Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 10:39   #31
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Any idea what exactly was done?

If the dealer was so reluctant, i'm wondering if they went the whole 9 yards in giving you the newer components, as opposed to doing something like just changing the pads and bleeding the brakes.

cya
R

PS - Perhaps crosscheck parts with dilipkumar7278's pictures, in the small chance that you can actually spot a difference.
Well! the discs and the pads were replaced with bigger ones.

@coolboy007:- Now even hyundai has got rid off the rear discs for the i20. I am happy that my i20 has the rear discs and all the safety airbags.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Toyota upgrades fortuner's brakes.

Toyota upgrades Fortuner brakes | Autocar India
Old 21st April 2010, 18:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Toyota upgrades fortuner's brakes.

Toyota upgrades Fortuner brakes | Autocar India
Posting the images here for better comparison. Source same as above.

Old
Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-fortuner-old-brakes.jpg

New
Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-fortuner-new-brakes.jpg

Following is the image from Dilip's post.
Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-dilip.jpg
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Super! Thanks Sidindica / ACI.

So clearly the caliper has been replaced.
The article says the new disc is also thicker.

I wonder if the pads are changed as well, or the same ones are used?

Would love to have more technical details from someone who knows the specifics or had a chance to get hands on with the before & after.

cya
R
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my review on the brake upgrade: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1851963-post44.html

All March MFD Fortuners do NOT have the new brakes so whoever has got their car last month should get put in a complaint and get their brakes upgraded incase not already done.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:09   #36
BHPian

this is a great news, and good to see that Toyota finally took a step before some unfortunate incident involved Fortuner. But why was it not done from day 1? Any idea about brake offerings on Fortuners abroad?? did Toyota compromise on quality of such life saving equipment for Indian market??

A friend of mine works with a influential family of Kolhapur, he travels a lot with them and was glad to see that his employer had purchased Fortuner, but they had a scary experience on Pune-Mumbai expressway where the monster behaved erratically on brakes. The next thing I hear, they sell of Fortuner and buy a Montero
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
The next thing I hear, they sell of Fortuner and buy a Montero
If this spreads, seems like a good time to buy "pre-worshipped" Fortuners?
Old 24th April 2010, 15:44   #38
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Here's my review on the brake upgrade: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1851963-post44.html

All March MFD Fortuners do NOT have the new brakes so whoever has got their car last month should get put in a complaint and get their brakes upgraded incase not already done.
But isnt this really strange ??? I mean how come a company doesnt put upgraded brakes in half of its production model in the month of march itself..

My car should be manufactured in-around 1st or 2nd week of march and has upgraded brakes whereas i assume your car is manufactured in 2nd or 3rd week of march and still doesnt have upgraded brakes..

I really smell something fishy..
Old 24th April 2010, 23:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
But isnt this really strange ??? I mean how come a company doesnt put upgraded brakes in half of its production model in the month of march itself..

I really smell something fishy..
Keep in mind Fortuner is being manufactured for many years in other countries. Toyota knew about this problem and already had a fix in hand.

For the IDM Fortuner, looks like they decided to use Innova's brakes to save on cost. After the complaints they are switching to the bigger brakes.

Its not possible to design, tool-up and manufacture a new caliper in a matter of months. After all the screwups happening in the US, you would expect better from Toyota.

From ACI
Quote:
Its brakes use a system similar to that of the Innova, and were found woefully inadequate when we tested the SUV back in September last year. And buyer feedback confirms this.
Old 11th March 2011, 01:17   #40

Re: Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!

Hi friends! This thread has been quite useful as I have been considering Fortuner for quite some time now. Test drove multiple times, only to be disappointed by weak brakes every time. Did it on both TD vehicles at dealerships and pre-owned ones people selling after driving for just 2000-10000km (there are many in Bangalore). I have not been happy with even those Manufactured after April 2010. I think the Fortuner is badly in need of disc brakes on the rear as well.

My question: Does anyone know whether Toyota is going to do this (rear discs) any time soon? Also, is there any chance of an AT variant this year?
Old 4th September 2014, 13:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Recently at the Toyota Q show, I asked the question on Fortuner brakes to the Toyota officials. According to them there are issues in some batches manufactured till Dec09(?),

I think this is not true. Mine is January 2010 manufactured car.
Cheers
Dilip
I think now I'm going through this pain of Brake Kit issue. I have a 2009 fortuner pre-owned and looks like the ex-owner didn't perform the brake replacement.

Today I spoke to the service center and they said that since it is out of warranty vehicle they will charge for the replacement. How cruel, as there is no law that saves the customer interest, these companies first say case-to-case then out of warranty to avoid claims.

I have spoken to the customer care and dropped them an email showing all these evidence asking if warranty replacement has been offered why did the parts get new shape and size? Hence demanding them to replace it free of cost.

I'm certain it's kind of loosing battle but nothing to loose additionally and with almost no hope but to see if Toyota is sensitive for it's customer claims before spending this replacement cost.

Also Dilip to address your statement above as quoted, looks like the brake issue got corrected only after 2010 February, since yours is a 2010 January model you are well with in the bad bunch like mine (ref. the link below).

http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/...e1-536962.aspx

Here is my beauty without proper (handicap) brakes.

Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-dsc02697-copy.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 4th September 2014 at 13:07.
trammway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 14:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Not necessary, unless the spigot diameter is different for the older set up. If the diameters of mating parts are same, change is not necessary. Of course, design considerations are important as well.
Quote:
Any idea what exactly was done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
eagerly waiting for the update and the pics comparing the old braking equipment with the new one.
Though the above questions were pointing to Dilip, I thought I will share some answer to all of your queries. Finally TKM accepted my claim for faulty brakes in the Fortuner and the vehicle is currently at the dealer's workshop undergoing the organ transplantation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I'm certain it's kind of loosing battle but nothing to loose additionally and with almost no hope but to see if Toyota is sensitive for it's customer claims before spending this replacement cost.

Did I say loosing battle, NOooo! It is battle to be won! Almost writing a history for my Fortuner after 5 years of manufacturing date.

In fact now I got to learn what is that Brake Kit consist of when the replacement procedure took place years ago.

Last edited by trammway : 19th September 2014 at 14:32.
Old 17th February 2015, 15:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So clearly the caliper has been replaced.
The article says the new disc is also thicker.

I wonder if the pads are changed as well, or the same ones are used?

Would love to have more technical details from someone who knows the specifics or had a chance to get hands on with the before & after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
In fact now I got to learn what is that Brake Kit consist of when the replacement procedure took place years ago.

Since the brake pad/kit is worn out already when I was visiting the dealer/TKM for upgrading my brake kit hence they have asked me to share the brake pad kit cost and I quietly agreed. The cost of rest of the parts were close to Rs. 1.2L is what the dealer claimed.

the following pictures of my actual receipt shows all the part numbers and work carried to upgrade the brake kit.

Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-fullsizerender-1.jpg

Toyota upgrading Fortuner's brakes. Comparison pics added!-fullsizerender.jpg

After the upgrade I have driven couple of thousand kms but the end result of braking effect in Toyota Fortuner is far from perfection and very disappointed. There are two areas I'm thinking the brake may behave better, 1.) my tires as currently I have AT tires and 2.)I'm started looking for option to upgrade rear drum to disc brake kit. Looks like these options are plentiful at Thailand hence someone let me know if you have some idea on this front.

Also the physics and any other parallel components that I will need to look at this rear brake upgrade.

Last edited by trammway : 17th February 2015 at 15:34.
Old 22nd March 2018, 22:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Keep in mind Fortuner is being manufactured for many years in other countries. Toyota knew about this problem and already had a fix in hand.

For the IDM Fortuner, looks like they decided to use Innova's brakes to save on cost. After the complaints they are switching to the bigger brakes.

Its not possible to design, tool-up and manufacture a new caliper in a matter of months. After all the screwups happening in the US, you would expect better from Toyota.

From ACI
Old fortuner's original brakes were not Innova brakes, Fortuner's old brakes were also fixed caliper opposed piston brakes compared to then Innova's single piston slider.

I am told they used Prado's brakes for the Fortuner's brake upgrade.

Now hoping for a similar upgrade to Crysta, which I think will never happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks