Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiltable rear view mirror setting

@MODS: Really could not decide if it should be here or Advice section. and I could not find anything in search maybe my key words were wrong.

The question is: What should be the normal setting for tiltable rear view mirror? Almost all vehicle now come with titl mechanism in the inside rear view mirror that allows you to tilt the mirror at night to avoid glare of headlights of vehicle(s) behind you. Which is the proper setting out of the two:

A: Should the normal setting be that does anti-glare when tilt meachinism pushes the mirror up?
B: Should the normal setting be that does anti-glare when tllt meachinism pushes the mirror down?

I use setting B as old school drivers taught me. This way in case I need a better view (say when reversing etc.) all I have to do is push my chin down a bit and I have full mirror.

But some friends have argued that position A is better as the full glare is then diverted up to ceiling etc. etc.

What is correct view?
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:55   #2
jav
BHPian

In my car i have set the anti glare mode when the button is pulled up, that is it moves the mirror up, this gives a clearer view for me than the down position.

Last edited by jav : 23rd March 2010 at 11:00.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@MODS: Really could not decide if it should be here or Advice section. and I could not find anything in search maybe my key words were wrong.

The question is: What should be the normal setting for tiltable rear view mirror? Almost all vehicle now come with titl mechanism in the inside rear view mirror that allows you to tilt the mirror at night to avoid glare of headlights of vehicle(s) behind you. Which is the proper setting out of the two:

A: Should the normal setting be that does anti-glare when tilt meachinism pushes the mirror up?
B: Should the normal setting be that does anti-glare when tllt meachinism pushes the mirror down?

I use setting B as old school drivers taught me. This way in case I need a better view (say when reversing etc.) all I have to do is push my chin down a bit and I have full mirror.

But some friends have argued that position A is better as the full glare is then diverted up to ceiling etc. etc.

What is correct view?
I follow the same as jav. The reason for it is
1. If you look behind you carefully, you can see the dull images of the traffic behind you on the ceiling of your car.
2. The mirror then reflects this to give you a glare-free view
3. Also for me, just flipping the lever has the mirror in the proper place in both modes.
4. Reversing is also no problem, since I adjust the mirror to see from just behind my vehicle. Along with the ORVMs, I get a wide view of all traffic.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

There is no set answer. For example, In the Indica, normally the mirror is set to "away". I pull the knob and it becomes night mode(i.e. the mirror is angled up".
However in the Safari, if I do the same, the roof AC interferes, with bad reflection. So normal day mode is with mirror pulled towards me, and night mode is with it pushed away.
So do it whichever way it works better!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks