Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 12:09   #16
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
And, what is the actual reason for brakes squealing on low force braking?
A slighty worn out brake pad is what leads to this sound - also, if the brake discs are dirty with dust, you will hear this sound.

Sometimes, this could also be due to overheating of the brake discs especially during long drives on the highway or ghat sections where frequent braking is called for.

If your brake feel, bite and pedal travel is normal, you don't have to worry.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Sometimes, this could also be due to overheating of the brake discs especially during long drives on the highway or ghat sections where frequent braking is called for.
This is mostly a hissing sound, termed as "Brake Fade".

Spike
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:46   #18
BHPian

Thanks for all the help, BHPians!
Old 6th April 2010, 16:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
....The upside is that braking is instant and the effect of a wet rotor is negligible.
There are also certain advanced braking systems (eg. in some BMWs) that keep the pads on the disc in wet conditions to help keep them dry.
Also, if the accelerator is left suddenly, the brakes are pre-engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Is there any alignment for this? Can this alignment lead to stronger/weaker breaks (not considering the pedal depression needed, for example, under quick breaking)?
AFAIK there is no alignment setting, which is a good thing.

In other words, it is self-aligning and self-equalizing (pressure).

This can be done in two ways :

1) Floating Caliper : The caliper moves back and forth on a set of pins. Typically it has a piston only on one side. (This is a good cost saving).
Disc brakes - A small query.-discbrake31.jpg
Image source

2) Fixed Caliper : There is a piston on each side of the caliper and the hydraulics equalize the pressure by default. Could be 2, 4, 6, 8 etc pistons per caliper.
Disc brakes - A small query.-350pxbcallipers_01m.jpg
Image source

cya
R
Old 6th April 2010, 17:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread was where I found it appropriate to post an experience that I had with the Disc brakes of my WagonR. I got my first set of pads replaced from MASS in Bangalore when the ODO was reading 40XXX kms.

After the ODO clocked 97XXX kms I was in Pune then and visited Shetty's Maruti Service located in Sanghvi for the pads replacement since I wasnt feeling the bite in the braking which was very necessary for my frequent Pune-Bangalore-Pune trips I did then.

I was charged 650INR for the pads which came with good packing and making it almost difficult to even doubt its originality. But I had my initial doubts since MASS charged me 980 INR for the set of pads. The Manufacturer's name was engraved as TVS-Girling (Brakes India Ltd product).

After proper fitting with all the necessary brake fluid bleeding I started to drive and since the pads were new the bite factor wasnt there immediately and I continued driving for another day but having driven almost 80 Kms in and around the city I started to doubt the replacement pads. Since I had to drive back to Bangalore the next day, I located a Bosch Service Center on Karve road who inspected the pads and were satisfied with it but I still got the bleeding done since I was suspecting the pads were at times holding on to the dics and even making those unplesant screeching noises.

Even after normal drives with an almost zero braking I could feel the heat from the front rims and I was getting nervous now despite of a second check done at Bosch service. There were punctures on 2 occasions on the way to Bangalore that night and during both the occasions there were no signs of any sharp object. For the throttle position at which I normally drive, my car was struggling to touch the 100kmph mark and decellerating on gradients. I somehow reached Bangalore and the next day I headed to Mandovi Motors (MASS) for another inspection.

They verified the pads and found nothing wrong again and still did a bleeding and checked the brakes and said all was OK. I drove to Belur the next day and found no difference with the brakes.

Finally, I Insisted to change to a new set of pads since I experienced the problem ONLY AFTER the pads were replaced. The new set of pads were costing me 980 and when the packet was opened, I started to compare the pads very closely.
  • The design, thickness was absolutely the same including the engraved TVS -Girling mark.
  • I somehow found the materials were different. The set from Pune looked almost black while the MGP looked dark grey.
  • On the sidewalls of the pads from Pune, I could read APACHE printed (does this mean that the pads were designed exclusively for TVS Apache's Disc brake system??)
Once replaced, the difference was IMMEDIATE. I got back the bite, smoothness as well as the play in the braking system. No screeching noises now.

Since I knew that I just had to replace the pads and didn't want to go to the MGP dealer in Pune to get the pads assuming that Shetty's in Pune will install an original part, I didn't visit any MASS. (That was my biggest mistake).
Though the part replaced ay Shetty's can be an original product, I still feel that they were not meant for my WagonR or even a 4 wheeler (I can be wrong but my experiences say so).

Hence, for all those who replace their pads, please ensure that they are original and intended for your car make/model.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:34   #21
BANNED

In that case is it the Ceramic brake pads that gets heated on over breaking? that fail the brakes? well, once it cools brakes act normal.

is it because of the temperature the pads cannot handle?
Old 6th April 2010, 17:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
In that case is it the Ceramic brake pads that gets heated on over breaking? that fail the brakes? well, once it cools brakes act normal.

is it because of the temperature the pads cannot handle?
Quite possible too but the noise was more audible only after driving for a few kilometers but the ability to stop/slow down during braking remained the same even at colder temperatures or after driving many a kilometers. I somehow suspect the material itself which was the culprit.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Also, if the accelerator is left suddenly, the brakes are pre-engaged.
AKA Brake Assist. Now comes standard in a lot of cars.

Most brake calipers these days are fixed calipers with the hydraulics handling the pad alignment. Electronic brake force distribution handles variances across wheels. Most brake systems these days are extremely rugged and fool proof. But do not fool with the hydraulics unless you know what you're doing.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:55   #24
BHPian

Can the rear drum brakes on cars be replaced easily with discs?
Old 6th April 2010, 19:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Easily? No. If the car has a variant that comes with rear discs standard, then you can do it if you replace all the hydraulic components that are different from that variant along with the rear rotors/calipers. Otherwise, it is very unwise to screw around with your car's braking system. Especially if your car is equipped with ABS.
Old 6th April 2010, 19:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldnt say its easy nor would it be a herculean task to achieve. With the right equipment and expertize its possible. Most folks who convert their Zen's into e-zens or b-zens would generally go in for a rear disc setup for braking efficiency.
Old 6th April 2010, 19:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ventilated discs?

I saw pictures of some brake discs (not brake pads) with holes in them. Are they 'ventilated' discs? If it's so easy to make a ventilated disc by drilling holes, why doesn't every manufacturer do this?
Old 6th April 2010, 20:17   #28
BANNED

discs with holes in them are caller drilled rotors,and having fins seperate the two braking surfaces of rotor so that air can be drawn in by shape of fins in between the two braking faces to keep them cool is ventilated disk
Old 6th April 2010, 20:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I saw pictures of some brake discs (not brake pads) with holes in them. Are they 'ventilated' discs? If it's so easy to make a ventilated disc by drilling holes, why doesn't every manufacturer do this?
Brakes with holes-drilled are cross-drilled brakes. Ventilated ones have air passages between the disc walls.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:59   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AKA Brake Assist. Now comes standard in a lot of cars.
True - however, BA is about applying more pressure during the sudden depression of the pedal (panic braking etc).
The act of pre-engaging the brakes when the accelerator is left suddenly can be an additional feature of BA, but isn't always included in BA.

Quote:
Most brake calipers these days are fixed calipers with the hydraulics handling the pad alignment...
Could you name some Indian cars which are floating caliper?

Why is it that fixed calipers seem to be preferred?

Quote:
This is a loong discussion. Suggest you continue it in an existing thread :

Drum brakes to disc (Drum brakes to Disc)

Modify existing rear drum break to disc brake in HONDA CITY Gxi.

Disc brakes for rear wheel

Rear discs on zen

There are others too - you will need to search for em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
...by drilling holes, why doesn't every manufacturer do this?
Additional manufacturing process and therefore higher cost to make, and has little advantage in typical driving conditions. (Hence only seen on high performance cars).

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks