogy!

Not sure why I didn't feel heat on the bonnet. I drove out around six kilometers (return included). But more importantly, I had idled it for some 15 mins.

Actually, I am not sure if it could have been just temperature sensor, because Check Engine light never came on. Secondly, if temp sensor alone is at fault, then how come the difference between AC and non-AC conditions? But that is all the A.S.S would tell me, that it is sensor problem and that it has been fixed.

However, I tested extensively with both AC and non-AC after office hours today (around 20 kms). In both cases, it heats up to halfway mark (very slightly more than halfway mark, very slightly) and then starts cooling. Just as it was before.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:06   #36
BHPian

Re: Indica Xeta - temp gauge needle stays at zero

I too drive an Indica xeta. Since about a week, am observing that my temparature gauge needle stays at zero mark,despite driving through bumper to bumper traffic. The radiator fan comes on and goes off as it behaved earlier ,no engine check light- still the gauge needle doesn't move.
I suspected the sensor problem even before reading this thread ,but if sensor is conked off, why doesn't ECU identify it and lit engine check light?
And the radiator fan is working fine.
I should admit I didn't try the trick of running with a/c off to see if the needle picks up temperature.

I wish to take it to nearest T.A.S.S. tomorrow to see what they are going to say about this. Concorde is at least 1 hr drive away.

Old 14th October 2011, 12:13   #37
BHPian

Re: Indica Xeta - Engine stays at zero heat

Last week, while cleaning the car, I had cleaned it under the hood too. Dusted off and cleaned with a moist clothe - so its possible that I may have knocked off a sensor connection or some electrical connection which should be feeding temp info. So, bhpians if some one can guide me about the locations of sensors in the engine it would be very helpful to shed more light on the issue.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:55   #38
BHPian

Re: Indica Xeta - temp gauge needle stays at zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I too drive an Indica xeta. Since about a week, am observing that my temparature gauge needle stays at zero mark,despite driving through bumper to bumper traffic. The radiator fan comes on and goes off as it behaved earlier ,no engine check light- still the gauge needle doesn't move.
I suspected the sensor problem even before reading this thread ,but if sensor is conked off, why doesn't ECU identify it and lit engine check light?
And the radiator fan is working fine.
I should admit I didn't try the trick of running with a/c off to see if the needle picks up temperature.

I wish to take it to nearest T.A.S.S. tomorrow to see what they are going to say about this. Concorde is at least 1 hr drive away.

Had the same prob with my m800 1997 the fan would start but needle would not rise , the electrician checked something called the T which was ok then connected the battery to the needle directly and it did not rise so deduced temp guage had to be replaced . In the 800 the temp and fuel guage come together so replaced the unit voila! all ok . Just my 2 Bits.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:48   #39
BHPian

I've driven my sister's XETA LPG extensiveley in Kolkata and my experience is the same (whetehr on LPG or petrol).

I'm a little surprised when you say the needle always goes to the halfway mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
I too own a Xeta since 2 years , but temperature needle is always at 1/2 way mark say about 15 minutes of driving in city traffic. But surprisingly when AC is switched on it is at about 1/4 mark. It never comes down to 0 till it is switched off.
Old 28th February 2012, 13:13   #40
BHPian

Just came across this thread. My Xeta , 4 yrs , 30 K , the temperature needle is always at Zero with AC on. When the AC is switched off the needle moves. I have got used to this and did not feel the need to change.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It could also be a problem with the thermostat.
Shan2nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I believe your thermostat valve has been removed by an idiotic overzealous mechanic.
I have exact same problem in my 78k km's old Tata Manza Diesel. Thermostat valve is stuck open or is removed from the car as long back my car was fixed for a faulty temprature sensor at TASS. I know it's most likely the thermostat valve as in north morning winters (temp ~5-8'C) it takes 12-15 km's for the temp needle to budge from bottom and it never reaches optimum temp position unless I get stuck in a bumper to bumper jam. If after the jam I hit clear road and drive at speed of 50/60 kmph, temp needle again falls back as the extremely cold air hitting the radiator is good enough to cool things down. For a morning highway drive, it takes forever for engine to warm up. I am aware of the solution to this problem but I have a different question.

To get this fixed, if I wait till 80k km's service which will be in 1 month from now, am I causing much higher engine wear and tear due to this? As of now there does not seem to be any problem except for delayed/ less than optimal warm up of the car. Mileage has not dropped, but I am worried of sub optimal combustion leading to excessive carbon deposits. BTW my car runs on 5W40 grade oil so logically it should offer better protection at cold. Unfortunately next 2k km's and 1 month is the time when it's extremely cold in here and I want to avoid a visit to a TASS/ FNG before 80k service.

Please suggest.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Please suggest.
I would say, get it looked into ASAP. If you are out of warranty, a good FNG can do it for you pretty quickly. Else a trip to a Tata ASC is probably unavoidable, but you ought to get it done for free.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th December 2012 at 11:16.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 12:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I would say, get it looked into ASAP. If you are out of warranty, a good FNG can do it for you pretty quickly. Else a trip to a Tata ASC is probably unavoidable, but you ought to get it done for free.
Thanks Doc. Due to pressing priorities I had to attend to this during 80k km service only.

Thermostat valve was replaced yesterday within extended warranty. I thought of this as a simple mechanical part but the one in Manza was quite complex mechanical + electrical unit with thermostat valve, by pass valve and temperature sensor etc all built in the elbow housing. Cost was rs.3,000 including rs.200 labor (covered in EW). Temp reading on valve was 88'C.

It was quite hard to reach and needed opening up of battery, coolant tank, ECU etc to get to it. Took about 3 hours to open and refit and surprisingly Tata only charges rs.168+tax to do this work (was in warranty for me).

As always, thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 25th January 2013 at 13:00.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 20:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Even my 2007 Marina Dicor at times gives faulty temp readings. This started about a year back when the temp sensor was replaced. Why I dont know because my driver got it done when apparently the car had no temp issues. No w a days at times the temp needle rises to the usual half way mark and at times it just doesn't move at all. Shall get the sensor checked and replaced at the looming 70,000 km service.

Most Viewed