Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Future Tech : Your wish list for the automobile of tomorrow

Warm greetings to all fellow Team Bhpians !

This could be called a Wish List or a Wacky Ideas List. But these are some of the things that I want in my next automobile. I do hope that some of these features get incorporated in my lifetime, at least !

In addition to the “What”, I have also tried to think about the “How”, within my personal (at times wacky !) perspective and wishful thinking.

Here’s my Wish List (this is not in any order of preference) :

1. Dust free feature
Aim : No dust should ever settle on my car. So no scratches, no cleaning, just spanking new looks all the time!
How : Have a small flow of compressed air (released from a small air compressor), 24 hours, all over the body of the car, through aesthetically placed micro-nozzles distributed all over the car’s body. The air accumulator can get charged by a small compressor, while the engine is running.

2. Special Collision Survival Feature for high impacts
Aim : Pretty obvious. The impact of collision (such as a head on collision), which is usually tremendous, must get dissipated at a humanly bearable rate.
How : When the impact force is sensed beyond a limit, the inner cabin must get detached from its mounts and enter into a circular orbit within a guided track in the body of the automobile (a mini rollercoaster ?!). The orbit should get damped within a reasonable time frame, to preserve sanity. The cabin detachment should not get activated with minor shocks, else there would be chaos everywhere!

3. Water splash prevention
Aim : To protect other road users from getting splashed when my car goes through a waterlogged road.
How : Special wheel cover panels that get deployed to prevent water from spraying outwards from the wheels.

4. Complete all round visibility
Aim : To eliminate blindspots (like the ones caused by front and rear windscreen side pillars and door pillars while driving).
How : Use transparent structural materials at these areas (or specially toughened glass / composites, maybe).

5. Tyre cleaning feature (this one is for my housemaid)
Aim : To be able to rinse my muddy tyres before I enter my driveway
How : Have water nozzles directed at my tyres (like the windshield cleaner nozzle). Activate this a few metres before reaching home.

6. Wiperless windshields
Aim : To keep the glass scratch free and visibility at 100% and glare free.
How : A high pressure air zone near the windshield to prevent water from settling on the windshield (but how to do this? Help)

7. Floatation feature :
Aim : This is not to set off into the sea, or something like that. This is to make sure that I stay afloat if my car falls into a water body.
How : Deployment of emergency floatation bags, I guess.

8. Automatic dent release feature
Aim : To automatically wipe off dents caused by moderate knocks, by releasing dents very slowly (I say “very slowly”, as otherwise there would be no impact absorption, and only ping ponging of all vehicles!)
How : I am lost here. Any special plastics / materials for this ?

Any other ways and means on how the above can be realized?

Yes, there are cost implications to every feature added. But Economies of Scale should take care of these, I assume.

I felt there is no better forum than Team BHP for this, as I must say, with due respect to all, I have seen several amazing ideas here during my short stay thus far !

Any more wish lists ?

Last edited by mooza : 23rd March 2010 at 13:33.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. A completely re-designed front wind shield wiping system.

2. A new safety device quickly douses fire.

3. All these new wishlists will increase the electronics in the car. Electronics problems should be easily solvable even after the car is a decade old.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:21   #3
BHPian

1. All display on the windshield with Icons and Voice command Interaction
Aim: Get off with all fiddling of controls of the numerous wishes stated above ! :P and, more importantly to put an end to all disputes of Indicator on LHS / RHS. overall better "interaction" with the car.
How: dont know, but I think this technology is not from the future! seen it on F-TV years ago!! and now even on Knight Rider show.

Care.

Ace.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:33   #4
akp
BHPian

Changeable body colour.
Usually there are so many lovely shades available for each model, it is a pity one has to settle for just ONE when buying a car. It would be great if the colour can be changed depending on one's mood, or the occasion.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Changeable body colour.
Usually there are so many lovely shades available for each model, it is a pity one has to settle for just ONE when buying a car. It would be great if the colour can be changed depending on one's mood, or the occasion.
Awesome!! and maybe the onboard computer can give us choice of making our own shade from color band (just like in Adobe photoshop we see) and this way we can have unique color car.

One feature I would like, maybe cars like BMW, Mercs etc must be having this already and that feature is ability to level headlight beam from inside the car with push of button. Something like volume control, + to increase beam height and - to decrease.
Old 24th March 2010, 07:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey, @ Arun, driverace, akp, Hashim, some nice ideas coming through there!

Another thing that I feel should be added is the hill holding feature in manual transmission vehicles. At present, this is offered only in ATs.

Last edited by mooza : 24th March 2010 at 07:18.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
4. Complete all round visibility
Aim : To eliminate blindspots (like the ones caused by front and rear windscreen side pillars and door pillars while driving).
How : Use transparent structural materials at these areas (or specially toughened glass / composites, maybe).

There is some progress on this front, for aircraft, at least, going by the news link below :

Airbus Aircraft that Has Transparent Walls

I wish this gets implemented much earlier for the blindspot areas of automobiles as well

Last edited by mooza : 21st September 2010 at 10:14.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:31   #8
BHPian

How about this future vehicle have wings for a change On a more serious note, i would prefer this vehicle to be
1. Emission free - very important
2. Completely cut off glare during night driving
3. More intelligent. Technology that could help avoid mishaps thereby enhance security
Old 16th May 2011, 18:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Footwear compartments

The upcoming monsoons reminds me of the impending messy footwear marks on the floormats of our cars !

Objective : To prevent footwear dirt messing up the floormats.

How : Each passenger footwell could have a small chamber (with a closing flap/door) to accomodate a pair of footwear. Have a button on the door (or a suitable pillar) to open this footwear chamber, dump the footwear there prior to stepping in. Then step in and slip on your in - car footwear (similar to slipping on our separate house footwear ) to keep the floor spanking clean. The footwear chamber must be openable from below the car to allow access for periodic cleaning.
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Future Tech : Your wish list for the automobile of tomorrow

Seeing the monsoons ravage our cars these days all over the world, hope some of our innovative car manufacturers take up the development and commercialize the manufacture of aqua cars soon (example in link below)

https://www.shoppersshop.com/gibbs-l...quada-76656051

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks