Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 15:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Aren't bigger dia discs and bigger rotors the same?. . Did the Service Engineer tell you this?
SPIKE ARRESTOR, for a layman like me, they appear different. What are these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
The invoice given to me mentions only 'BRAKE KIT'.
dilipkumar7278, was any upgrade done for the rear brakes?
Old 27th March 2010, 16:14   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

dilipkumar7278, was any upgrade done for the rear brakes?
The upgrade is for front discs only.

Last edited by Dippy : 27th March 2010 at 17:52. Reason: Corrected quote
Old 28th March 2010, 07:42   #18
BHPian

I believe, that those Toyota fortuner owners who had been discerning enough to determine that the SUV does require a brake upgrade, shall get one from thier respective Toyota centers. Otherwise, most of the owners whom are unable to determine the urgent need for brake upgradation , are still doing well. AS far as one is concerned, the toyota fortuner brakes are not so bad as to call for 'mass recall' by toyota.

But, still when the SUV was launched some time back, one had it in mind a query: Why not provide disk brakes front and back? when in actuality they have provided disk brakes front and drum brkaes at back!!
Old 28th March 2010, 09:03   #19
BANNED

Sorry guys
Its actually bigger dia discs, bigger calipers and upgraded brake pads. The SA also mentioned about change in hubs which I am not so convinced. Does change to bigger discs warrant change in hubs? Experts can shed some gyan on this...
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Aren't bigger dia discs and bigger rotors the same?. Did the Service Engineer tell you this?

Spike
Old 28th March 2010, 09:44   #20
BANNED

Guys
The invoice does not mention the parts that are changed. Attaching the scanned copy of it.
Cheers
Dilip Kumar
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-scan0001.jpg  

Old 28th March 2010, 10:13   #21
BHPian

I completely second you on this one GTO. Its unfortunate that these companies (and I mean all of them) sell pricey automobiles which do not have rear discs. If they think the Indian consumer is still that dumb then they should try giving optional rear discs at cost to factory prices. See how many people take those up. Unlike other safety features that the Indian consumer has a tendency of ignoring because of the 'it doesnt happen to me / I am a safe driver / I dont need airbags/ I learnt on Premier Padminis and did not need ABS then , dont need it now' syndrome ; the brakes are something that everyone would be happy to pay a small premium for. That too if they must , for according to me at this price, Toyota could do well to not do cost cutting but make them mandatory. If nothing else, the recent recalls should have showed them how bad this can get for PR in case something goes wrong and the brakes are proven to be the culprit. So aye for a recall of the earlier fortuners and a double aye for must have disc brakes. I hope customers start raising a hue and cry about being taken for a ride with all manufaturers and force them to sell vehicles which are of this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, I still don't agree with providing rear drums on a 20 lakh automobile. That's just not done...all wheel discs are mandatory for an SUV of its size, price and power.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
I completely second you on this one GTO. Its unfortunate that these companies (and I mean all of them) sell pricey automobiles which do not have rear discs. If they think the Indian consumer is still that dumb then they should try giving optional rear discs at cost to factory prices.
the brakes are something that everyone would be happy to pay a small premium for. That too if they must , for according to me at this price, Toyota could do well to not do cost cutting but make them mandatory. If nothing else, the recent recalls should have showed them how bad this can get for PR in case something goes wrong and the brakes are proven to be the culprit. So aye for a recall of the earlier fortuners and a double aye for must have disc brakes. I hope customers start raising a hue and cry about being taken for a ride with all manufaturers and force them to sell vehicles which are of this day and age.
Recently at the Toyota Q show, I asked the question on Fortuner brakes to the Toyota officials. According to them there are issues in some batches manufactured till Dec09(?), and whenever a customer is reporting the issue, Toyota will do the needful to correct it. I guess Toyota wants to avoid bad publicity by doing a mass recall, and would prefer to do it discreetly.

I think we all agree with GTO's comment that a heavy SUV at that (or any?) price tag need better brakes. But Fortuner is sold globally with rear drum brakes. That being the case, I don't think Toyota is specifically taking Indian buyers for a ride when it comes to the brakes. Price tag is an entirely different matter altogether.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are the same, (they are similar to the ones you see on the bikes with disc brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Sorry guys
Its actually bigger dia discs, bigger calipers and upgraded brake pads. The SA also mentioned about change in hubs which I am not so convinced. Does change to bigger discs warrant change in hubs? Experts can shed some gyan on this...
Cheers
Not necessary, unless the spigot diameter is different for the older set up. If the diameters of mating parts are same, change is not necessary. Of course, design considerations are important as well.

Spike
Old 1st April 2010, 10:53   #24
BANNED

Recently at the Toyota Q show, I asked the question on Fortuner brakes to the Toyota officials. According to them there are issues in some batches manufactured till Dec09(?),

I think this is not true. Mine is January 2010 manufactured car.
Cheers
Dilip
Old 12th April 2010, 07:28   #25
BANNED

Update

Guys
Came back from a 400 km journey to coimbatore and back yesterday. The brakes now feel more confidence inspiring, earlier spongy feeling has reduced. There is a marked improvement in the pedal feel and the car stops more reassuringly. I suggest the brake upgrade to every fortuner owner and its worth it.
Now,Toyota what about the rear drums?
Old 19th April 2010, 18:03   #26
bhp
BHPian

My car went in for the first free service last week at lakozy toyota malad,

I had asked them to check if i have the upgraded brake setup in my car and they confirmed that my car indeed has the new setup...

I also compared the disc size of my car and the test drive vehicle from outside at the showroom and one can make out the difference in size.

I am glad that i have the new setup..
Old 20th April 2010, 15:43   #27
rbp
BHPian

My bro too got his fortuner upgraded with the new disc brake kit, after a lot of arguing with the dealer, one of the marketing guys went to the extent of telling my bro that he should not be driving the vehicle at 140+. He got a nice hearing from bro. After the disc upgrade he is still not satisfied with the way the vehicle stops, he says slight improvement but not confidence inspiring at all. He says he has to plan every barking in advance so that he does not hit vehicles in front. Our driver too says the same better than the earlier stuff, but he has to be very attentive while driving on highways , he says when driving the fortuner you cannot take your eyes off the road in front even for a second as he cannot rely on the brakes to stop in time.

Last edited by rbp : 20th April 2010 at 15:48.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
After the disc upgrade he is still not satisfied with the way the vehicle stops, he says slight improvement but not confidence inspiring at all. He says he has to plan every barking in advance so that he does not hit vehicles in front. Our driver too says the same better than the earlier stuff, but he has to be very attentive while driving on highways , he says when driving the fortuner you cannot take your eyes off the road in front even for a second as he cannot rely on the brakes to stop in time.
Unbelievable!!!

Now, I am really scared to see a Fortuner on my rear view mirror, while on the highway.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I am really scared to see a Fortuner on my rear view mirror, while on the highway.

Funny but true man, if its a Sedan then it would be half inside if a car like Fortuner hits from behind even at a low speed and if it has a mega bull bar like the one i saw yesterday on one of them then it really would be a game over.

Wonder why Toyota missed on rear discs, when Hyundai could provide it on i20 and Verna(earlier models), a 20 lk+ SUV should have had them, the weight is huge and you need better brakes to get the car to stop in time.

@ rbp,
I understand your bro's pain, i face the same issue in my non abs Scorpio and believe me its really scary sometimes when distance is reduced and the car just doesnt stop where you want it to. I have to take my foot off throttle and keep on brake whenever i wish to overtake trucks on highways.

At present it would be almost impossible for Toyota to give a retrofit rear disc set up to old customers as that would require a lot of work. My dad drove the Fortuner and was also disappointed by 2 things, Innova like interiors and average brakes.

We are contemplating buying a Fortuner but not without a rear disc set up, i have already learnt the importance of good brakes in a car the hard way when my Scorpio banged a poor Fiesta and i had to foot the bill
Old 20th April 2010, 17:20   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
.... After the disc upgrade he is still not satisfied with the way the vehicle stops, he says slight improvement but not confidence inspiring at all.....
Any idea what exactly was done?

If the dealer was so reluctant, i'm wondering if they went the whole 9 yards in giving you the newer components, as opposed to doing something like just changing the pads and bleeding the brakes.

cya
R

PS - Perhaps crosscheck parts with dilipkumar7278's pictures, in the small chance that you can actually spot a difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks