Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 23:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

It could also be a problem with the thermostat. Get it checked, just to be sure.

Shan2nu
Old 18th March 2010, 23:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It could also be a problem with the thermostat.
I believe your thermostat valve has been removed by an idiotic overzealous mechanic. Please check and get it replaced if it is missing.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Update: Tried driving the car continuously for 500km today, to see whether there are any problems. (Incidentally made use of this opportunity to visit a relatives in Ambattur and make a trip to Tiruvannamalai and back).

The car ran perfectly fine, pickup was normal, FE was the usual 13 to 14kmpl.

However, the temp needle stayed at zero THROUGHOUT the trip.

Almost the whole trip was WITH AC, and the temp needle stayed zero. At the end (last 20km on the way back) it got too chill and my wife asked me to switch off the AC. Then the temp needle creeped up to the quarter way mark. I tried an experiment, just kept the blowers on and it stayed in quarter mark. Switched on AC and voila, it came BACK TO ZERO again. How come my AC is cooling the engine????

Somehow my temp needle is puzzlingly connected to the AC . I'm toying with the idea of blasting the A.S.S guy versus going to a different A.S.S. Maybe both.

On a side note (rant): I am DONE with Tata Motors! It is not their cars at fault, it is their lack of expertise to fix problems, or rather service a car without creating new problems (that too, regular service). Dunno when my boss is going to get sick of me taking one-hour permissions on weekdays, to go to the service center - and my car is becoming the latest office joke! "Please excuse Nat from the meeting. He is probably still getting his car fixed!". And I am not at all inclined to study automobile engineering just to drive a normal petrol car.

Started figuring out in my head how much it would take to get this car (and its loan) off my back - obviosuly its loan outstanding is more than its resale value - and get something from Maruti. So much for being loyal to an Indian brand.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 20th March 2010 at 20:47. Reason: minor addition
Old 20th March 2010, 23:31   #19
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Switched on AC and voila, it came BACK TO ZERO again. How come my AC is cooling the engine????

Somehow my temp needle is puzzlingly connected to the AC ..
When the AC compressor turns on both the radiator fan and condenser fan turn on which is why the temp needle drops.

please get the thermostat checked as it may be stuck open or may have been removed
Old 21st March 2010, 08:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a side note (rant): I am DONE with Tata Motors! It is not their cars at fault, it is their lack of expertise to fix problems, or rather service a car without creating new problems (that too, regular service). Dunno when my boss is going to get sick of me taking one-hour permissions on weekdays, to go to the service center - and my car is becoming the latest office joke! "Please excuse Nat from the meeting. He is probably still getting his car fixed!". And I am not at all inclined to study automobile engineering just to drive a normal petrol car.

Started figuring out in my head how much it would take to get this car (and its loan) off my back - obviosuly its loan outstanding is more than its resale value - and get something from Maruti. So much for being loyal to an Indian brand.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out.
Ha ha ha. I've suffered more of the same . you can read more about it here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-18-a-18.html
I've become fairly good at diagnosis myself. And as regards the car needing repairs & getting a reputation for myself at the office, I find it very useful . others disappear early /arrive late excusing themselves that they had to take their wife/spouse to xyz place to do abc. Being single and mostly irresponsible, i didnt have any of these to claim as excuses. Now my car has become a very valid one . Now if i just say my car had... my manager will say 'I understand', and that's the end of that !

nobody in my office is going to buy a tata car though
Old 21st March 2010, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn: sorry to hear about your experiences with TASS. reminds me of last year i kept getting "Check Engine" lights, and the TASS guys would just delete the error from the log and say it is gone! I had to shout and make a scene in the TASS, before they fixed it . Looks like I have to do that again - not at all looking forward to it, because that is not the way I am used to dealing with people and I am not good at it at all!

The saddest part is that the cars are actually good. It is these jackasses working for TASS who sc*ew up the car when giving it for routine service.

Maybe we should consolidate these experiences and boycott TATA like we are boycotting Skoda.

Old 21st March 2010, 11:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
When the AC compressor turns on both the radiator fan and condenser fan turn on which is why the temp needle drops.

please get the thermostat checked as it may be stuck open or may have been removed
Thanks much, jav! That gives me something to start investigating with.
Old 21st March 2010, 16:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

my advice, check with the local bhpians, especially tata vehicle owners and find a decent workshop, preferably one which specializes in tata cars. they should not be hard to find.

the peace of mind is worth losing the warranty over
Old 21st March 2010, 22:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
SirAlec, sorry I am quite ignorant looking under the hood. How/where to make out the fan/fans?
Hi, Take a look in the engine compartment, between the engine/gearbox and the radiator. Do you see a fan there? Now look to the opposide side i.e. through the gaps in the grille/bumper. Do you see a fan there too? In the engien compartment look the whole length of the radiator for one or two fans. Please check when engine is cold and off. And do not stick your finger in to check. The fan can start even if engine is off.

You need to drive the car in traffic. With Aircon and without. Only in traffic and signals will the guage rise. It must and it should. Unless soemone has taken out the thermostat like SS traveler said. Or for some reason the guage is faulty. On the highway tempreature normally drops when you're driving in top gear. Also will drop when aircon is on since two fans work to cool the radiator and condensor
regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've become fairly good at diagnosis myself.
Greenhorn can you please check out my query at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...el-cars-5.html

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 21st March 2010 at 22:49.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

I'd seen the snap there, but come up empty. I guess *fairly* might be an overstatement

Just because the car has a few issues does not mean that you should sell it off right away. find an independent mech, and if he pleads helplessness, then sell
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Rajushank - I somehow feel the temperature guage to be the culprit; could you recheck that instrument once again? Again, what about the heat on the bonnet & the engine? Were they more than what the needle showed?

But man, you should be happy to have this car; Tata provided you with a marvellous engineering that not only cools inside the cabin, but also under the hood yet giving you the same great mileage.

OT - So this is the reason for the swift moves
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I believe your thermostat valve has been removed by an idiotic overzealous mechanic. Please check and get it replaced if it is missing.
+1 to this.
When the engine is cold, this thermostat valve, prevents the coolant from circulating. So, it deliberately prevents taking heat off the engine so allowing the engine to heat up faster. Engines are always most optimum at certain temperatures.

So, if this value is conked, your coolant may be circulatign all the time, and if you were driving on good roads, this would be good enough to cool the radiator and engine. The point is, as soon as the temperature dips below a certain temperature, this thermostat valve should have shut off, allowing the engine to heat up. This may be one possibility.

Second possibility is that the fan may be switching on way too often because of a bad thermostat, and cooling it further (I doubt if this is the problem, as even if the fan cools the radiator, it should not cool the engine, unless the coolant itself starts circulating).

Third possibility is the temp guage itself. It may be faulty and not showing the correct temperature. This could be the most likely ... in my opinion.

This is certainly bad that it has happenned after a service - speaks bad of Tata service.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

@rajushank, I own a DLS for the last 6 years and the following are my thoughts:

-the cooling fan usually kicks in when the temp needle points towards 90 degrees (ref. the picture - it should point towards 100 in the speedometer).
- in your case the fan kicks on when the temp needle points towards 45 degrees (points to 50 in speedo).
- the 45-degree position is the normal position it will point, when you switch on the car in a cold morning. That means, the said ZERO position (towars 0-10 in speedo) will never be reached; the needle will never swing below 45 degree.
- I assume that in your xeta, the needle goes BELOW 45 degree angle when you switch on, and the fan takes over when the needle is above 45 degree; it should have been AROUND 45 degree when you switch on and approx 90 degree when the fan gets engaged.
- so there is an offset of a 45 degree in your temp gauge. You can live with it till the next service IMO.

Pl note that by means of "degrees" I mean the radius (angle) and not the temp (celsius)

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd March 2010 at 14:58.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

there is a difference between the diesel & xeta fan setups. in the newer xeta models, tata decided to do away with the ac fan, and only the engine fan is there . so there is only one mode of operation, on & off , as opposed to the diesels where you have the off/series connnected/parallel connected modes.

here's a post by Achin Juneja on the matter
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/20141

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd March 2010 at 16:48.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Finally got it fixed!

Went to a different A.S.S (Concorde) early in the morning. Got hold of the first service advisor to walk in, and explained the whole problem. He too found it weird that the engine stays at zero temp.

It turned out to be a faulty temperature sensor. Got it replaced. Cost me Rs.400 (200 for the sensor, 200 for labour). The whole thing took around 4 hours (this is very less time at Concorde, usually). But at least they got it fixed!

On the way back, tried driving the car both with and without AC. The needle behaves normally now (goes up to the halfway mark).

Thanks much, everyone!
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed