Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 18:43   #1
BHPian

Some Minor Issues with Accent

Hi Gurus,

I require help from gurus and Accent owners in Bangalore, I recently purchased a used 2003 Accent 1.5 GLS

Yesterday took it to the Hyundai Free service camp and found out the following issues,

1. There was a constant metal to metal rubbing noise coming from the front left side of the car, Initially it was the Fog Lamp bulb which was lying on the body of the car and hence was rubbing with the body, however, got it fixed and the noise vanished, however, it again started coming and this time it was diagnosed to the Left side the of the bonnet as the culprit, The noise is not regular but when it starts, then it becomes irritating and continues even on butter smooth surface, else will not come even in worst of road conditions.

Trident Hyundai (Kalyan Nagar) told me to get both the left hinge replaced, however, quoted an amount of 1800 + labour for a single piece,

2. When the car was put on the lift, the service person showed me some signs of coolant leakage from the coolant hose, he also topped up the coolant reservoir with plain water, however, I have the car with me since about one month, and I have not noticed any leakage at the place where it is parked inside my home, I also double checked it since yesterday but no sign of any coolant leakage, Also, I have continously monitored the Temp Gauge of the car and never noticed it cross the marked signage for optimum performce, i.e. more than 35-40% mark, which seems ok to me, BTW, I have been regulalry red-lining the car in the last month.

The service personnel told me that a sealant can be used to plug this, however, the SA told me to get the entire coolant hose assembly replaced, costing around 3800 + labour.

3. The silencer of the car has minor rusting in the rear most portion because of which there are couple of small holes, about the size of a peanut.

The SA in Trident told me that this is no harm and I can continue using the car without any problems. However, I think this might have some affect on the Fuel Efficieny and also some power loss. I got 10 KMPL in my last tankful.

4. The Rear Right passenger door's Stopper needs replacement as the door opens upto 90 degrees.

Trident people have quoted 1K + labour for its replacement.

For Regular oil change, they have quoted around 4K which seems to be a bit on the higher side, I never paid so much for my City/WagonR/Altis/etc.

Hi gurus, pls guide and answer my above queries,

Also, I would request Accent owners in Bangalore to guide me to some good Service centre outside A.S.S and also to some spare parts shop where I can get the above mentioned parts.

I live in North Bangalore near the Outer Ring Road, hence a nearby place would be a great help.

@MODS : Pls move this thread incase it is wrongly posted.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:10   #2
BHPian

Shantanu,

All your solutions lie in one place - a good outside mechanic.

Point 1 - will require a patient analysis - which may lead to identification a minor problem. the mech will pick it up really fast.

Point 2- Coolant hose should never cost you so much.

Point 3 - Dont go for welding, the silencer will develop holes in other parts. go for aftermarket silencer outside Hyundai.

Point 4 - again, stopper wont cost you so much.

Go to Fairoz on JC road - 98454 65410

Refer to Advocate Harsha with Grey Accent.

There is another good mech I know but the advantage with Fairoz is that he is on JC road - where all aftermarket parts are available.

Silencer and Coolant etc. you can buy from Reliance Auto- Nilesh - 98808 96117. he is a distributor and will give you the best rates. again, my reference will help.

Minor parts like stopper etc you will get from retailers on JC road. Fairoz will guide you on that. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Harsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Hi Gurus,

I require help from gurus and Accent owners in Bangalore, I recently purchased a used 2003 Accent 1.5 GLS

Yesterday took it to the Hyundai Free service camp and found out the following issues,

1. There was a constant metal to metal rubbing noise coming from the front left side of the car, Initially it was the Fog Lamp bulb which was lying on the body of the car and hence was rubbing with the body, however, got it fixed and the noise vanished, however, it again started coming and this time it was diagnosed to the Left side the of the bonnet as the culprit, The noise is not regular but when it starts, then it becomes irritating and continues even on butter smooth surface, else will not come even in worst of road conditions.

Trident Hyundai (Kalyan Nagar) told me to get both the left hinge replaced, however, quoted an amount of 1800 + labour for a single piece,

2. When the car was put on the lift, the service person showed me some signs of coolant leakage from the coolant hose, he also topped up the coolant reservoir with plain water, however, I have the car with me since about one month, and I have not noticed any leakage at the place where it is parked inside my home, I also double checked it since yesterday but no sign of any coolant leakage, Also, I have continously monitored the Temp Gauge of the car and never noticed it cross the marked signage for optimum performce, i.e. more than 35-40% mark, which seems ok to me, BTW, I have been regulalry red-lining the car in the last month.

The service personnel told me that a sealant can be used to plug this, however, the SA told me to get the entire coolant hose assembly replaced, costing around 3800 + labour.

3. The silencer of the car has minor rusting in the rear most portion because of which there are couple of small holes, about the size of a peanut.

The SA in Trident told me that this is no harm and I can continue using the car without any problems. However, I think this might have some affect on the Fuel Efficieny and also some power loss. I got 10 KMPL in my last tankful.

4. The Rear Right passenger door's Stopper needs replacement as the door opens upto 90 degrees.

Trident people have quoted 1K + labour for its replacement.

For Regular oil change, they have quoted around 4K which seems to be a bit on the higher side, I never paid so much for my City/WagonR/Altis/etc.

Hi gurus, pls guide and answer my above queries,

Also, I would request Accent owners in Bangalore to guide me to some good Service centre outside A.S.S and also to some spare parts shop where I can get the above mentioned parts.

I live in North Bangalore near the Outer Ring Road, hence a nearby place would be a great help.

@MODS : Pls move this thread incase it is wrongly posted.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:31   #3
BANNED

I myself have a 2002 Accent GLS so can advise.

1. Quite often you can just adjust the front stop (rubber block which can be screwed in and out) on the side giving trouble to fix the noise. If this does not work then it is a shop job.

2. If it is the hose just tighten it. if it is the rediator then you should be able to get a proprietary sealant like Bars Leaks, or equivalent from Holt, Bardahl, etc. This works like a dream and lasts for a long time.

3. a excellent silencer can be bought and fitted in the open market for less than half the price. Repairs do not help since the whole thing would have almost rusted through.

Never use the A$$ for things like silencers, wind-shields, wipers, etc.

4. This is a shop job, go to the A$$ since paint matching may be tough otherwise.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hi Sir, I have been noticing your in-depth knowledge of vehicles and experience with the Accent in particular. I seek your advice on this.
I have a 2000 model Accent GLS (1.5) which has done 50,000 kilometres. Of late, I have been observing a tick-tick sound coming from under the bonnet. There is also a squeaking sound which is clearly emanating from the old rubber belts. However, the tick tick sound i believe is flowing from the engine.
One of the Hyundai *** mechanics attributed it to one of the valves. Is this sound common to most Accents of this mileage? An outside *** mech said it was the tappet sound comming in such vehicles and can be ignored. However, Hyundai mech suggested that the valves be checked and the erring valves be replaced. what would you suggest? My concern with the repair is also that i do not want to open a pandora's box. there is no trouble with the performance though.

Shantanu, apologies for hijacking the thread. Please let me know if you mind, I will start a fresh one.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

1. Quite often you can just adjust the front stop (rubber block which can be screwed in and out) on the side giving trouble to fix the noise. If this does not work then it is a shop job.

2. If it is the hose just tighten it. if it is the rediator then you should be able to get a proprietary sealant like Bars Leaks, or equivalent from Holt, Bardahl, etc. This works like a dream and lasts for a long time.

3. a excellent silencer can be bought and fitted in the open market for less than half the price. Repairs do not help since the whole thing would have almost rusted through.

Never use the A$$ for things like silencers, wind-shields, wipers, etc.

4. This is a shop job, go to the A$$ since paint matching may be tough otherwise.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for your inputs, Pls find my replies and suggest accordingly

1. Already tried adjusting the 2 rubber stoppers (the ones on the front of the bonnet on the car body on which the bonnet rests, no success. Hence, the A.S.S mentioned the hinge change, however, I doubt this as When I got the hinge checked outside at some local garage, it was tight enough without any play in it.

2. It definitely is not the radiator as the hose that he showed me with coolant marks was at some distance from the location of the Radiator, also, as I mentioned even after 4 days of car standing on the same place, today morning, when I started I did not find any residual of any type of leakage under car. Also, the engine temp is perfect without increasing to more than 40% on the temp gauge. I am planning to visit JC Road to get this checked.

3. Are Repairs urgent for this silencer, I mean that I can drive for couple of 1000 KMs or so with the same status as the 2 holes are just peanut in size and I do not face any problems while driving with it. But, yes, as expert would take your advice on this.

4. The stopper mentioned by me is actually on the inside of the car, without any paint matching, It is a small metal piece which goes inside the car body and actually helps in stopping the door at 2 places rather than opening completely,

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Hi Sir, I have been noticing your in-depth knowledge of vehicles and experience with the Accent in particular. I seek your advice on this.
I have a 2000 model Accent GLS (1.5) which has done 50,000 kilometres. Of late, I have been observing a tick-tick sound coming from under the bonnet. There is also a squeaking sound which is clearly emanating from the old rubber belts. However, the tick tick sound i believe is flowing from the engine.
One of the Hyundai *** mechanics attributed it to one of the valves. Is this sound common to most Accents of this mileage? An outside *** mech said it was the tappet sound comming in such vehicles and can be ignored. However, Hyundai mech suggested that the valves be checked and the erring valves be replaced. what would you suggest? My concern with the repair is also that i do not want to open a pandora's box. there is no trouble with the performance though.

Shantanu, apologies for hijacking the thread. Please let me know if you mind, I will start a fresh one.
No problem at all, Even I would love all Accent guys to use this thread to get their Accent issues resolved from the experts, , even I will learn from this.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Thanks a lot for your inputs, Pls find my replies and suggest accordingly

1. Already 3. Are Repairs urgent for this silencer, I mean that I can drive for couple of 1000 KMs or so with the same status as the 2 holes are just peanut in size and I do not face any problems while driving with it. But, yes, as expert would take your advice on this.
Silencer repairs are least urgent and you can get it done even after a few years without any harm.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Harsha, That tick tick sound is due to the improper alignment of tappids, Its advisable to get the gaps adjusted, its just a 5-10 minutes job. Do remember to get the Timing checked after this. Also if the sound does not go after this you might have to get the valves grinded for the sound to go. There is nothing wrong with that sound and noting will break, but its a sign of wear so getting it fixed is advisable.

@Shantanu: the holes in the scilencer is ok, it will not affect the millage much if its the size you mentioned. As a stop gap you can remove the entire scielencer and get it welded. Thats what i did to my lancers scilencer and its holding great for the last 8-9 months, over all cost 400 Rs.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 8th April 2010 at 17:16.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
@Harsha, That tick tick sound is due to the improper alignment of tappids, Its advisable to get the gaps adjusted, its just a 5-10 minutes job. Do remember to get the Timing checked after this. Also if the sound does not go after this you might have to get the valves grinded for the sound to go. There is nothing wrong with that sound and noting will break, but its a sign of wear so getting it fixed is advisable.

Pramod
Thanks a lot pramod, i am informed that the tappets in the accent are hydraulically adjusted. therefore, we may not be able to set them. they would only have to be changed. is it correct? if so, can i do without changing them?
Old 16th April 2010, 10:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of late, I have been observing a tick-tick sound coming from under the bonnet.
...the tick tick sound i believe is flowing from the engine.
Likely source is the power steering pump. Accent power steering pumps produce such a sound, but continue to operate for a long time without any issues. Change/top up the power steering fluid, the noise might reduce a little.

Edit: Tappets are hydraulically damped, so no chance of such a noise from there. It could also be from the fan belt idler pulley bearings.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th April 2010 at 10:38.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Likely source is the power steering pump. Accent power steering pumps produce such a sound, but continue to operate for a long time without any issues. Change/top up the power steering fluid, the noise might reduce a little.

Edit: Tappets are hydraulically damped, so no chance of such a noise from there. It could also be from the fan belt idler pulley bearings.
Hi Pal, its a relief to hear that it cant be tappet sound. but the mechanics in hyundai said that it is coming from one of the valves and therefore would have to be checked and replaced. but i do not trust them at all. plus my fan belt and alternator belt are anyway very old now and are making the sqeaking sound - could changing the belt help with the tick tick sound as well?
Old 16th April 2010, 12:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pal, its a relief to hear that it cant be tappet sound. but the mechanics in hyundai said that it is coming from one of the valves and therefore would have to be checked and replaced. but i do not trust them at all. plus my fan belt and alternator belt are anyway very old now and are making the sqeaking sound - could changing the belt help with the tick tick sound as well?

Harsha, there is a gap between each tappt, this increases due to continous operation, when the gap increases it makes a lot of noise, getting the gap adjusted at a competent place would not cost you a lot and more over the belts make a squeeling sound so the tic tic sound is the tappet.

Pramod
Old 16th April 2010, 14:23   #12
BHPian

Update on my Minor Issues

Well, yesterday, I just got some enough time to visit JC Road, bangalore (assistance from Harsha) and got the following things done

Replaced Rear Silencer for INR 2820 - Reason Holes in it,
Replaced Bottom Hose of Coolant for INR 240 - It was found to be cut at one place.
Bonnet Hinges – Replaced Both sides for INR 600 - The bonnet noise is completely gone now.
Replaced Coolant for INR 183 - Delphi make

Replaced Engine oil with Chevron Havoline Synthetic Engine Oil 4L for INR 1500

Total Spares Cost = 5343 Including Taxes
Labour Paid – INR 700
Grand Total – 6043

The Driveability has increased and it seems that engine is more refined and appears more smooth, Acceleration has increased and the lag of 2nd gear has almost vanished.

Now, I am thinking of posting my entire used car saga on this forum, just that the Bangalore weather is making me somewhat lazy.

Thanks a lot to Harsha, sgiitk and all others for their support and assistance.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:31   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...my fan belt and alternator belt are anyway very old now and are making the sqeaking sound - could changing the belt help with the tick tick sound as well?
Change the belts - yes. Have the tension on the belt checked and adjusted properly. Also check and change the timing belt if the engine has done more than 60k km. If the alternator/AC belts are too tight you could get such a tick-tick sound from the bearings.

Also, use a large screwdriver or a Mechanic's Stethoscope | Tools to check and isolate the noise you describe - easy to check the power steering pump like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
...getting the gap adjusted...
There are no adjusters to the Accent's rockers/tappets - they are hydraulically adjusted. Hydraulic tappet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 21:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
There are no adjusters to the Accent's rockers/tappets - they are hydraulically adjusted. Hydraulic tappet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Didnt know this , engine technology is advanced than me.

Pramod
Old 15th June 2010, 09:38   #15
BHPian

Same Tick Tick sound from my Accent engine, its not always but when it starts its irritating and the pickup also goes down. I showed it to talwar hyundai and they said its a problem with the rocker arm/hydraulic Lashes, so they cleaned the lashes with thinner and delivered the vehicle saying it should work fine now and they also tested it, i was happy but while going home again it started, guys can anyone help me in this

They are asking me to change 12 Lashes now :(, What should I do?

Last edited by torque4u : 15th June 2010 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks